Wednesday, August 4, 2021

IWSG - One More Month!

 It's August, which means it's time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group.


Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG exists for insecure writers to gain support, as well as give it. Anyone can join. Simply click on Alex's name and link to your blog, then be sure to hop around and visit other participants from the list.

This month's co-hosts are 

PK Hrezo, Cathrina Constantine, PJ Colando, Kim Lajevardi, and Sandra Cox! Be sure to drop by and give them a visit, plus some thanks for their hard work.

This month's optional question is: What is your favorite writing craft book?

Mine is still "On Writing," by Stephen King. He knows what he's doing, plus what he's supposed to be doing. It's inspirational and informative. I always feel ready to jump into writing after I read it.

This month's insecurity: reviews. I posted asking people to review my books if they've read them, and got ONE review. One. I'm still getting monthly royalties (teeny), but searching on my name doesn't bring up all my solo books, and the ones it does bring up, don't pop up first. There's a Reverend Lawrence Shannon that pops up first. If people can't find me, they certainly can't buy my books. I've seen people offer free books in an attempt to get reviews, but even that doesn't usually work. Anybody have a secret they're willing to share? I intend to hit the ground running as soon as I finish school (three more classes!), and having more reviews would certainly help. Tips?

Okay, time for writing stats. Again, with school being top priority until I finish, I'm not super active, but I did get some submissions done.

In July:

5 submissions

7 rejections

1 short listed

3 requests to send something else

0 acceptances

I hope to be posting that I'm done with school by the September IWSG. Wish me luck!

What are your insecurities? What's your favorite craft book? Have you been submitting? Any great news to share?

May you find your Muse.

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry your own name doesn't always come up or all of your books.
Three more classes and you're done?

Cathrina Constantine said...

Reviews are like pulling teeth. Good luck with finishing school!!

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

Even reviews don't come easy. I'm in a similar situation. I put some super big discounts on my books at Smashwords during the platform's summer sale and I think only copies of my book that I marked down to 100 percent off sold. King's "On Writing" is also my favourite book about writing . Good luck with your courses.

Chrys Fey said...

We read On Writing for the book club last year. :D

Getting reviews is really tough, as Patricia said.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's awesome how you're plugging away at school. So many people are recommending Stephen King's book today. It's a great book.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Do you have a list of reviewers in your genre? Contact any book bloggers or authors you know.

Leigh Caron said...

Love your determination. I've begged people for a review of my book...nada. My Insecurities made me quit. Don't.

Liza said...

I'm an On Writing fan, too.

Olga Godim said...

Good luck with finishing your school.
I found that the only way to get reviews (when I still did that) was to send personal questions to personal emails of book reviewers. If someone said Yes, I'd forward them a digital copy of my book. Free, of course. I didn't like doing that - it felt like begging - but as I've never been a bestseller, it worked for me. Limited success, but at least something.

cleemckenzie said...

Finding reviewers is like finding hen's teeth. They're out there and they love to read, but everyone's clamoring for their attention. There's just so much time to read and review. Good luck with finishing school. Wish you the best.

Fundy Blue said...

September is getting very close ~ You'll be finished before you know it. Wishing you all the best!

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Getting reviews is so hard I've stopped looking. I did put a rather pathetic pleading note on my last post about the Smashwords Summer/Winter sale reminding people that the real reason we give away books or sell them dirt cheap is in hopes that we'll get reviews. Not holding my breath.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Congratulations Shannon on being so near ... well done - all the best now - Hilary

Diane Burton said...

I'm a fan of On Writing, too, even though I don't read horror. So sorry to hear about your lack of reviews. Not easy to get them. Hope this month is better for you.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I picked Mr. King's book too. I signed up with Booksprout. Maybe give them a try. But be patient. It takes a while to get receive.