Wednesday, February 26, 2014

[Mostly] Wordless Wednesday - Face in the Flag & Links

This week I have another set of photos from the Stanley, but this time it's from the ghost tour. I figured I'd pass this one along just for fun.

The story goes that a soldier who'd stayed at the Stanley before and was a fan of the place brought a flag back from war with him and gifted it to the establishment. They framed it and put it up on the wall. A spot has increasingly discolored, revealing a face that seems to be coming out of the flag. When the flag was gifted to them, only the large brown spots were on the right side of the flag, not the faded discoloration.

I've put the larger image of the flag, and then a blown up image of where the discoloration is. Draw your own conclusions.


The face is in the upper right-hand corner. 2nd red stripe from the top, you can see eyes and part of a nose.


Can you make it out better?

Now for some links.

Accepting Submissions:

One Eye Press is accepting a variety of submissions. OEP Singles close for submissions March 1, and will be a series of novellas and short novels released every 3 months. Both Barrels, an anthology series, is open for submissions March 2 - May 11. Pays $25 and a contributor ecopy. Shotgun Honey is open submissions, no specific deadline, and takes 700 word crime flash fiction stories. The Big Adios is a quarterly fiction digest seeking short stories. Submissions window is January 14 - April 14. Pays $.01/word, up to $25. Blight Digest is a new quarterly fiction magazine seeking short stories. Submissions window is February 17 - May 12. $.01/word, $25 maximum. If I didn't list a pay amount, it is not paying at this time (I assume the novellas/short novels are being run on a royalty basis, but didn't see mention of pay on it.)

Sky Warrior Books is interested in your vampire stories for an anthology. No sparkly vampires! Deadline March 15. Pays royalties.

Whitefish Review is seeking submissions for Issue #15 - The Fire Issue. They accept short stories, poetry, photography, or art. Pays $10/printed page, $25 minimum, $50 maximum. Deadline for this issue is March 15.

Southword Journal Online is looking for poems and prose in English and Irish. Deadline March 15th. Pays €30 per poem and €120 per short story.

Contests:

Mslexia is hosting their 2014 Women's Short Story Competition. Deadline March 17. Short stories on any topic. 1st prize is £2,000. Winning stories will be published in the summer issue.

Kazka Press holds a monthly flash fiction contest, 713 Flash. 500-1000 words. Pays $15/story. March 20 deadline for the theme "The Writing Life."

Blog Stuff:

In an effort to support a fellow blogger who has just undergone cancer surgery, bloggers across the globe are participating in a bookathon of sorts, in which we purchase one (or more) of Roland Yeoman's books. You can find his books from his Amazon Page.

Alex J. Cavanaugh, Stephen Tremp, and L. Diane Wolf are hosting Wormfest March 10-16. They ask you to name one thing that advances mankind, and one thing that will go too far.

Any of these catch your eye? Any news to share? Publication news? Do you see the face in the flag?

May you find your Muse.


18 comments:

Tina said...

Hmmm...so much legend and mystery at that place. Attended a wedding there - one of the best venues ever.

I do see the face. I do believe in ghosts. I don't have a theory about why they're around or what their purpose is, but I've heard and seen enough to make me a believer. I also know that there are a lot of frauds out there...which is why the movie "Ghost" was so thoroughly enjoyable ;-)
Tina @ Life is Good
A to Z Team @ Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2014

A Beer for the Shower said...

It took a few glances but I think I see it. I love the Stanley. My cousin had her wedding there too (must be a Coloradoan thing, seeing Tina's comment above).

Fun fact: my childhood cat passed away in my mother's basement. About a month later the washing machine flooded, dripping down into the basement in the exact spot where the cat died. The stain that was left behind on the wood paneling against the wall looks exactly like a cat's face. Ears, eyes, whiskers, nose, everything. And it's still there to this day (I need to snap a picture next time I'm there). I don't know how to explain it, but either way, it's pretty cool.

Rosaria Williams said...

Shannon, no matter the post, you never fail to inspire and bring joy.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

That is really interesting. I'm seeing a few story ideas here. ;)

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Interesting and spooky.

Thanks for all the links and fun info, Shannon.

xoRobyn

D.G. Hudson said...

My ghost vision doesn't seem to work.

We see what we want to see, sometimes. Or maybe some are more sensitive to undead occurrences. Perhaps he's trapped by a curse on that flag. . .

Thanks for mentioning Roland's plight (Writing in the Crosshairs) and the supporting book-a-thon idea of Sean @ Midlist Writer.

Unknown said...

I know a lot of people how make it an annual event to go to the Stanley. I haven't done so yet, but now I want to see this flag in person! I love the idea of spooky stuff. Thanks for all the links.

Unknown said...

I know a lot of people how make it an annual event to go to the Stanley. I haven't done so yet, but now I want to see this flag in person! I love the idea of spooky stuff. Thanks for all the links.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Like D.G., my ghost vision seems to be on the fritz. :-) That is odd how ghosts chat with me all the time at Meilori's -- like today's post! Thanks for mentioning what my friends are doing for me.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Great idea to support Roland and I'm signed up for Wormhole fest.

Maurice Mitchell said...

It's ironic that you post a ghost story when Harold Ramis died (RIP). He'd have gotten to the bottom of this. Thanks for supporting your blogger buddy during this difficult time. BTW congrats on the caption win!

Misha Gerrick said...

I can't see the face, but then, I'm tired after a tennis game.

:-)

Misha Gerrick said...

I can't see the face, but then, I'm tired after a tennis game.

:-)

John Wiswell said...

Another of those optical illusions I just can't see. I feel it's more a shortcoming of mine than it not being there, for all it takes is one person to make an image real. Very neat notion, too.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could see the face.

Thank you for the links. I think I'll submit a short story to one of these places.

klahanie said...

Hey Shannon,

I really couldn't see the image. I tried many times and then I started to ahem, flag....

There are some notable links, Shannon. Off to Roland's link.

Gary

Kimberly said...

I couldn't really see eyes or a nose, but I thought I saw a moustache??? lol, I might be seeing things though. :)

I'm going to go buy a couple of Roland's books!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Tina, I told Jeff we should get remarried there for our 20th, by a shaman. The shaman, because I wanted to be married by a shaman originally, but we planned our wedding less than a month before the wedding. Have you gone on the ghost tour? I highly recommend the night time one.

B&B, you SO need to snap a picture of that! Then share it.

Rosaria, so nice of you to say! You made my day. :)

SA, I love to hear that! Go forth and write.

Robyn, glad to share, thanks!

D.G., I was happy to mention it. I'll try to get a better picture next time I go there. ;)

Julie, if you make it out there, take one of the ghost tours. You get a lot of history and interesting stories. I do love the Stanley.

Roland, I hope you're doing well!

Susan, fun!

Maurice, woo-hoo, thanks! Sad sigh, the ghostbusters really should have checked out the Stanley. I think Ghost Hunters has.

Misha, tennis! I tried it with a friend once and was not very good. I should try it again.

John, I like that "all it takes is one person to make an image real."

Medeia, yay, update me, if you would!

Gary, hopefully you've recovered by now. ;)

Kimberly, hey, what you see is what you see! And very awesome of you, thank you!