Wednesday, September 6, 2023

IWSG - Supportive Communities & Rebecca Douglass Book Launch

 


Here we are in September, with another Insecure Writer's Support Group!

Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG serves to provide a forum for writers to discuss their insecurities, of which we have many. Anyone can join. Simply click on Alex's name and add your blog to the linky list.

The co-hosts this month are Sonia Dogra, J Lenni Dorner, Pat Garcia, Sarah - the Faux Fountain Pen, and Meka James. Be sure to drop in and thank them for co-hosting!

The optional question this month is: The IWSG celebrates 12 years today! When did you discover the IWSG, how do you connect, and how has it helped you?

It's been years since I discovered IWSG, but I can't say exactly when. I believe I found it after participating in the A-to-Z Challenge. In both the A-to-Z and the IWSG, I found such a wonderful community here online. I'm not able to visit folks as much as I would like, yet when I do get those visits in, it's like I was never gone. Writers need each other. We need support from those who understand the particular, unique issues writers face. The IWSG helps us attain that and gives us the opportunity to offer our support and experience to others dealing with similar issues. We have lost several members through the years and banded together to support our fellow bloggers through the loss of family, health issues, mental health crises, and more.

I also was one of the admins for a while! It was a lot of fun being a part of the team.

Speaking of supporting each other, a place I've gotten help and offered help is with new releases. And Rebecca Douglass has a new release to help with right now!


Retired science teacher Seffie Wardwell has moved to coastal Maine looking for peace, fresh air, and an accepting community. So far, she's enjoying the sea air. When a corpse shows up in Seffi's flower garden, she can't help asking questions about the victim and his death. Police officer Miah Cox doesn't want her assistance, but Seffi's curiosity is what made her a scientist.

The more she learns about the dead man's background, the more she wants to know. Estranged from his wealthy family, and a village pariah for something that happened years before, the dead man had plenty of enemies. At least one wanted to make him disappear forever, and they're all eager to see this case wrapped up and forget about him.

The way Seffi sees it, somebody has to care about him, and as a fellow outsider, she's it. But all of her poking around is stirring up trouble in the village. It's up to Seffie and Miah to figure out whodunit before they strike again, and before the locals decide the handiest scapegoat is Seffie herself.


Find "A Coastal Corpse" in the following places:

Smashwords | Kindle | Amazon Paperback | Amazon Large Type | Barnes & Noble | Apple Store/iTunes | Kobo


Rebecca M. Douglass has lived and worked around the American West for more years than she'll admit, while raising two children to adulthood and dreaming up interesting ways to bump people off. Thanks to good friends in Maine, she has also spent time on the other side of the country and has fallen in love with that coast. Since retiring from work at the library, the author of the Ninja Librarian series for younger readers and the Pismawallops PTA mystery series lives in Seattle, where she is writing the Seffie Wardwell mysteries. She has also had short stories published in a variety magazines and anthologies. When she isn't writing, Ms. Douglass hiking and backpacking or to travel to discover new places or revisit old favorites, including the Grand Canyon and of course Maine, where so many of the best cozy mysteries are found.

Good luck on your book launch, Rebecca!

What are your insecurities? How long have you been hanging around with the IWSG? Have you read any of Rebecca's books?

May you find your Muse.



23 comments:

T. Powell Coltrin said...

It IS nice and helpful to be a part of a supportive community (IWSG).

Good luck to Rebecca on your book launch. It sounds like a winner to me.

Teresa

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We do need that support and community. I appreciated your time as an admin.
Big congratulations to Rebecca!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I so agree with you that we need the support and community that the IWSG offers. Congrats to Rebecca on her new release.

Jemi Fraser said...

Congrats to Rebecca!! The book sounds great!

The IWSG has been great for so many reasons. I love the support we give each other

Sarah Foster said...

The IWSG is such a great community where we can support each other.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Good for Rebecca! I love the title.

Nick Wilford said...

You're right that we need the IWSG. On other platforms, we tend to portray bright, shiny positivity, which is good, but a place to air issues with those who understand them is vital.

Patricia JL said...

I'm fairly certain I became aware of IWSG through the A to Z challenge as well.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Shannon, the way you've shared your short story stats, guest posts for other authors, and all you've written here has been an awesome part of IWSG. Thank you!

And congrats to Rebecca!

Michelle Wallace said...

Your short story stats have always inspired me, Shannon!
The IWSG has such a wonderful sense of community, which is hard to find in online groups.
Happy IWSG Anniversary Day!

J.Q. Rose said...

Thank you for your work with IWSG and offering authors opportunities to shout about new releases. Congrats to Rebecca on her new release. We're heading to Maine this fall and I love cozy mysteries. This book sounds ideal for me.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

IWSG really is supportive. I love cozy mysteries. Best of luck to Rebecca.

cleemckenzie said...

I was impressed that some of the members found their first IWSG posts and re-posted them today. My early ones are somewhere in the blog-o-sphere and probably not worth reading again. I've learned so much in these years and I hope I've improved with this blogging business.

Rebecca's book sounds like a good read.

Loni Townsend said...

I love the support that comes from this group. And like you, I'm not able to visit people as much as I would like. But it's nice to catch up when I do!

Grats to Rebecca!

Fundy Blue said...

It's lovely to belong to the IWSG, Shannon! I've enjoyed your posts over the years. Thanks for featuring Rebecca's newest release. She is a great writer. Wishing you and Rebecca success with your current books!

J Lenni Dorner said...

A new book? Cool!
And you are so right about writers needing each other.

The IWSG is celebrating 12 years today, which is so amazing for a blogging community of writers. A dozen years of support! 🎉
"The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library." – Albert Einstein quote
September is library card sign-up month! Get one, use one, and be grateful such places exist.

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction &Reference Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

Its really great to have a group like IWSG to support each other both in our writing as well as in other areas of our lives. You sound like you've put a lot into this group and the A to Z Challenge.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - we're all so lucky to be a part of the this great group - albeit I only joined after I'd done the first A-Z as I wasn't sure if blogging only fitted right in - then just quietly slotted in. I congratulate Rebecca on her new series ... it sounds an interesting mystery. Thanks to you for all the help you've put in over the years - it's always good/important reading - cheers Hilary

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Thanks so much for the shout-out! Your posts with submission stats have been inspiring to me over the years!

Beth Camp said...

Thank you for saying so well what IWSG means to so many of us. And thank you for supporting writers most directly with your reviews here. Rebecca Douglass' latest looks like an interesting and fun read!

Computer Tutor said...

Didn't know you were part of the Admin for IWSG. It's so well run, I bet that was a lot of work. Best of luck to Rebecca. I like the themes of her series.

ib said...

Shannon, I am an anxiety ridden person so the insecurities abound. That being said, this group has kept me engaged enough to continue writing. Time will tell if my idea ever comes to fruition. I do plan on continuing the blog if nothing else. I originally joined the group in 2012 but took a long hiatus. Happenings in life recently brought me back. Hopefully, I can stay engaged.

Heidi Angell said...

We really do need community and when we cannot build that IRL it is fantastic to find it online. I've been so grateful for the communities I've had to get me through the very difficult times.