Monday, January 5, 2015

2015 Writing Goal Setting

clker.com, OCAL

Now that it's officially 2015, it's time for me to set some writing goals. I don't do resolutions, as such, but I do like to make work-related goals. Before I do that, Happy New Year! We stayed in and had a quiet New Year's just watching movies and relaxing together.  Last year, my husband was on a business trip for New Year's, so it was nice to be with him as we brought in the new year.We watched the fireworks on top of Pikes Peak, and the kids were still awake, so they got to see them, too. Other than that, there are no traditions we observe. I'd never heard of anything other than a toast and a kiss at midnight (which we do, so I guess we do observe that tradition.) I've heard of a lot of traditions now, courtesy of Facebook.

Okay, on to goal setting. To review the year, in 2014 I had the following accomplishments/progress:


  • I made steady progress with writing short stories and submitting them, racking up plenty of rejections. Many of these came with positive feedback.
  • I was moved to the second tier for an anthology. Though I ultimately got a rejection for it, I consider this an accomplishment.
  • I consistently turned in stories to my critique group.
  • I participated in the IWSG Guide to Publishing and Beyond and Of Mist and Magic (release information coming soon.)
  • I made consistent progress in my challenge to read the best horror from various lists and write reviews.
  • I achieved all of last year's writing goals except those related to my novels, which I chose to set aside.
I don't remember what else, but I'm looking at it as a good year. Hopefully, 2015 will be even better.

My goals for 2015 are:

  • I set aside the novels until this year began, so they're back on the docket. I want to finish revising my YA novel and get it ready for submission.
  • Finish my Urban Fantasy novel.
  • Revise my UF novel.
  • Continue writing, editing, and submitting short stories. (I'd set a number goal, but I feel like that would be a number I was pulling out of my rear just to do so, and it wouldn't represent realistic expectations.)
  • Place several short stories for pay.
  • Start working on articles again.
  • Journal.
  • Continue to experiment and enjoy collaborations and projects to expand my horizons. 
  • Continue with the horror reading/review challenge.
I think that's a good list for now. When I make a list like this, I do so understanding that my goals and/or circumstances might change during the year, but I like to have an idea of what I'm aiming for in the year to come. It always feels good to look back and see what I was hoping to do in the new year, and how much progress I actually made. And it's nice to have something to check in on from time to time to straighten myself out when I've gotten off the path.

Did you set work goals? Resolutions? What are some of your goals for the year, either personal or professional? Do you revisit those goals at the end of the year, or just continue adding to the list as you go? How was your New Year's Eve? Did you go to a party? Observe any special traditions?

May you find your Muse.







11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A toast and a kiss - we did that as well.
You did well with your goals last year and now you are set for this year!

Christine Rains said...

Excellent goals! I had a quiet new year's. I actually worked on tour posts for this month. I got a load of short story rejections last year too, but I started off this year with an acceptance if I rewrite. Here's to a great 2015! :)

cleemckenzie said...

May you reach those goals and enjoy the process!

Happy New Year.

Pat Hatt said...

Great goals for the new year, sure all will be met. My ocd helps me get things done, so no goals needed haha

A Beer for the Shower said...

Those are some great goals. I hope you do well with them. I don't do new years resolutions and my current writing goals are just 'write more novels,' so...I'm hoping disorganized chaos pulls in my favor. It's worked so far!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

You did great last year! Regarding writing and subbing stories, maybe check out Write 1 Sub 1. I usually do the monthly version - writing and subbing one story per month for a total of 12 for the year. (Some months I write more.) There is a weekly version but that's too much for me. :)

Chrys Fey said...

You had a great year for 2014! I know you'll have another successful year with your new goals.

I make work-related goals too. But I also have some goals to have more fun. :) Happy New Year!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I make 'plans' and last year I far exceeded them so I'll do the same this year. Good luck with your goals.

Kern Windwraith said...

That's a very reasonable list of goals, and I wish you the very best in achieving them.

This year I'm going to participate in Write1Sub1. I highly doubt that I'll be able to write and submit a story or poem every week, but I'll give it a shot. It's not the writing that will stump me, because I pretty confident that I can write a poem a week--it's revising them into submittable shape that;s going to be the big challenge.

Yolanda Renée said...

Goals are always fun, the possibilities and hope for the future is thrilling! Good luck with all of yours, and Happy New Year!

shelly said...

I wrote about my goals today on my Secondhand Shoes blog.