Wednesday, August 12, 2015

[Mostly] Wordless Wednesday - Beating the Storm & Links

A rainier than usual summer has been keeping us inside recently, but we got out right before a thunderstorm for an aborted hike at Red Rocks yesterday, so I figured I'd share a couple of the few photos I got before the thunder chased us away. 

Duck, duck, tree.

I love the pattern in the water behind her.

 Babies!

We've had so much rain that the pond is not only full, but there are two now.

Here comes the storm over the Rockies!


I'm having to ease back on computer time for the rest of the month due to my chronic migraine condition, but I'll do my best to post when I'm able and to visit everyone on the good days. Things should improve by September, so I'll see you more then!

Link time! I am not endorsing these, merely passing them along. Be sure to do your own due diligence before submitting.

Accepting Submissions:

Ellen Datlow has put out a call for submissions to Best Horror of the Year. These should be stories you had published in 2015. There is also a section for other forms of horror that came out (novels, for instance), so you can notify her of anything you have that qualifies. Pay is unknown. Deadline December 15. 

Stephen Jones is taking submissions for Best New Horror Volume 27. This should be short stories published in 2015. Like the anthology above, there is a section involving other forms of horror, too. Pay is unknown. Closes in January. 

Paula Guran is taking submissions for The Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy Novellas, as well as The Year's Best Dark Fantasy and Horror. Pay unknown. Deadline December 1. 

Freeze Frame Fiction is taking submissions for their October edition. All genres. 1000 words or less. Pays $10. Deadline September 15. 

Sorcerous Signals is seeking fantasy submissions for their next edition. Up to 10,000 words. Pays $5 for short stories, $2 for poems and flash fiction. Deadline September 15. 

Twit Publishing is putting together a Lovecraftian anthology entitled Tales of Unseen Terror and Slumbering Horrors. 4000-9000 words. Horror. Pays in royalties. Deadline September 15. 

Inkstained Succubus Press is seeking horror stories for their December anthology, Winter Shivers. Horror. 5000-10,000 words. Pays in royalties. Deadline September 15. 

Fastrider Magazine is looking for fantasy short stories. 1000-4000 words. Pays $.03/word. 

Zetetic is accepting prose and poetry. Up to 2500 words. Open genre. Pays $.02/word or $20, whichever is more. 

Tumbleweed Books is looking for true stories for their Love of Life anthology. 2000-6000 words. Pays $.01/word. No deadline, but it will close once filled. 

Any of these of interest? Anything to share? Publication news? When do your kids go back to school? Have you gotten much writing done over the summer?

May you find your Muse.

21 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I've seen pictures of the flooding out your way. We have too much rain this summer too. Hoping for a few dry days soon.
Susan Says

Yolanda Renée said...

We had rain, now it's kinda dry, but not too bad. Looks like fall will be early.It's cooler than usual for August. Love the photo's.
Hope your migraines slip away very, very fast!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you were rained out. Great photos though.

A Beer for the Shower said...

Meanwhile, we haven't had but a few drops over here. We'll gladly take some of yours.

I get a really bad migraine about once or twice a year, and it just cripples me for about 2 days. I couldn't imagine getting that chronically. So hang in there, and feel better!

Andrew Leon said...

I really like the one of the tall rock.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Beautifully done pictures of the ducks Shannon. They always look so carefree. I love the idea of the Love of Life anthology and it sounds very inspiring

Michelle Wallace said...

I really love your pics!
Thanks for the links.

Shannon Lawrence said...

There's definitely been flooding. I've got family suffering drought on the west coast, and here we have too much. Both are damaging.

Shannon Lawrence said...

We're questioning how fall will play out for us this year. It's been so wet and temperate, I'm not sure what to expect. If the wet continues, we'll likely have early snow.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I need to try to get out there again, but we've got thunderstorms due out today, too.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Really? How far west are you? Denver's been getting such crazy weather.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thanks! I like the tree sticking up out of the water. With the reflection, it's spider-like.

Shannon Lawrence said...

It does sound inspiring. The ducks were cute. Running up onto land to beg for food (we didn't have any, so they were quacking up the wrong tree.)

Christine Rains said...

Gorgeous pictures! I love the ducks. Thank you for the links. I've been good about submitting this year.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I love watching ducks swim. I also love a good storm - we tend not to get really good ones in Britain.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your migraines. There's been rain and sun equally where I am. I prefer the sun for picture taking.

Kimberly said...

Gorgeous photos. I'm always intrigued by the red rocks or landscape - it's always so interesting. Oh gosh, I hope your migraines go away soon!

Shannon Lawrence said...

That's great! Keep going!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Not many thunderstorms? It seems like we rarely get rain without a storm to go with it.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I prefer the sun for photos, too. They never turn out great for me when it's gray.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I love the red rocks, too. I'd love to see Australia's.