Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Teaser Tuesday 9/27/11







Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

Grab your current read
Open to a random page
Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This teaser is from The Spirit Lens, by Carol Berg, another Colorado author (Fort Collins, I believe), p.48:

Dante hoisted himself up with his stick and strode back toward the path and the house. Before I could decide whether to chase him down, he halted, spun in place, and jabbed a finger toward Ilario. "Dress me like this strutting cock, and I still could not get near them. Do I walk up to the gate and apply for the position of queen's assassin?"

As you can maybe see, I am back to working my way through books I got from this past spring's writer's conference.

From the back cover:

In a kingdom on the verge of a grand renaissance, where natural science has supplanted failing sorcery, someone aims to revive a savage rivalry...

For Portier de Savin-Duplais, failed student of magic, sorcery's decline into ambiguity and cheap illusion is but a culmination of life's bitter disappointments. Reduced to tending the library at Sabria's last collegia magica, he fights off despaire with scholarship. But when the King of Sabria charges him to investigate an attempted murder that has disturbing magical resonances, Portier believes his dreams of a greater destiny might at last be fulfilled.

As the king's new agente confide, Portier--much to his dismay--is partnered with the popinjay Ilario de Sylvae, the laughingstock of Sabria's court. Then the need to infiltrate a magical cabal leads Portier to Dante, a brooding, brilliant young sorcerer whose heretical ideas and penchant for violence threaten to expose the investigation beford it's even begun. But in an ever-shifting landscape of murders, betrayals, old secrets, and unholy sorcery, the three agentes will be forced to test the boundaries of magic, nature, and the divine.


What are you reading? Any writers local to you that you'd recommend?

10 comments:

Shelly said...

There are so many good ones out there to read. Will I ever catch up? Will I ever get to them all?

Amy said...

Great teaser! I haven’t had the chance to read this one yet, but it’s definitely being moved up on my TBR list! Thank you for sharing! :)

Here’s mine:

http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2011/09/teaser-tuesdays.html

Rebecca said...

what a tease you are

Anonymous said...

Interesting teaser.

Please check out my teaser.

Cherie Reich said...

Interesting teaser. It makes me want to read more. :)

Anonymous said...

Good teaser!

here's mine:

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/teaser-tuesday_27.html

Unknown said...

Sounds really interesting.

Here's mine:
http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/09/teaser-tuesdays_27.html

Keisha said...

I always enjoy reading books by authors in my home state, it makes them that much more fun to read!

Here's my TT for the week: http://ksbooks.wordpress.com/2011/09/27/teaser-tuesday-56/

Shannon Lawrence said...

Domesticgoddess, will check it out!

Shelly, probably not, but it's sure fun to try!

Amy, thanks, will be by soon!

Becca, hee hee, you know it!

Cherie, excellent!

Tribute Books Mama, thanks, will stop by!

Valentina, it's interesting, but slow going for me.

Keisha, I love to find landmarks or just a mentality or something I'm very familiar with.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Alice, wasn't ignoring you, but it had stuck you in the spam folder. Will be coming by a bit late to see your teaser.