Friday, April 15, 2011

M is for...

Mountain of Authors.

I never did cover my trip to the Mountain of Authors, run by the Friends of the Pikes Peak Library District. There was a panel on Paranormal Fantasy, which included Mario Acevedo, Jeanne Stein and Parker Blue. They spoke about what paranormal fantasy was, how they changed the rules for their paranormal characters (for instance, Jeanne's vampires can go out in daylight) and about getting published. It was a great panel for someone who writes in that genre, though I don't write about vampires, and I think they all had vampires in their books. All three of the authors were interesting, and I got books from each of them, as they sounded good. So far, I've only read book 1 of Jeanne Stein's Anna Strong vampire series, "The Becoming," and I enjoyed it and look forward to reading more.

There was also a publishing panel about small press publishing. The representatives were Doris Baker, Teresa Funke and Nancy Mills. It was interesting learning about small presses and independent publishing. It was stressed that there are things you should spend money on with independent publishing: editing and a graphic artist for the cover. Covers are important, as people really do judge books by their covers. Editing is vital.

Jerry B. Jenkins was the keynote speaker, and he did a great job keeping us entertained for an hour. He was funny and very humble. Plus, he had a story about meeting Stephen King and eating McDonald's with him. Win-win.

M is also for...

Migraine, which has brought this briefer blog entry to you. Yikes!

M is for...

Movies and books about writers.

Romancing the Stone is one of my all-time favorite films. In the beginning, Joan Wilder, romance author, is so caught up in her writing that she has sticky notes all over the house of things she needs to do, but hasn't done. Now that's the type of dedication I need to find (though I couldn't really do that, as I have small children). The film is a great romantic adventure, and Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas are so much fun in it.

I've been meaning to watch "Secret Window" again, as I don't remember much of it. Speaking of Stephen King, though (it's one of his), he frequently puts writers in his books. Some that come to mind are "The Shining," "Misery" and "Stand by Me," all of which were also made into movies. I prefer the Kubrick version of "The Shining," but I seem to recall King didn't like it, which is why he re-did it on television with the guy from "Wings." Don't tell him I liked the Kubrick version best, okay? I should also mention that "Stand by Me" has been a favorite movie of mine for a long time, as well. Check out how many of the kids and teens in that film went on to make names for themselves.

I could write about a billion books or movies starring some manner of writer/author, but I want to hear about your favorites. Books or movies, doesn't matter, but it has to be about a writer.

Happy Writing!

7 comments:

Bluestocking Mum said...

Oooh, I remember that Stephen King Book, Misery - "Crockadoodydirtybirdy" - still remember that line.


Hmm,it must be late. I'm struggling to think of too many books where the writer is in the story.
The only one that springs straight to mind is, Graham Greene's, 'The End of the Affair.' Maurice Bendrix is the main character who starts an affair with Sarah, the wife of an important civil servant. Very rauncy, but deep and tragic plot.

Lydia Elizabeth Burnwell said...

I hope your migrane has improved!! Those are miserable!

Unknown said...

My writing hero? William Golding, read all his work, greatest ambition to have a little of his ability.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry your head hurts, dear, and I certainly hope you get to feeling better. Secret Window, I just watched recently with my mom, and I loved it. Strange, yes. But I can just about watch Johnny Depp in anything. Luke Wilson, whom I adore, plays a writer in Alex & Emma, which is a cute romantic comedy.

By the by, Romancing the Stone is definitely one my favorites. When I was little, I thought Kathleen Turner was the most beautiful woman in the world, and I wanted to be just like her when I grew up and where those pretty flowy skirts she sported in the movie. LOL

Unknown said...

*wear those pretty flowy skirts... Yeesh. Sorry.

Andrew Leon said...

Hmm... the ones that pop to mind are DOA and Love, Actually. I haven't seen DOA in a long time, but I'm pretty sure that has to do with stealing an unpublished book. But I could be getting that confused with some other movie.

However, the movie I would actually say is not really about a specific writer but about writing and reading in general and that's Dead Poets' Society. It is one of the most influential movies I've seen.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Debbie, I can say that line to a friend of mine and we'll both burst out laughing and know exactly what it's from. I've always been curious about Graham Greene, as my grandma had a shelf full of his books, yet I haven't yet read him.

Lydia, thank you, I'm feeling much better now!

Carole, I need to check out William Golding.

Alyssia, ditto on the Depp. I'd forgotten about Alex & Emma. I have always loved Kathleen Turner's voice and thought she was so beautiful.

Andrew, that plot reminded me of Californication. A girl steals her step-mom-to-be's ex-husband's manuscript and gets it published. As complicated as that sentence just was, I'm wondering how the heck you pitch a show that complicated. I love Dead Poets' Society!