Monday, March 4, 2013

The Warrior's Minions & Colorado Book Month

Hi Gang!

It's time to announce my A-to-Z Minions (or Warriors, we're still deciding)!


The following lovely ladies have taken on the daunting task of being my Minions/Warriors:

Dani of Entertaining Interests shares a lot of similar interests with me. You have only to look at her profile to see that she's into writing and photography, tattoos, movies, books, horror, etc., etc., etc. She co-hosts the weekly "Express Yourself" meme with Jackie (Bouquet of Books). Who isn't into horror and tats!? (Don't answer that, people!) We tattooed horror freaks need to stick together!

Julie has been a friend since she helped with the very first A-to-Z Road Trip, the post-challenge to the A-to-Z. On her author blog, Julie Flanders (previously called What Else is Possible?) you can find information about her debut novel, Polar Night. Julie is passionate about helping animals, and writes non-fiction for various publications. If you're lucky, you'll get to "meet" Clancy when you stop by.

Jeanette blogs at her self-named blog, Jeanette S. Andersen, where you can find examples of poetry and updates on the editing process of her book. As of Monday, you can find a snippet of her book there, so check it out! Jeanette is always friendly and has something positive to say, which is nice in an online world where we're assaulted by so much negative some days.

Terri blogs at Scribbler's Sojourn. She's had two stories, a romance and a paranormal romance, published in the anthologies Christmas Magic and Make Believe. As of January, she's announced a standalone novella, set to be published in June. You can find more news on her website. Oh, and she's a stay-at-home mom like me. I need to get my butt in gear!

I look forward to working with these ladies! Thank you to each of you for volunteering. I'm open for one more volunteer if there's anyone out there who's interested, so just drop me a note in the comments or email via my profile.

Now that you've met my wonderful minions (and please do head over to their blogs to meet them and welcome them), it's time for a new meme, but one that will only be during the month of March. You see, March has been declared Colorado Book Month (you can find the badge in my right sidebar), and I'm participating (thanks to Stacy S. Jensen, who sent me the link). Each Monday there is a bit of a meme, a different Colorado-related topic, entitled This Colorado Life.


You guys know from my [Mostly] Wordless Wednesday posts how much I love the state of Colorado, especially the outdoors elements. Today's topic is to share some of our favorite elevated spots in Colorado.

Pikes Peak is one of my favorite elevated spots. Did you know Kathy Lee Bates wrote "America the Beautiful" in 1893, here in Colorado Springs, inspired by Pikes Peak? Pikes Peak is "purple mountain majesties." In fact, she originally wrote it as a poem entitled "Pikes Peak." She re-titled it "America" for publication. It didn't become "America the Beautiful" until 1910 when it was put to music.

Though we've got more than our fair share of fourteeners (mountains over 14,000 feet in elevation), Pikes Peak will always be my favorite, the most gorgeous mountain I've seen to date (and I grew up near two different mountain ranges: the Cascades--also magnificent--and the Appalachians). She looms over the city of Colorado, our protector. And protect us she does, as Colorado Springs has temperate seasons and limited snowfall due to our positioning. I always know I'm home when I see Pikes Peak, in all of her majestic glory.

As far as mountain cities, I love Estes Park. It's a little town near Rocky Mountain National Park, which also happens to have The Stanley Hotel, the hotel Stephen King wrote The Shining in. It's a gorgeous old hotel, with that haunting element to put it as over the top cool.  In the summer, we go rent a boat to take out on Lake Estes, which the kids love.

If you're interested in Colorado Book Month, head over to LiteracyCO. At the very least, there's a great list of Colorado authors you won't want to miss.

What's your favorite spot in your state? Been to Colorado? What's your favorite thing about the part of Colorado you visited?

Don't forget to show my minions some love! They'll be investing a lot of hard work into the challenge in April.

May you find your Muse.








20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Colorado has snow in winter! That's my favorite part.
You've got some great minions there. I'd go with Warriors.

mshatch said...

I like right where I am in my state, but not in the winter; winter and I aren't really friends. Summer is the time to be here. Sadly I've never been to Colorado :(

Al Diaz said...

I've never been in the US but a landscape similar to that one here would be the Popocatepetl and Iztlacihuatl volcanoes (yes, I know it's like the easiest names to say.) Extraordinary views, though. :)

congratulations on your team, a great team indeed!

Carol Kilgore said...

I'll be experiencing my first A-Z this year. And today I'm guest blogging at Patricia Stoltey's blog - another Colorado writer!

Philip Verghese 'Ariel' said...

Hi Shannon,
This is yet another wonderful team for the a to z blog challenge.
Congrats and best wishes to all team members.
Keep Going.
Keep Blogging.
Phil @ Philipscom
An ambassador to A to Z Challenge @ Tina's Life is Good
And My Bio-blog

Dani said...

Us kind of chicks do need to stick together for sure! I'm so excited to be a part of your team Shannon! And I like Warrior better too!

Julie Flanders said...

Yay, I'm so excited to be one of the Minions! Or Warriors, I like both LOL. :)

M Pax said...

Glad you found minions.

Oddly, my husband is from Colorado, but I've never been there. We now live among the Cascades. They make my jaw drop every time I look at them. My favorite spot in Oregon is Pine Mountain, however. That's where the observatory is and I feel like I can see the whole world from the top. It's awesome.

Mark Means said...

One of my favorite places in the states if the Florida Keys. Beautiful ocean, nice breezes, sandy beaches, and a laid back atmosphere....what's not to like? :)

Carrie-Anne said...

I've been to Colorado twice, once in '92 for my surviving uncle's wedding, and again in 2001 for my maternal grandparents' 50th anniversary reunion. Their anniversary was a few months off, but it was held in the summertime to make it easier for travel. I love the mountains out there, and the beautiful scenery.

During our second trip, I climbed one of the Twin Sisters peaks, but since I had to change into more comfortable clothes, I arrived after my family had already started the climb and I climbed the wrong Sister. I had a bit of a fall at the top and walked down the mountain alone with a bleeding knee. My uncle was very impressed that I was already climbing and hiking again a few days later, in spite of having cut open my knee pretty badly.

Tina said...

As someone who lives in Colorado, I could write several posts about what I love about it. I guess the first thing that comes to mind is that living in the Front Range (the part right up against the mountains but not IN the mountains for you non-Colorado folks) is that I can be up in my beloved mountains in ten minutes. I love driving the narrow canyons, I enjoy pulling over at the spots they've made where you can get your feet in the icy water, and I love camping. We always camp at high elevation, so much cooler and I'm not fond of our over 100 degree days...

Tina @ Life is Good
Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
@TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

Angela's Anxious Life said...

Hello! I am a fellow Colorado Book blogger.. and live in the Springs. I like Pikes Peak but can't stay up there too long. I have taken the Cog Railroad up to it once, and have driven up to it once. So beautiful!! I just love it.

Angie
Angela's Anxious Life

newshadeofgreen said...

Hi! Thanks so much for taking part in the This Colorado Life meme! I love Pike's Peak as well, really I could make a list pages long. On one of my first visits to CO (before moving to Denver) I took the cog rail up to the top. It literally took my breath away.

I look forward to your post next week!
~ Jen @ A Book and a Latte

Jessi said...

Yay! I love Estes Park AND Pike's Peak I lived in the Springs for awhile, and had the perfect view of it out of my window. Living in Denver I don't get to see it as much anymore.

Can't wait for the summer season and all the awesome hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park. That's a must every year.

Otherwhere.Co
And thanks for supporting #COBookMonth and LiteraryCo!

Teresa said...

How could I have forgotten Estes Park. Of any of the mountain towns its one I've probably been to the most. Must write about wonderful times in the mountains!

Chuck said...

Congrats to your minions/warriors, I am sure you will have a good time and keep them busy.

I have made one trip to Colorado and it was winter so I loved it. The city of Silverthorne after a fresh snow is just amazing...right out of a book/movie/postcard. And snowmobiling on the Divide was pretty rad too!

DL Hammons said...

What a team!! :)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Shannon, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. As for my favorite spot in my state: My hubby and I live in California, which has so many lovely places, but my favorite (both our favorite) is Pacific Grove/Monterrey. They actually meld into each other, along with Carmel, but our favorite part of that beach area is really Pacific Grove, with its breeze off the ocean and the lovely salt smell and the miles and miles of blue at the edge of this funky little town with a John Steinbeck history.

Michelle Wallace said...

Congrats to your band of warriors!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Alex, no snow where you are?

Marcy, I like the seasons here, but we don't get too cold in winter. Still, I hate the really cold days.

Al, interesting! I'm going to go try to say those now.

Carol, yes, Patricia! I've been seeing her around the interwebs a lot lately.

Phil, thanks! There are some great minions all around.

Dani, definitely!

Julie, so excited to have you!

Mary, really, and you've never been here? I take it he doesn't miss it then! Where are you from originally?

Mark, I've never been to the Keys. Have only been to Orlando and have decided I will not judge the rest of the state on that one city. ;-p

Carrie-Anne, now you know how to play tourist in Colorado!!

Tina, I agree. I could never live in the plains. Though I could live in the mountains happily.

Angie, I got a touch of the altitude sickness the one time we went all the way up. Just dizziness and vertigo for a bit, but it was unpleasant!

Jen, like you, I could make a huge list! I wish I'd started exploring earlier, but I didn't until I had kids, so I've been somewhat limited. I'll enjoy discovering it all with them, though.

Jessi, I think I'd miss Pikes Peak so much if I had to move to another city. We've discussed it and I keep telling hubby we can move to Woodland Park, because I can still see the Peak, but no farther!

Teresa, probably because you've been to more mountain towns than me! I aim to visit many more.

Chuck, I want to go snowmobiling!

DL, they rock!

Elizabeth, I was born in California and my parents talk about Monterrey sometimes, so I think they remember it fondly.

Michelle, thanks, they're awesome!