Wednesday, April 6, 2022

IWSG - Writing Affirmations

It's time for the April Insecure Writer's Support Group, a meeting of creatives supporting each other through our insecurities. 


Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, we meet the first Wednesday of each month and post about whatever might be bothering us or inspiration for other folks. Anyone can join. Simply click on Alex's name and sign up on the IWSG tab.

Our co-hosts this month are: Joylene Nowell Butler, Jemima Pett, Patricia Josephine, Louise - Fundy Blue, and Kim Lajevardi!

The optional question is: Have any of your books been made into audiobooks? If so, what is the main challenge in producing an audiobook?

Two of the books I've been in have been made into audiobooks, but none of my personal ones have. I'll be reading the answers to this question with quite a bit of interest since that's possibly an upcoming project for me!

Since I'm gearing up for the five workshops I'm teaching at Pikes Peak Writers Conference at the end of this month, here's some inspiration to my fellow writers, positive affirmations, if you will:

1. You're never too old or too young to be a writer.

2. There is no wrong way to do this writing thing. Or this publishing thing.

3. There's nothing wrong with the genre or genres you enjoy writing.

4. Write what you love.

5. Never stop learning, growing or exploring.

6. Learn the rules so you can break them.

7. A story rejection is not a rejection of YOU.

8. Bleed on the page.

9. All writing is writing.

10. Dream.

11. There is an audience for every story.

12. Somebody appreciates something you've written.

13. Keep going. Persevere. You can do this.


Now it's time for my monthly check-in on my submission stats. I do this to keep myself accountable. It's been a slow month. In March:

1 submission

2 rejections 

1 acceptance

1 story came out in a publication

20 stories currently out on submission

3 stories in limbo until I turn them back around and submit them

I also got a rejection from an agent on my novel, BUT she liked my writing and asked me to submit my next project to her. I'd call that a positive rejection!

What are your insecurities? What's your favorite writing quote? Do you have an encouragement you find valuable? Have you been submitting? What has your month looked like in terms of submissions, rejections, and acceptances?

May you find your Muse.


34 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Loved the affirmations. That's so awesome that an agent asked you submit again. That is a positive rejection.

Michelle Wallace said...

Thank you for the affirmations, especially the reminder that: a story rejection is not a rejection of you.
Congrats on your non-stop submissions!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We all need those affirmations!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

More people need to focus on positive affirmations.

Jemi Fraser said...

That's a fabulous rejection (and that sounds so weird!).
Love the affirmations - for me the motivation must come from within and these are great!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

That's a good list of affirmations. Thanks, Shannon.

Leigh Caron said...

Love #8...bleed on the page.

Loni Townsend said...

Great affirmations. Helps to remind ourselves every so often!

Chrys Fey said...

Lovely affirmations.

emaginette said...

Thanks for the affirmations and congrats on the most-excellent rejection.

Keep up the good work. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

E. Arroyo said...

I agree with the others. Way to go and thanks for sharing!

Mary Kirkland said...

I like those positive affirmations.

Olga Godim said...

Beautiful affirmations. #13 is my favorite.

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

Thanks for the encouraging affirmations! I'm glad you had a story published during the past month.

Diane Burton said...

Love the affirmations. So encouraging. Congrats on the agent who likes your writing.

Fundy Blue said...

Good luck at the Pikes Peak Writers Conference, Shannon! I know how much work it takes to do a workshop having done them myself. Your positive affirmations are wonderful. Thank you for sharing them. And congratulations on your writing accomplishments. Have a happy April!

LT said...

I love your list!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I wanted to post something positive!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thanks! Definitely a positive rejection!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Yes, we do! It's not an easy career sometimes.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Sometimes it's hard to focus on the positive, so an occasional reminder is a good thing!

Shannon Lawrence said...

It does sound weird, haha, but also true!

Shannon Lawrence said...

People speak with such confidence about there being a single right way, and it's simply not true! But it can be challenging to be outside what is considered the norm.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thanks!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you! It can be hard sometimes, putting so much of ourselves on the pages.

Shannon Lawrence said...

It does! It's easy to get down in this business.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I feel like it's the hardest one sometimes, too!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you! It's a lot of work, but always worth it in the end.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you!

Lori L. MacLaughlin said...

Thanks for the affirmations! I should put them on my wall to read every day so I can always start with a positive frame of mind. It's great that the agent asked to see more of your work. You are amazingly prolific with your short stories. Have fun at the conference!