Wednesday, January 4, 2023

IWSG - Book Release News & 2022 Submission Stats

Yep, it's that time again. First Wednesday of 2023 means it's Insecure Writer's Support Group time.


Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG creates an environment where writers can share about their insecurities and lend support to their fellow insecure writers. Anyone can join. Simply click on Alex's name and add your blog to the list.

This month's co-hosts are: Jemima Pett, Debs Carey, Kim Lajevardi, Sarah Foster, Natalie Aguirre, T. Powell Coltrin.

This month's optional question is: Do you have a word of the year? Is there a word that sums up what you need to work on or change in the coming year? What's your word for 2023 and why?

I don't usually do a word, but I might as well! This year's word is Productivity. I started a new job in May and another around July or August, and very little time has gone to writing as I learned the jobs and worked to improve at them. This year is the year of writing and publication.

I'm planning on releasing Happy Ghoulidays II March 17 (St. Patrick's Day), with stories for St. Patrick's, 4th of July, Easter, Halloween, and more. So I'm hard at work on that. I didn't release anything in 2022, and that's unacceptable. I also have at least one other release (preferably with much longer pre-order period than HG II will have) planned in 2023, but have ideas for more, so it will all come down to what I can manage along with the job. I have a novel I've decided to self-pub, but I want to get the second in the series written before I start planning the release. There's another (unrelated) novel I need to be editing.

In other words, this is the year of GETTING SH*T DONE. Because I did not last year. I've been terrible about short story submissions, and that needs to improve, too. If I hadn't taken the class with Storied Imaginarium, I wouldn't have written any stories for several months. I'm so glad I took that class. It got me inspired and ready to move ahead full tilt.


Submission Stats for December:

1 submission

2 rejections

0 acceptances

12 currently on submission


Submission stats for 2022:

103 submissions

6 acceptances

85 rejections

15 other (publications went under)

My acceptance percentage was more than double this before, so I need to work on that, too. I will say, though, that I also branched out into other genres and did a lot of fiddling around with that, and a chunk of those submissions are from me playing with new stuff. There was also experimentation in my horror. So this may have influenced the stats.


These markets are open for submissions. Bear in mind I'm not endorsing these, merely passing them along. Always do your own due diligence before submitting.

Accepting Submissions:

Neon Hemlock is seeking queer gothic horror for The Crawling Moon: Queer Tales of Inescapable Dread. Up to 6000 words. Pays $.08/word. Deadline January 15.

World Publishing Company is seeking stories about the gods for Avitus: Humans, Gods, Demons. 2400 to 4200 words. Pays $10. Deadline January 15.

Fulcrum Publishing is seeking essays on women's productive health. Up to 2000 words. Pays $150. Deadline January 20.

Dark Matter Presents is seeking horror involving monsters and their lairs for Monster Lairs. 2000 to 4000 words. Pays $.08/word. Deadline January 30.

Air and Nothingness Press is seeking "stories of massive engineering megastructures that reshape stellar systems" for Gargantua. Should be EXACTLY 1000 words. Pays $.08/word. Deadline January 31.

The Bureau Dispatch is seeking fiction and creative nonfiction with the theme "Wayfinding." Up to 1000 words. Pays $50. Deadline January 31.

Brink is seeking short fiction, poetry, and art with the theme "Gravity." Up to 1500 words. Pays $25 to $100, depending upon submission type. Deadline January 31.

Brigids Gate Press is seeking stories about seers and sibyls. 1500 to 5000 words. Pays $.08/word. Deadline January 31.

The Last Girls Club is seeking horror stories with the theme "Panic." Up to 2500 words. Pays $.01/word. Deadline February 1.

The First Line is seeking stories with the opening line "I am the second Mrs. Roberts." 300 to 5000 words. Pays $10 to $50, depending upon submission type. Deadline February1.

Medusa Tales Magazine is seeking stories of transformation and immobilization. Up to 5000 words. Pays $.01/word. Deadline February 15.

EvOke is seeking stories stories, poetry, and artwork about paganism in the African diaspora. Pays $5. Deadline February 15.

Ghoulish Books is seeking short, fun horror for Ghoulish Times. Up to 5000 words. Pays $.07.word. Deadline February 15. (Note: the editors used to run Dark Moon Digest.)

Other Worlds Ink is seeking hopeful near future stories for Transform the World. 2500 to 15,000 words. $50 to $100, depending upon length. Deadline February 28.

Gwyllion Magazine is seeking speculative fiction. Up to 10,000 words. Pays 10 pounds. Deadline February 28.

Dragon Soul Press is seeking trickster stories. 3000 to 15,000 words. Pays in royalties. Deadline February 28.

Any of these of interest? What's your word for the year? Do you set goals? What's something you want to change for the year? Do you review your submission stats for the year?

May you find your Muse.

*Blue Swoosh - md - OCAL - clker.com

22 comments:

Karen Baldwin said...

Happy New Year! You're a very busy writer and from what I've seen...very productive. Each year my life offers me different journeys and often going off the path proves to be a blessing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Getting sh*t done! Sounds like a plan.

Natalie Aguirre said...

You're right that how much you accomplish will depend in part on your job. But like Liza said, you are always working on your writing goals. You can't ask more of yourself.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like an even busier year for you - make sure to take care of yourself in there too!
Best of luck with all those stories!

J Lenni Dorner said...

I didn't get much done last year either. Productivity is an excellent word.

"Without having a goal, it's difficult to score." Paul Arden
I hope 2023 will become everything you need it to be.

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Reference& Speculative Fiction Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Sounds like you have a plan :-) Happy 2023!

Ronel visiting for IWSG day An Author’s Goals for 2023

Marie Andreas said...

Sounds like your non-plan, is a great plan!! Good luck!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Smart plan to have the second one written first. I'd just finished the third of mine when I began the process with the first.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Writing alongside a day job can be so frustrating, especially when it takes all your energy. But your stats for last year look pretty good. Best of luck with 2023.

Jemima Pett said...

Same as me, really - but I said 'achieve'!

Seriously, the most important one that you said is to get that second book written before releasing the first (and a third drafted if possible). The rest is useful, productive, but of lesser importance if you want your novel to thrive.

Good luck!

Jemima

Computer Tutor said...

Two new jobs? I can see I missed a lot just dropping in once a month! Best of luck with both.

Computer Tutor said...

Sorry! Chrome said they hadn't posted!

emaginette said...

Get it done. Congrats on all your acceptances. Huge feat, and more to come I'm sure. L0(

Anna from elements of emaginette

Chrys Fey said...

Wishing you all the best with your goals and getting sh*t done. Make sure to take breaks and celebrate each accomplishment you meet. :)

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Happy New Year, Shannon! All the luck with your new job. You are truly an amazing writer. Bravo for all you've accomplished and all the luck with your writing plans.

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Well, you are about 100 submissions ahead of me for the year, so I should hope for a year as unproductive as yours!

Aside from all the inspiration words, my word of choice is chocolate.

Diane Burton said...

I like your word. You sound determined to write more this year. Hurray! Best wishes for 2023.

Tonja Drecker said...

Every time I pop by here, you seem so productive. So carry on!

Miffie Seideman said...

It doesn't look like you're a stranger to productivity! You may have had an off year, but clearly are ready to saddle back up and tackle the writing rodeo this year. Happy New Year!

mshatch said...

You've been busy! I've also been writing and recently finished yet another story (first draft). Lots of editing before it's ready for submission.

Happy 2023 :)

Mark said...

Happy New Year! I'm just hoping this year turns out better than last year:)

Shannon Lawrence said...

Karen, it's definitely important to follow those opportunities and change things up.

Alex, I'm sticking to it, so far.

Natalie, that's a good point and one to keep in mind.

Jemi, a great reminder!

J Lenni, that's a great quote!

Ronel, sort of, LOL!

Marie, here's hoping.

Diane, I may lean more toward that timing, but we will see.

Annalisa, it definitely can. I think I'm starting to get a rhythm down between the two.

Jemima, I like that word, too, and it's definitely part of my aim.

Jacqui, thank you!

Anna, thank you! I'd like my numbers to improve.

Chrys, excellent advice!

Victoria, how nice of you to say, thank you!

Rebecca, I can definitely get behind chocolate. It's mostly sugar-free around here right now, but I've even found some good versions of that.

Diane, so far I'm feeling more productive in some ways, so we'll see.

Tonja, thanks, that's good to hear!

Miffie, thank you! I wasn't able to find a link to visit you.

Marcy, I hope you've made progress with the story!

Mark, here's to a better year!