Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Guest on IWSG, Mystery Recommendations, & Links

I guest posted on the Insecure Writer's Support Group blog Monday about submission fears and tips.

And today I'm visiting C. Lee McKenzie.

Many Old Books, Martin Vorel, Wikimedia Commons

Also this week, I posted on my Facebook page asking for recommendations of books in the mystery genre, and I'm passing those along:

The Woman in Cabin 10, Ruth Ware

The Turn of the Key, Ruth Ware

The Death of Mrs. Westaway, Ruth Ware

Sweet Water, Cara Reinard

In Her Wake, Amanda Jennings

The Shadows, Alex North

Ancient Enemy (series), Mark Lukens

Verity, Colleen Hoover

The Sea of Lost Girls, Carol Goodman

The Next Wife, Kaira Rouda

Medicus (series), Ruth Downie

Finlay Donovan is Killing It, Elle Cosimano

The Drowning Kind, Jennifer McMahon

Three Pines (series), Louise Penny

Kate Shugak series, Dana Stabenow

Not a Happy Family, Shari Lapena

The Guest List, Lucy Foley

No Exit, Taylor Adams

Our Last Night, Taylor Adams

Anything by: Dorothy L. Sayers, Elizabeth George, PD James, and Fiona Davis


I didn't do my submission stats last week because it didn't feel appropriate with the tribute. So I'm doing it this week instead. These are my short story submission stats for January:

10 submissions

6 rejections

1 acceptance

17 stories currently on submission


Currently open for submissions. Bear in mind that I'm not endorsing these, merely passing them along. Always do your own due diligence before submitting.

Pyre Magazine is seeking "dark, genre-bending works." Up to 3500 words. Also takes flash fiction, nonfiction, photography, poetry, and art. Pays $10. Deadline February 28.

Knight Riding Press is seeking flash fiction and short stories about mermaids for Mermaidens. Up to 7000 words. Pays in royalties. Deadline March 1.

Sans Press is seeking any genre of story that matches the theme/title: The Last Five Minutes of a Storm. Up to 5000 words. Pays 150 Euros. Deadline March 7.

Mascara Literary Review is looking for short fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction with the theme of Resilience. Up to 3000 words. Pays $200. Deadline March 20.

Chicken Soup for the Soul is seeking short pieces with the theme Preteens or Teenagers. Up to 1200 words. Pays $200. Deadline March 30.

Black Hart Entertainment is seeking offbeat horror stories for That is SO Wrong! Up to 7000 words. Pays $10. Deadline March 30.

Dragon Soul Press is seeking stories for the following anthology calls: Chance on Love, Valor (must feature East Asian warriors). 5000 to 15,000 words. Pays in royalties. Deadline March 31. 

Moonflowers & Nightshade is seeking sapphic horror. 2000 to 5000 words. Pays $04/word. Deadline April 1.

Cloaked Press is seeking speculative fiction from the POV of the villain for Summer of Speculation. 4000 to 10,000 words. Pays $15. Deadline April 15.

Any mysteries you've read recently that you'd recommend? Did you check out my post on IWSG? Have you been submitting? Any of these submission calls interest you?

May you find your Muse.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy to host you at the IWSG site!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing your mystery recommendation. I love Louise Penny's books. Lisa Jewell is really good too.

Susan Kane said...

I remember someone who lived in Colorado?, who posted possible competitions for short stories. I bought this book. It is where I am for moving my writing to the next level. Thanks!

Mark said...

I'm reading a lot of 1930s/1940s era mysteries right now. Thanks for all the great suggestions too :)

Mary Kirkland said...

Good luck on your submissions. I used to submit some of my horror short stories way back when but then I started reading romance and wasn't really interested in trying to write anymore.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

that's a great list! Thanks, Shannon. Best of luck with your submissions. You're going to nail an awesome publisher.