Thursday, September 29, 2011

Do Writers a Favor--Review!

I don't do reviews on the blog, but I've repeatedly seen pleas by authors to review their books. Though I still have no intention to do reviews on here (the closest I'll get is Teaser Tuesdays), I did break out of my comfort zone to do a couple reviews on Amazon the other day. I have yet to do them on Goodreads, as I don't really go on there ever, but I will try to do so in the near future.

Indie and new authors need these reviews the most, in my opinion. Go to the page of an established author's book and you will find many reviews. Go to a new author's page and you may find zero reviews. Which one are you more likely to purchase?

In an age where more purchases are being made online, hearing what other people thought about the book is getting more important. If I can't skim through the book, having an array of reviews is incredibly helpful. Yes, Amazon offers the ability to look at random pages, and that's great, but it's not the same as being able to flip wherever you please (and I understand why they can't offer that ability, of course).

Blurbs on the back of a book can only give you so much of an idea about its contents. Reviews can offer a little more insight. Even before the digital age, word of mouth was an important selling point. Help a writer out and review their book, whether on your blog, Goodreads, Amazon or some other forum. They'll appreciate it!

Now for a quick Project 52 update!


My internet was down for hours the other day. Hours! Gasp! Had I not been in the midst of dying from some virus, I could have gotten far more done. However, I did take advantage of my social black hole to finally, FINALLY, transfer some short stories onto the computer. I learned that I need to take care to write legibly, as there were some parts it was a struggle to read. Whoops! That's alright, my handwriting is why everyone thought I'd be a doctor when I grew up. Showed them!

I've also done a considerable amount of research for the flash fiction contest I'm chairing, so I'm crossing that out to keep myself moving forward. I just need to compile some of the information to present to my Pen Women group in October and hash out the final rules. Then I can get it out there, and I really hope to see a bunch of entries from my fellow bloggers!

Lastly, I got a bunch of old photos scanned to disk. Now that I've started, it should be easier to continue. Crossing that one off my list, too! Woo-hoo!

What do you think about book reviews? If you're a published author, how do you find them helpful? If you do reviews, where do you do them?

May you find your Muse.

18 comments:

Cherie Reich said...

That's great about getting some short stories onto your computer, not so much about the internet being down, though.

I think book reviews are great. If I'm on the fence about a book, they can sway me one way or the other. As a published author, they also help people hear about my book too. I do write reviews and post them on my book reviews blog, Goodreads, Amazon, etc. It's all about spreading the word. No one can buy your work if they don't know about it, after all. :)

Jennie Bennett said...

There have been a few authors that have given away their book for free on Smashwords and I feel like that generosity deserves a good turn, so I will generally review those everywhere I can :)

Anonymous said...

I love doing reviews but it could become a hassel sometimes. I like to review indie and self-published authors a lot because there could be ones just as good (and maybe even better!) than the ones published by big time companies.

I post my reviews on my current review website and GoodReads but if an author requests, Amazon.

Andrew Leon said...

For me, reviews are like trying a new food. Actually, they're like that Life cereal commercial with Mikey, "I'm not gonna try it; you try it!" A review lets a reader know that someone else has tried the book. It's possibly the most important thing for the author other than just writing the book to begin with. Especially for self-pubbed authors, since they didn't go through a publisher. I mean, going through a publisher means -someone- had to read it (and like it) which is not true with self-publishing.

ruth.the.writer said...

Sorry about your internet down time, I hate it when that happens!

I don't typically leave a review on a blockbuster book - I figure there are plenty there already. When I read something that only has a few, though, I like to leave a comment or two. I think it's good karma for when my writing finally gets published in book form :)

Susan Kane said...

I really pay att'n to the reviews; it often decides my purchase.
Sorry about the computer. My old one was dying, and I transferred files onto the new one with a neat gadget and CD from Fry's.
Also, I wish there were a faster way to copy old photos and download.

Amanda Leigh Cowley said...

I feel a bit guilty in that I never reviewed books before - it didn't even enter my mind. Now, especially as an indie author, I realise how valuable they are.

I should really go back and review any indie books I read in the past at least... Just need to find some spare time to do it!

(I always leave reviews now...)

Empty Nest Insider said...

It's great that you're working with short stories! I also have terrible handwriting! Hope you've gotten rid of your virus and are feeling better! Julie

Rebecca said...

i'm split because i do tend to give them i never really pay them any attention. I read books regardless of what others think.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Here here, yes give reviews! Reviews are SO helpful! Not necessarily on one's blog, but I'm talking about Amazon and Goodreads.

Just a word though, please don't use a review to give editing advice because it's too late now to change the published book, isn't it? Instead, say what you liked about it, how it made you feel, etc. There's no need to give every book 5 stars or to gush either. Short and simple reviews are nice, too.

Rachel said...

I like the short and sweet reviews. So, I review on Goodreads and Amazon. Not so much on my blog. Maybe once in a while.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Cherie, it's great when a published author is still taking the time to give back in that way, and good point about them being able to find you.

J.A., that's great, and it shows that it can do good to give out free copies.

Sabrina, those are the folks who need it most, I'm sure, so that's great!

Andrew, good point. Your book was one of the reviews I did on Amazon. ;0p

Ruth, good karma would be excellent!

Susan, it would definitely be a plus if it didn't take so long to copy photos.

Amanda, spare time's the hard part, though, right!?

Julie, thanks, I am much improved!

Becca, I'll read a book anyway, but I think I'm more inclined to buy one sooner if it has good reviews. Otherwise, it may rot on my wishlist for a long while.

Karen, excellent advice, thanks!

Rachel, I will usually skip a long review.

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Reviews are so important for indie and new authors. I try my best to do reviews both on my blog and on sites like Amazon and Goodreads.

Mark said...

Neat point about reviews, I never thought of it that way. It especially makes a difference for up and coming writers.

Maeve Frazier said...

I do book reviews on my blog. I keep them short and sweet and post them along with a cookie recipe. Why not have something good to eat while reading, right? Most of the books, that I purchase for gifts are through reviews by others, either on their blog, amazon or goodreads.

(sorry about your computer troubles, but glad you are back up again!)

Shannon Lawrence said...

Ms Saba, that's great!

Mark, I hadn't thought about it that way until recently, either.

Maeve, I love that you post them with a cookie recipe!

Andrew Leon said...

Yeah, I saw that! Thanks :)
I meant to say thanks sooner, but, well, you know, busy packing and unpacking and all of that.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Andrew, no thanks expected!