Wednesday, August 26, 2015

[Mostly] Wordless Wednesday -RMNP & Links

I took a mini vacation with the family this weekend. Though we've got smoke from the fires around the west, the sky cleared up a little bit the afternoon we went to Rocky Mountain National Park.






I'm thinking of everyone near the fires and those suffering from the smoke because of health issues. I have family near the fires, so I'm trying to keep an eye on the new ones popping up. All are safe at this time. I hope those of you near them are doing okay and are safe.

Now for this week's links. I am not endorsing any of these publications. Always do your own due diligence before submitting to a publication.

Accepting Submissions:

Prairie Rose Publications is seeking submissions to two Christmas anthologies. A Mail-Order Christmas Bride is a western historical romance. One Christmas Knight is a Medieval Romance. 10,000-15,000 words. Deadline September 15 for both. Pay not specified.

CBAY (Children's Brains are Yummy) Books is seeking submissions for their anthology Giants & Ogres. Fantasy and science fiction aimed at 13-18 year olds. Must feature a main character who is either a giant or an ogre. Up to 5000 words. Pays $30. Deadline September 18.

Crossed Genres is seeking short stories with the theme of Nonsense. (Also still accepting stories for their Pronouns & Genders issue until August 31). 1000-6000 words. Pays $.06/word. Deadline September 30.

Fey Publishing is seeking short stories for their Witches anthology. Up to 10,000 words. Pays $5.00. Deadline September 30.

Pseudopod (as well as Escape Pod and Pod Castle) is seeking horror short stories written by women for Artemis Rising 2: Hecate Strikes Back. This is a month long celebration of women in horror. 2000-6000 words. This will be presented as a series of podcasts. Pays $.06/word. Submissions open during the month of September only.

Lillicat Publishers is seeking short science fiction stories for Visions III: Inside the Kuiper Belt. 3000-8000 words. Token payment of $25. Deadline is August 30 for art, September 30 for fiction.

Chicken Soup for the Soul is seeking stories and poems for their themed anthology Angels and Miracles. Up to 1200 words. Pays $200 per story. Deadline September 30. (There are also several titles/themes with a deadline of August 31.)

Pentimento is seeking short personal stories on disability, either from the person with the disability or someone who works with/is related to/provides care for someone with a disability. They also take writing from kids that does not need to be disability related. Up to 6000 words. Pays between $25 and $250. Deadline September 30.

Of Interest:

Ember: A Journal of Luminous Things is running an Indiegogo campaign in an attempt to raise their contributor pay rates to professional instead of semi-professional.

Bustle posted an article about 11 Books That Scared Stephen King. You may find it surprising that they're not all horror stories.

Are any of you near the fires? Are you safe? Any of these of interest? Anything to share? Publishing news?

May you find your Muse.

21 comments:

Chrys Fey said...

I would love to go to the Rocky Mountain National Park. That little critter...chipmunk? Is adorable! Nice shot!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Heading over to read that Bustle article right now. Books that scared Stephen King? Whoa! :)

Anonymous said...

Always useful links, thanks!
I'm worried about the fires too. Know some folks out in that direction and it's just gotta suck. Beautiful pictures!

Michelle Wallace said...

Thanks for all the links, Shannon!
Happy Writing & Submitting!
Great pics!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Prayers for those near the fires.
That's quite a view in those shots!

Nick Wilford said...

I hope the fires settle down and everyone stays safe. The landscape looks beautiful in your photos. Great links, thanks!

Christine Rains said...

Gorgeous photos! I'd like to visit there one day too. Thanks for the links. I needed one today to write my short story for next month. I'm thinking that Giants & Ogres one.

Yolanda Renée said...

Love the photos as always, but yes, fear of fires must be heavy. Stay safe you and your family!
And again, thanks for the links! Awesome!

John Wiswell said...

Beautiful landscape! And I may have a piece for Crossed Genres...

Susan Kane said...

We are in the wildfire time here in San Diego. Holding our breath, because we had such a destructive fire last year.

Praying for those in the fire's path.

cleemckenzie said...

Fire is so scary. I've been keeping up with the news on those up north and hoping my friends are going to be safe.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Yes, a chipmunk. They were so friendly, they were running right up to us. I sat on the wall and was worried one would run up my back, so I kept having to shoo them away.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I have yet to read any of them, but would like to.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I've been there and know how miserable it is, even if the fire isn't in your own backyard. My cousin just posted that the mountains are due some snow.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thanks!

Shannon Lawrence said...

It's gorgeous up there. I love the mountains.

Shannon Lawrence said...

It's surprisingly green around here this year, and it's showing in the photos.

Shannon Lawrence said...

The G&O one looks interesting, and as excited as I am about the one publication I've got coming out that my kids can actually read, I'm thinking it would be fun to submit to another kid-friendly one.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm far away from them, thankfully. (The smoke made it all the way to Colorado). And my family has been safe, too!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Good luck with Crossed Genres! I'd like to have something for them one of these days.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I hope you're still saying safe out that way. I've got a lot of family around California, but haven't heard much from where they are.