Thursday, December 15, 2011

Helpful Links: Big Contests (Amazon & Writer's Digest) & More!

I don't typically blog on Thursdays, but I figured I could pass along a few interesting/helpful links from now on (when I have them).

Did you know Amazon has a Breakthrough Novel Award? I didn't until this week, so I definitely wanted to spread the word for those interested. You can enter if you are an author with an unpublished OR previously self-published novel. They start accepting entries on January 23, 2012. Will you be entering? Has anyone entered this contest before?

Before we get to the next contest, which Indie writers may be particularly interested in, did you know the Blogging From A To Z April Challenge Blog was the Blog of Note this past week on the 12th? If you hop by the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge Blog, you can catch a series of reflections posts about the 2011 A-to-Z, as well as some new posts about it. Mine's coming at the end of the month, so stay tuned! Are you getting geared up for the A-To-Z? Participating this year?

Okay, for the second contest, Writer's Digest has an annual Self-Published Book Awards Competition. I was shocked to see this is their 20th year of honoring self-published authors. It's a great reminder that self-publishing is by no means a new thing. Deadline is April 20, 2012, to submit your self-published work. I'd love to see one of our Indie bloggers win this thing! Anyone considering entering this? Entered it before?

Those are the links for today! Come back tomorrow for an interview with James Hutchings.

Any interesting links you'd like to share?

May you find your Muse.

10 comments:

Mark said...

I didn't know about this, thanks for the tip!

Jo Schaffer said...

I am intrigued... what happens for the winner?
I will have to look into this. (=

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I plan to do the A to Z Challenge again. Already have a theme, too!

Christine Rains said...

Awesome links! Thank you. I'm having a holiday book giveaway on my blog at http://christinerains-writer.blogspot.com/

J.A. Kazimer said...

Do you plan to enter the amazon breakthrough novel contest? I did the first year they had it, and enjoyed the experience, but the categories are limited. I say why not try it. It's free. And you're amazing!

Andrew Leon said...

I entered last year with House. I made it through the first round of judging. I'm considering entering again this year; although, I haven't decided for sure.

Arlee Bird said...

To give a measure of the effectiveness of being listed as a "Blog of Note" the A to Z Blog gained over 100 followers since that honor went up.

I should try to finish my WIP in time to send it to the Breakthrough contest. So much to do and so little time. Alas!


Lee
A Faraway View

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I've never entered any writing contests. I'm too big of a chicken. But good luck if you do! :D

Nice to *meet* you! :)

Shannon Lawrence said...

Mark, glad it is useful!

Jo, I'm not sure. I didn't see a lot of information yet.

L. Diane, excellent! I do not have a theme yet (or even know if I am doing one).

Christine, thanks for the link!

Julie, it's FREE!? Well, there is a good chance I will be entering it!

Andrew, I was wondering if this was the contest you entered.

Lee, that is great news! Yes, I need to get my editing done if I'm going to enter. Now to figure out how to find the time.

Chantele, oh I hope you do sometime! I understand the feeling, though. I've only entered two, and both were this year. Nice to meet you, as well.

Mark Murata said...

Thank you for the tip, Shannon. That's very useful.