Monday, December 26, 2011

Teaser Tuesday: An Old Favorite-Grafton

I hope everyone had a great weekend and wonderful holidays!


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:



1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a random page
3. Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
5. Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

I am still reading the same Kindle book as last week, but have a new physical book; it's a series I started reading as a teen. The current book is V is for Vengeance, by Sue Grafton:


"A black Mercedes sedan accelerated out of the slot, swung sharply, and careened backward in my direction. The younger woman had an arm over the front seat, zeroing in on me, the car zigzagging as she corrected her aim." p. 32

This series by Sue Grafton follows a female private investigator, an ex-cop. She was one of the first major female protagonists I remember reading. Even now, she's a stronger female character, who doesn't do the stupid things some of the current female protagonists do.

One interesting thing about this author is that she sets her books sequentially, setting the entire series in order and fairly close in time. This means that the book I picked up this month, though published this year, is still set in the 80's. She keeps her details accurate for the time (so no cell phones!). I haven't run into anyone else who does this (not to say no one else does, just that I'm not aware of them), and I think it's quite interesting. It's fun to get lost in the scenery of the 80's. The end of the series is drawing near, and I'll be sad to see it go.

What are you reading? Have you read a series that stays true to a different time? Would you ever consider writing one in this fashion?

May you find your Muse.

29 comments:

DHB said...

I got some of Sue Grafton's books for Christmas, but wasn't sure if I would read them - I definitely will now! Here's my teaser: http://danielleheartsbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/teaser-tuesday-6.html

Unknown said...

I like the sound of this, thanks for sharing!

Here's my TT:
http://ttoria.blogpsot.com

TToria
xo

Shannon Lawrence said...

Danielle, if you like a classic type of murder mystery, it's a great series.

TToria, I hope if you read it that you enjoy it!

Krafty Beginnings said...

This sounds like a great series, thank you for sharing.

Thank you also for stopping by my blog.

Katie

Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe I've actually never read Grafton! I like the genre just have never picked up one of her titles!

Thanks for stopping by mine. :)

Li @ rulethewaves.net said...

Thrilling teaser! I've been seeing that book in the bookstore but I never bothered reading what it was about. Thanks for dropping by my blog, happy reading! =)

Shannon Lawrence said...

Katie, I do enjoy the series! I hope you do, too.

Amanda, it's definitely worth a read to see if you like it, especially if you like the genre!

Li, I'm wondering how effective her covers are for those who haven't read the series before. I still remember the cover for G is for Gumshoe; it was an eye catcher.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I'd move out of the way of that car.


Mine is from Death Comes to Pemberly

Shannon Lawrence said...

Brooke, indeed! No worries; she's an intelligent protag. :D

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Such a good writer. Can't you just SEE that scene?
My teaser is here: http://iousex.blogspot.com/2011/12/teaser-tuesday-dec-27.html

Sonia Lal said...

I've been thinking about starting the first book in this series.


mine: http://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/teaser-tuesday-kaeleers-heart/

Shannon Lawrence said...

Sandra, she's good at setting a scene, which I figure is probably important when you're set in a different time.

Sonia, it's definitely worth a read to see if you like it!

Jennifer @ Bad Bird Reads said...

Wow, that sounds like a great book. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower. New follower.

Jennifer@Reading and Writing Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've been following Grafton for awhile, too, and I'm also fascinated by the settings and the time period.

I think the character really has to rely on legwork and her gut instincts, since she doesn't have the modern technology.

She is also a fabulous character...funny, feisty, and she feels like a friend by now.

Thanks for sharing. I loved this latest book, too.

Here's MY TT POST and
MY WEBSITE

Karen and Gerard said...

Good teaser, thanks for stopping by earlier.

Unknown said...

I can't believe I've never heard of Grafton! Loved the teaser, very tense.

http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/teaser-tuesday-4.html

Elizabeth said...

Awesome teaser...Sounds like a great book!

Anonymous said...

An exciting teaser.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/teaser-tuesday_27.html

Golden Eagle said...

I've never read anything by Sue Grafton, though I've heard of her and seen that series around. Great teaser!

Hmmm. I'm not sure if I'd ever try writing a series like that--I might get tired (or bored) of the world after a while. :P

Cherie Reich said...

Great teaser! I've been wanting to read this series for several years. Maybe once they're all out, I'll sit down and read them back to back.

Fireflywishes said...

I haven't read any of that series, but i bet I would like it , I love mysteries and series are awesome to get lost in. How cool it's set in the 80's , i didn't know that before! Great teaser!

Thanks for hopping by my blog and have a great New Years :)

April @ My Shelf Confessions

Bex said...

Sounds interesting! Definitely a great teaser choice. Thanks for stopping by!

Yvonne said...

I never read this author, but I just downloaded A is for Alibi by her and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Jen said...

What a fun idea! I'll have to join in sometime. I've always meant to read a sue grafton book...maybe I'll get around to it soon!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Jennifer, it's good so far!

Laurel, I agree with everything you said. There's something to be said for having to do the work. Seems pretty boring when all a PI protag has to do is look something up online.

Karen and Gerard, my pleasure!

Kah, she's under rated, I think. I've never seen big advertizing by her or anything like that.

Elizabeth, I'm enjoying it!

TBM, thanks!

Golden Eagle, could be! Then again, I think the same could be said of a story on a different planet or a future time.

Cherie, it shouldn't be much longer before that is possible.

April, if you like mysteries, I'm betting you'll like this series!

Rebecca, thanks!

Yvonne, I hope you like it! Also, I had no idea she'd put any out on e-book, so that is good to know, as well.

Jennee, I hope you do and that you like it (both for joining in and reading Sue Grafton).

Arlee Bird said...

I never read any Grafton novels, but here series was part of my inspiration for doing the A to Z Challenge.

Lee
Wrote By Rote

Shannon Lawrence said...

Lee, makes sense! She's managed to pull it off quite convincingly, I think.

Janiera said...

That sounds like a fun and fast read! Really good teaser.
My Teaser Tuesday

Shannon Lawrence said...

Janiera, thanks! It was a fun and fast read.