Wednesday, November 2, 2016

IWSG - Roller Coaster Impostor, ShaNoShoStoWriEdSubMo, & Links

First Wednesday of the month means Insecure Writer's Support Group time!


Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG is the blogging community's chance to air their insecurities, and to give and get support from other writers. Anyone can join by clicking on Alex's name above and signing up.

Our co-hosts this month are Joylene Novell Butler, Jen Chandler, Mary Aalgaard, Lisa Buie Collard, Tamara Narayan, Tyrean Martinson, and Christine Rains! Be sure to stop by and say thanks for all their hard work.

Let's see. What are my insecurities this month? Why don't I swish around in the swamp and pick one? Squish, squish, squish.

I frequently have ups and downs. One moment I think I can do this writing thing. The next, I'm doubting everything I write, panicking when I submit a story, even if it's just to my critique group. Doubt is a nasty, clawed monster, and right now it's living in my stomach.

And then there's impostor syndrome. I was a speaker at MileHiCon this past weekend, and I had to introduce myself each time. (Which I'm terrible at, by the way--I can talk about writing all day long, but myself? Not so much.) I always state that my current focus is short stories, and that's where I'm published, and there's this moment where I wait for people to wave me off like it doesn't count, because short stories are often treated that way. Of course, no one has done that, and I've had great fun speaking at various cons this year. It's great to connect with attendees and panelists alike. I can only hope that someday I'll have more confidence going into it. It does appear to get better the more I do it.

#

Alright, time for this month's stats. In the month of October:

Short stories submitted - 6
Short stories rejected - 8 (1 I was short listed on...sob)
Short stories accepted - 0
Short stories published - 0
Short stories currently on submission - 12
Short stories in edits - 2
Short stories written - 3

#

Now that we've established that it's November, it's time to discuss NaNoWriMo. While I'm not doing the classic form, I will once again be doing ShaNoShoStoWriEdSubMo, which is where I set my goals for the month. (It stands for Shannon's novel and short story writing, editing, and submitting month.) I like to ride the energy of NaNo to increase my own output. I haven't had time to work out any goals for the month, so I'm going to go with:

Write 3 new short stories.
Write 10,000 words on WIP #3.
Complete a round of edits on WIP #2.
Complete edits on 2 short stories currently being edited.
Submit 1 short story to critique group.
Submit at least 2 more short stories to markets (and continue to submit anything rejected during the month of November.)
Choose 1 new form, genre, or topic that is outside my comfort zone and write a short story or flash fiction piece for it.

#

Link time! Bear in mind that I'm merely passing along publications I've happened across, not endorsing any of them. Always do your own due diligence before submitting.

Accepting Submissions:

Contrary Magazine is accepting fiction, poetry, and commentary. Pays $20. Their winter deadline is December 1.

Sirens Call Publications is looking for first person horror stories for the anthology First Hand Accounts. 4000-8000 words. Pays $25. Deadline December 1.

Goblin Fruit is seeking poetry about the fantastical. Pays $15. Deadline December 1.

Brain Mill Press is accepting science fiction short stories for their anthology Ab Terra. 1000-10,000 words. Pay is not mentioned. Deadline December 1.

Goal Publications is open for short stories about official country/state/province animals for Fur the More. 2000-15,000 words. Pays $.01/word. Deadline December 1.

Scary Dairy Press, Inc. is seeking short stories for their anthology Mother's Revenge. Speculative fiction. 3000-7000 words. Pays $30-$70, dependent upon length. Deadline December 2.

What are your insecurities? Do you ever feel like an impostor? Do you have any tips for introducing yourself on panels? Did you submit anything in October? Will you be participating in NaNoWriMo or making your own goals? Any of these links of interest to you? Anything to share?

May you find your Muse.

61 comments:

The Cynical Sailor said...

I can relate to being plagued by imposter syndrome. I'm constantly waiting to get caught out and people to realize I'm a fraud. I'm in awe of your monthly stats and goals. You certainly don't sound like an imposter to me. Cheers - Ellen

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Sorry to hear about that short-listed story rejection! That stinks.

Good luck with all of your goals! I'm doing NaNo - I better get cracking! :)

Jen said...

Hi Shannon!

Congrats on all the submissions you have out there. And all those stories you're working on or have written! WOW! I'm a natural novel writer and shorts are very hard for me. I did finish one this past month but editing out 200 words over the word limit was like pulling teeth! I never, ever feel like I'm going to get it done and then, slowly, strangely, like magic there's a work that's under the maximum word length and I'm astonished it actually makes sense with so few words!

Best of luck to you in all your November goals!! And thanks, as always, for the links.

Cheers,
Jen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Short stories have their own challenges. Never feel less of a writer because that's your focus. I know authors who've made a solid career out of short stories.

Chrys Fey said...

Doubt is nasty! I still worry when I give my work to betas, because I know there very well could be something wrong with my story at that point. And querying...yes, I doubt myself even more then.

Crystal Collier said...

Imposter syndrome... You know, it took me seven years of home schooling before I called us home schoolers. I hear even big author who are making awesome sales suffer in this vein. Count yourself blessed. You suffer with the best--although you're a total pro.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Every great artist, whether painter, actor, or writer, felt insecure -- only the hacks are cocksure! :-)

Andrew Leon said...

Picasso never felt insecure. He began his art journey already believing he was the best painter alive at that time; then, he went on to prove it.
Insecurity is not a security blanket.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Short stories are HARD! I've hard the syndrome too, in so many areas. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - love the acronym ... just brilliant .. and good luck for November - cheers Hilary

Anonymous said...

I've been out of work for three weeks due to an injury so my October submissions are good. My acceptances are fair. I really like how you keep track each month. I'm going to start as well if for no other reason than to keep me accountable to myself.

Michelle Wallace said...

Your ShaNoShoStoWriEdSubMo is a great idea.
To answer the question you asked at my blog - yes, I have two themed sets of flash fiction...and a separate plan for each set in the pipeline.
Happy IWSG Day!

Mark said...

I totally get that impostor syndrome thing, especially since I've been speaking a lot lately at events. It always ends up being a groundless fear, because everyone's so cool, but it doesn't stop me from initially feeling it.

Pat Garcia said...

Great work on your submissions, Shannon! I attended an Imposter Syndrome workshop last week. An engaging and interesting topic.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat

Olga Godim said...

Oh, the imposter syndrome. It attacks all of us, all the time, the bugger. Resist, Shannon. It's lying to you. Don't believe it.
Good luck with your November goals.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

That's at least 3 bloggers today who mentioned imposter syndrome. I also forgot about your special November challenge and it's terrific acronym. LOL

Diane Burton said...

I never knew how hard it was to write a short story until I had to write one. Love your acronym. LOL Good for you.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I love the way you make NaNo your own!!!
And, short stories definitely count!They are hard to write.

Tony Laplume said...

Hang in there, warrior! Speaking about oneself is tough. So maybe talk about talking about yourself is tough!

H.R. Bennett said...

Ooo~ Thanks for the list. Can definitely use that! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Not everyone can write a short story, so be proud of that.

You have such a great monthly plan. Just keep working it.

Arlee Bird said...

Cool that you've had the speaking gigs. Maybe it would be fun in the self intros just to make up all kinds of outlandish stuff to stretch your creative limits. You can also test your audience to see who is really listening--or to see how gullible they are.

My philosophy in life is to never take any of it too seriously.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

shelly said...

THANK YOU FOR THE LINKS.

Liesbet said...

That is an impressive to-do list for this month, Shannon. Good luck writing and submitting. Such a slow process, from creating the words to seeing them "in print"! These are non-stop cycles. I've had that "being a fraud" feeling many times, when sailing for eight years on our boat(I am more a traveler, not a real sailor per se) and when telling people my profession is "writer" in lack of a better (or "real") job!

Doreen McGettigan said...

I am so with you on introducing/talking about myself, its awful! Good luck on your submissions, it only takes one to turn a month around!

Tamara Narayan said...

I did submit a short story for the IWSG anthology contest. Now I need to rewrite an ending for a novel. I'd love to start a new one as well.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I think you've done a great job of listing your goals for November. Best of luck with ShaNoShoStoWriEdSubMo. I'm not doing NaNo either, never have. Maybe one day. I hate introducing myself too. I've even watched video tutorials. Never gets easy.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Short stories are great. It is a special art form. Many people don't do them very well.
Mary at Play off the Page

John Wiswell said...

Insecurities? I just published a story at DSF, and got a wonderful reception. But immediately I worried that the reception wasn't big enough, that strangers wouldn't like the story, that my score could be higher, etc. The writing mind will always find the next thing to worry about.

J.H. Moncrieff said...

Good for you for keeping so many stories out on submission! Very few writers are that persistent. It's definitely going to pay off.

Love the way you've made NaNo your own too.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Like that one random voice in the crowd in Princess Bride, I think it is. Calling you out.

Shannon Lawrence said...

They're always a little harder than the regular ones, but a better kind of rejection.

Shannon Lawrence said...

The making sense with so few words made me laugh! Flash fiction is eve more like that.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Funnily enough, when someone found out I also write novels the other day, they were disappointed and expressed that. It wasn't an opinion I expected.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Querying is not something I'm looking forward to. It's hard enough submitting short stories!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Oh yes, it takes many forms, doesn't it? I think I even feel that way about being a mom sometimes. Like I'm doing it all wrong and people will discover any moment that I'm just not a real mom.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I've seen some who aren't insecure, but the majority seem to be.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Yes, not just in writing. However, that's the first place I heard of it.

Shannon Lawrence said...

It's not NaNo proper, so it needed a name!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I do enjoy the accountability. It keeps me from having too off a month. I hope you're feeling better!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I can't get to your blog from your profile. :(

Shannon Lawrence said...

Glad to hear it!

Shannon Lawrence said...

People in the audience are always so great. But you're right; it doesn't help beat down the syndrome.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Ooo, a workshop on it. Did it tell you how to move past it?

Shannon Lawrence said...

We will resist!

Shannon Lawrence said...

LOL! That's a high percentage, considering how many you likely visited. It's everywhere!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Did you end up getting it published?

Shannon Lawrence said...

I figure I'm more likely to do it with goals that mean something to me. :D

Shannon Lawrence said...

Ha! Yes, it is tough. Some people are better about it than others. The moment I'm asked for some interesting tidbit, all I can think of is the mundane details.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thanks! I do. Some months are better than others, but there's always progress, and I'm happy with that.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I think that's a good way to look at it. Making it more fun would help me loosen up. I'm good with off-the-cuff jokes and sarcasm, so I'm not sure why it doesn't extend to this.

Shannon Lawrence said...

No problem!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Oh, I get feeling odd about giving that as a job. I'm getting more comfortable with it. When I was just a stay at home mom (just?!), I really hated being asked what I did for work.

Shannon Lawrence said...

It's not letting me access your blog. :(

Shannon Lawrence said...

True that it only takes one to turn the month around!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Good luck with your writing!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Hm, I may need to go find those video tutorials.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thanks! I see people saying they can't write them, and I wonder if they're as bad as they say.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm terrified to submit to one of the ones where readers score the stories. But, yes, we will always find something to worry about.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I hope so!

Liesbet said...

Oh no... Not sure what to do about that! WordPress... :-(