Wednesday, February 6, 2019

IWSG - No Bites

It's time for the February Insecure Writer's Support Group, created by Alex J. Cavanaugh!


Anyone is welcome to join. Simply click on Alex's name above and sign up, post, and visit your fellow insecure writers.

Our co-hosts this month are Raimey Gallant, Natalie Aguirre, CV Grehan, and Michelle Wallace!

The optional question is: Besides writing, what other creative outlets do you have?

I love photography, so that's my other main creative outlet. Unfortunately, I haven't played with it much in the last year or two, but I want to get back to it. My husband gifted me some new lenses to play with for Christmas, and I haven't done so yet. I'm looking forward to it!

I didn't place any short stories in January, so have zero sales for the new year. Boo! However, I have quite a few releases coming out over the next couple months. The publishing world is funny that way. I either have a rash of acceptances coming in or a rash of publications.



Speaking of which, the anthology Twice-Told: A Collection of Doubles came out this past weekend, and includes my Story "Stuck With Me." It's an odd little story about Siamese twins.

Now for a summary of my stats for the month of January. It's pretty dismal.

13 submissions
10 rejections
0 acceptances
10 stories currently on submission

What do your stats for the month look like? What are your insecurities? What other creative outlets do you have?

May you find your Muse.

27 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations!
Funny how writing and publishing comes in waves, isn't it?

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Congrats on the story!

I've got one story still out on submission, one acceptance, and one I'm still working on and hope to sub soon.

Chrys Fey said...

I also love photography. :) A story about Siamese twins? That sounds interesting. Congrats!

cleemckenzie said...

A big congrats on the collection of stories. Would love to see some of your photography.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the anthology. I like the cover.

That's how publishing is for me, too. Everything happens at once or not at all.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

With new lenses, you have to get out and test them out soon.

Congrats on the anthology.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the anthology! Love the cover.

I hope the new lenses inspire you to get out there and take photos. I admire anyone who can do more than point and click with a camera.

Cynthia said...

I too enjoy photography.

No worries about not placing stories in January. We're still at the dawn of the New Year. Look forward to hearing more about your upcoming releases later this year.

Yvonne Ventresca said...

Best of luck with the new releases.

The Cynical Sailor said...

Good reminder that publishing wins come in waves. That's a great book cover for the anthology. My hubby is into photography. You should post some of the pictures you take with your new lenses here.

Priscilla Bettis said...

I like to paint (watercolor). It's messy and colorful and fun.

Jemi Fraser said...

I so admire you for the amount of stories you write and submit!! I'm hoping to do more of that this year.

Andrew Leon said...

If one were to look at my blog lately, one might think I'm a photographer and not a writer.
heh

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Is daydreaming an art? :-) This New Year is just a stalled car: you just had to push this month to get the momentum to start your sales for the rest of the year!

Olga Godim said...

Congrats on your newly published story.

Diane Burton said...

Good luck with the new releases. And congrats on your published story.

Roland Clarke said...

As a retired journalist/photographer, I always enjoy looking at other people's photographic creations - but keep on writing.

Meka James said...

My daughter is getting into photography. She bought herself a fancy camera two years ago and enjoys it. Her cat is her main subject LOL. Congrats on the upcoming releases! Wishing you lots of sales.

Juneta key said...

I have always wanted to take up photography. Happy IWSG

klahanie said...

Hey Shannon,

I think that photography and the written word interact. I've discovered that taking photos and then incorporating them into stories, is quite a positive resource.

Hearty congrats on your published story, Shannon.

Gary

Cathrina Constantine said...

Love photography. Love pictures. Fingers crossed for the 10 stories on submission!!

dolorah said...

I am disappointed in myself that I have not written, or submitted anything to get published this year. I've been concentrating on the regular job that pays the bills. Perhaps I need a new hobby, lol.

J.H. Moncrieff said...

I have slowed down on the submission side since I got an agent. I have two so far, and both worked out. One was for a free book promo, and the other was an author's interview series.

I enjoy photography as well, but aside from cell phone snaps of my kitties, I tend to neglect my camera unless I'm traveling. And then I neglect sharing the photos. Argh! So much to do, so little time.

Mark said...

Photography is cool. I love gardening...when the weather gets warmer of course:)

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Love the cover for "TWice Told" :-)

Ronel visiting for Feb's IWSG Day Being an Insecure Writer -- And Happy About It

mshatch said...

I sent out another query the other day...
Besides writing I draw and paint.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - nothing is smooth in life is it. Your photography could prove useful in many ways ... so enjoy that when the mood takes you - cheers Hilary