Wednesday, December 28, 2011

[Mostly] Wordless Wednesday: Now, That's How You Sign a Book!

I had the good fortune to meet illustrator Michael Hague and get his signature on a couple of his books at Imagination Space in the Citadel Mall, here in Colorado Springs.


Tell me that isn't an excellent way to sign a book! You see those drawings? Each book he signed, he did a quick (and spectacular) illustration. The fairy book is for my daughter, and signed to her, The Velveteen Rabbit is for my son, and The Hobbit is mine, my preciousssss. Oh, sorry, the geek in me came out for a minute. I read The Hobbit for the first time in fifth grade, and have since read it a few times. Now I have a wonderfully illustrated copy to read with my children!

What's the best or most exciting signature you've ever gotten in a book (or other object)?

May you find your Muse.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Twist said...

Wow! It would take me three hours to draw anything like that, and it would probably look all wonky.

For me, the most exciting book signature was from Robertson Davies, venerable icon of Canadian Literature. I attended a reading by him in 1986 or so, and got to chat with him briefly while he signed my copy of the Deptford Trilogy.

D.E. Malone said...

* I was at the LA SCBWI conference in 2008. David LaRochelle, author/illustrator of The End was there and signed and drew a very elaborate illustration of a princess and a knight in my copy of his book. Thrilling!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Elizabeth, me, too, undoubtedly. Very cool experience!

Dawn, what an experience! Amazing how they can do that so quickly and have this mini piece of art sitting there.

Christine Rains said...

Oh wow! That's awesome! My best experience was meeting George R.R. Martin. He's amazing... even when I lost my voice just saying hi to him and couldn't say anything else! *LOL*

Andrew Leon said...

I wish I could draw like that. I have to content myself with coming up with catchy phrases to go with my signature.

Rebecca said...

how cool

Pearson Report said...

There's something about a signed book!

One signature that comes to mind, sitting on my shelf of inspiration, is from Carol Berg. I had the pleasure of meeting her at a Writers Conference, back in 2006, where she gave me the push I needed to finish what I had started.

Enjoy your signed books.
Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

Shannon Lawrence said...

Christine, wow, now that is cool!

Andrew, same will be true here. I'd like to think of something clever for signings, though. Nobody wants me to draw...

Becca, it was very cool!

Jenny, Carol is such a wonderful person, and an awesome writer. What a delight to hear her as a favorite signer! One of the MC's for the local conference mentioned how, when others were sitting around, she went up to her room to write, even though it was only for about a 20 minute period. Everyone else was in limbo, but she was working. She's an inspiration.