Wednesday, July 23, 2014

[Mostly] Wordless Wednesday - Goofy Asides & Links

For this week's photos, I figured I would post some random goofy pics I've snapped with my phone recently. I've previously posted a couple of these, but I was cleaning out my cell phone, so you get them again. (Disclaimer: I was not driving when I took ANY of these photos. I was stopped at lights for the three taken from my car.)

Sounds...tasty? (It says Colon Orchards)

On a bench in front of a restaurant in Estes Park

If you can read this, UR2CLOZ

They really take employment seriously here (Hospital Property)

No, thanks? (Teste the Sunshine)
Works for me!

Look for it in a town near you.
Hungry?
A good rule of thumb!

Now for some links! Bearing in mind that I am not personally recommending these, nor have I researched them. I pass along what I find. Always do your due diligence before submitting.

Accepting Submissions:

Unsolicited Press is about to end their reading period for their autumn issue of The Fictioneer, their literary magazine. Fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, op-eds, interviews, and art. Deadline is August 1. Pays in royalties.

Chicken Soup for the Soul is looking at putting together a collection of Christmas stories. 1200 words or less. Deadline August 30. Pays $200 per story.

Tacitus Publishing is seeking short fiction stories for their anthology, It's a Grimm Life. They want a modern look at the Grimm Fairy Tales. 1500-5000 words. Deadline August 31. Pays $.01/word and a contributor e-copy.

Less Than Three Press has a call out for their anthology, Lovely, Dark and Deep. Dangerous tales set in the forest. 10,000-20,000 words. Deadline August 31. Pays $200, plus contributor e-copies and print copies.

Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing wants your funny Halloween stories for their Funny Halloween anthology. 2000-10,000 words. Deadline August 31. Pay unknown. They are also taking submissions for their Hope and Love Charity Anthology (LGBTQ protag - deadline August 1) and Cogs in Time 2 (steampunk - deadline August 10).

Cleis Press has a call out for their gay erotica anthology, Cowboy Up. 2000-5000 words. Deadline August 1. Pays $50, plus 2 contributor copies.

Michael Matheson is editing This Patchwork Flesh, an anthology of LGBT western horror. 90% Canadian, but all are welcome to submit. <8k words. Deadline August 31. Pays $.05/word.

Photography:

Call for possible cover photos. You can submit up to 10 photos for the cover of Vine Leaves Literary Journal. If your piece is accepted, you will be paid 50 Euros.

Contests:

Writer's Digest and The Guide to Literary Agents Blog is holding their Dear Lucky Agent Contest. This is for Middle Grade fiction (this time around--the genre/niche changes each time). Submit 150-200 words of your unpublished book. Deadline July 30. Top 3 winners get a critique from Peter Knapp, literary agent, plus a one-year subscription to Writersmarket.com.

STOP READING HERE, GARY!

Blog Stuff:

Beth Fred, Lexa Cain, and Medeia Sharif are hosting the International Potluck Blogfest on August 12. You are asked to post a cover to a book you love and food associated with it.

Anything of interest here? Anything to share? Publishing news? Have you seen any funny signs or other items?

May you find your Muse.




7 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love that bench sign about nothing happening. And elk nuts?? LOL

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The bench sign wins!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the signs and the links. I liked the bench sign and the church sign.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

That laughing/jogging sign totally cracked me up. Hey, I guess that means I got my exercise in for the day! :)

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

Maurice Mitchell said...

Keep your hands of hospital property guys!

klahanie said...

Hey Shannon,

Yep, it's me, your adoring fan, Gary.

Coincidentally, on my site in 1897, nothing happened. So, no change there.

Skilfully ignoring the mention of yet another blog fest, I shall wish you a pleasant day.

Gary :)

A Beer for the Shower said...

The laundromat near Brandon always has some ridiculous sayings on their billboard. Last week's was "Keep cool in the summer by washing your dirty clothes!" So... at what point is the filth on your clothes affecting your temperature?