As I'm in frantic studying mode today, how about a little Blog Post Lite with a Top Ten?
Top Ten Reasons to Imbibe in Horror:
10. It burns calories. Don't believe me? Check out this Telegraph article on the subject.
9. It teaches you what NOT to do if you ever find yourself in a scary situation. Don't know the rules? Here's a clip from Scream. Big no no!
8. It confirms your fears. Here's a list of things we won't do thanks to scary movies, BUT how many people already had these fears? (Admit it, you were already scared of blond children...)
7. It makes your problems look a tad smaller, at least for a short time. What are your problems compared to being trapped on a plane...with snakes! Gah!
6. It's cathartic. Though I don't entirely buy this article, it will give you something to think about.
5. Sometimes you get to see someone you don't like eat it in horrific ways. (You applauded, didn't you?) And it's especially satisfying when it involves character karma and the serving of justice. Karma.
4. Where else do you get to be horrified, terrified, and sickened, yet enjoy a little comic relief in the process?
3. You get to feel smarter than someone else, like that girl who trips fifty times before the bad guy eats her face. Or the girl who hides under the giant table in plain sight. (I mean, really, at that point, what choice does the psycho have?? If he didn't kill her, his thrill-murderer friends would laugh at him and call him Nancy-boy.)
2. The fictional horror can never come close to horror that lives in reality, but it can help us forget it for awhile. And terror can help you release pent-up emotion of all kinds in a way you're more comfortable with. Like screaming.
1. Good usually wins over evil. Bullies never win.
Bonus: 100 Greatest Horror Movie Quotes of All Time
What's your favorite reason? What are your favorite horror movie or book scenes? What scared the living daylights out of you?
May you find your Muse.