Wednesday, February 4, 2015

February IWSG - Not For Us & Links

It's time for the February IWSG, created by Alex J. Cavanaugh


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially InsecureWriter’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. 

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

I knew what I wanted to write about today, and now I've completely forgotten. Insecurity? I've got plenty. I think if I read the words "just not for us" or "not what we're looking for" one more time, I may lose my mind. Okay, so I won't. But they're two sets of my least favorite words right now. 

Now for my monthly stats. In January, I:

Submitted 8 pieces
Received 4 rejections (one of which was a very nice, complementary personal one that I appreciated)
I currently have 9 pieces on submission (3 are newly edited and submitted for the first time)
I have 2 pieces I need to re-submit (got those rejections yesterday and haven't had a chance yet)
I have 5 pieces I need to edit and get out on submission for the first time

Now for some links! Always be sure to research any markets before submitting to them. I am not personally recommending these, only passing the information along.

Accepting Submissions:

Dirge Magazine is open for short, dark speculative fiction. 2000-4000 words. Pays between $50 and $150.

Freeze Frame Fiction is looking for flash fiction in any genre, as long as it's 1000 words or less. Current deadline is March 15. Pays $10 per piece.

Sorcerous Signals is looking for fantasy stories. They take flash fiction, short stories, and poems. Up to 10,000 words. Current reading period closes March 15. Pays $5 for short stories, $2 for flash or poetry.

Steam Ticket is seeking poems, stories, creative nonfiction, and artwork. Up to 4000 words. Deadline March 15. Pays in contributor copies.

Threepenny Review is looking for stories and articles. Between 1000-4000 words, depending upon type of submission. Pays $200 to $400 per piece.

Mad Scientist Journal wants your first person mad scientist stories. Will accept most genres. Flash fiction, short fiction, and serial fiction. Between 500 and 8000 words, depending upon type of submission. Pays from $10 to $100.

Lightspeed Magazine is closed for regular submissions, but is currently taking submissions for their Queers Destroy Science Fiction issue. 1500-7500 words. Pays $.08/word.

Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing is looking for dark speculative flash fiction for their newsletter. Up to 1000 words. Payment is $20.

Typehouse Literary Magazine is looking for poetry, short fiction, creative non-fiction, and visual art. 1000-5000 words. Not a paying market, but they give a small honorarium to the winner of the Editor's Choice Award each issue.

Postcard Poems and Prose is accepting poetry and flash fiction. Not a paying market, which would normally mean I wouldn't pass them along, but they're a fun group of people, so I am. And it's my blog, so I make the rules. ;)

That's all, folks. 

Are you submitting? What are you feeling insecure about right now? Have you overcome any insecurities? Any of these links of interest to you? Anything to share?

P.S. A little birdie told me I may or may not be an IWSG co-host next month. See you then!

May you find your Muse.

54 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

I'm sorry you're getting those rejections, those phrases definitely suck. But I had to laugh that you'd forgotten what you wanted to write about today. So I'm not the only one who does that. :)

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Yep, those are some of my least favorite words/phrases, too. Great news on the positive, personal rejection, though. :)

randi lee said...

Sounds like you have a lot brewing, Shannon. I'd give anything to have half your drive! Sorry about the rejections, but I know that your works will find the right fit so long as you don't give up on them!

Chrys Fey said...

I have my fingers crossed for you and your submissions!

P.S. I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award. I don't know if you accept awards or not, but you can if you want to. :D

Crystal Collier said...

Whew! You've got a ton of sticks in the fire. One is guaranteed to light up, eh?

Thankfully I'm happy with my publisher right now and taking the submission thing easy. I'm sure the day will come when I seek elsewhere, but we have to appreciate each step in the journey, eh?

Yolanda Renée said...

Keep at it, wow, if only I had half of those submissions!

Love the links, thank you so much!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's really good you have so many pieces at different stages of the process. Just keep at it.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

You sure have been busy. Thanks for sharing the awesome links!

Andrew Leon said...

Send me an email. Just trust me.

Murees Dupè said...

Don't give up. But I understand the "not what we're looking for" part. I have 80 rejection letters just like it. It is good that you have so many stories out there. Wising you all the best.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

LOL. I hate those words too. Give me more than that if you're rejecting me.

SK Anthony said...

Best of luck with your submissions! Sorry about the rejections, but glad you're keeping busy and not giving up! You got this!

dolorah said...

Rejections are tough. I don't submit often, so get very few rejections; but also get very few acceptances.

Thanks for the links.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Nine pieces on submission? You go, girl! I guess that's one way not to focus on just one. I hope with the submissions that you're doing something to reward yourself. I did what James Dashner did (Maze Runner). With every ten rejections, he'd take his wife out to dinner. :D

Pat Hatt said...

Wow, that is a lot of submissions. Have to keep at it indeed

Unknown said...

thanks for the links, I might have something for the mad scientist one, LOL! and best of luck with your submissions !!

Shell Flower said...

Good for you for submitting so much. And congrats on the personal rejection. It's funny how those can make your day, even though it's still a rejection. I call it 50 Shades of Rejection and those "not for us" are definitely on the dark side!

Christine Rains said...

You're on the ball with submissions! I haven't had an acceptance in a while. I even did a rewrite requested by an editor and then it was rejected. Ouch. I resubmitted it to another venue, but some days are tougher than others. Keep on pushing forward! Thanks for the links. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the rejections. Those are definitely unpleasant words. You have an amazing amount of pieces out there, though. One of them is bound to break through. Good luck!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks for this update! You are working really hard, and we know that re-submissions work! Those words, even when couched in nice phrases, are hard to read over an over again. I agree. I've had two rejection letters in the last week - no frilly extras, completely polite, but still hard to read.
So, . . .next market!
Thanks for all the awesome links!

Diane Burton said...

You've had a busy month. Congrats on the "good" rejection. That sounds like a contradiction, but any time an editor (or agent) takes the time to write a personal note that's great. Best wishes.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Congratulations on hosting IWSG!!! Thanks for the submission list, maybe it'll help me overcome my fear and actually submit something... or not.

DMS said...

Awesome that you are submitting so much of your writing. Good for you! Getting turned down is definitely hard, but personal notes do make it better. Keep putting your work out there and best of luck! :)
~Jess

Nick Wilford said...

Kudos to you for being so dedicated with the amount of stories out there. I guess rejections will always outweigh acceptances but that personalised one is a badge of honour.

Arlee Bird said...

On the positive side at least you're submitting and you're getting some kind of responses. That means you are doing something and that is a good thing.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

Stephanie Faris said...

I love that you not only tell us about your activities (which holds you accountable, thereby increasing your odds of success!) but you also share opportunities for others. That's awesome.

John Wiswell said...

Congratulations on your personal rejection! Those can be so helpful and encouraging.

And I'm keenly interested in how Queers Destroy Science Fiction will go, even if I'm most attracted to the related Horror issue coming up afterward.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Nope, definitely not just you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Each personal rejection and second review is a step forward, I think. Though I know that's said about any rejection, as well.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you, I sure hope so!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you, Chrys, both for the award and the crossed fingers!

Shannon Lawrence said...

We definitely need to appreciate each step. Glad you're happy where you are! That's a good situation to be in. I'm looking forward to querying novels in addition to submitting short stories, though I know they'll be crushing when rejected.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'd like to have double those submissions!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm trying! Thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'd like to be busier. So much to do, so many stories to tell, so little time!

Shannon Lawrence said...

:)

Shannon Lawrence said...

I attended a workshop on V-Day where one of the speakers had everyone raise their hands for different levels of rejections. One person raised her hand for having over 100, I think it was. He gave her a prize and said she was doing it right. With 80 rejections, you're obviously doing something right. I think I'm only at about 47. So far.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Yes, I definitely prefer real feedback, though I know it's not always possible.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you! I will get there.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Rejections are definitely tough. Some roll off the back and some stick in the craw. Good luck getting more submitted!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Oh, I like that, Donna. I hadn't thought to reward myself in that way. I need to think of something fun to do for every ten, I think. Like taking myself out to brunch at a favorite spot.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Yet so many fewer than I want to have out there! Building it up as I go, though.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Good luck with submitting that!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Nice! Yes, just a few nice words, and somehow it's a positive thing. Funny how tha tworks.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Oh no! I never considered that they'd do that. Good luck as you continue submitting!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I definitely hope so! Thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Good luck going forward. Do you pick the next market in advance or wait until the rejection comes in?

Shannon Lawrence said...

I have, and hope to continue with these kinds of numbers and up. I think the more I have out there, the better I'm doing. As long as there are acceptances mixed in there.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I hope you do! Even one thing. It gets easier once you do the first.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you, Jess! Those personal notes keep me going, I think.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Each personal rejection is a positive beacon saying there's hope!

Shannon Lawrence said...

That's a good way to think about it, thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you, Stephanie! I think this is one career where we can help each other instead of being in competition. And holding myself accountable definitely helps me. I don't want to come on and say I didn't get anything done.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I love all these "Destroy" anthologies coming out. It's a great way to get new voices seen.