Monday, March 12, 2012

1000 A-to-Z'ers! & Word CAPTCHA Changes

First, exciting news! We reached 1000 sign-ups for the A-to-Z Challenge! Wow! If you haven't signed up yet, there's still plenty of time. That's 1000 possible new people for you to meet.

Speaking of the A-to-Z Challenge, you're probably seeing a lot about the new Word CAPTCHA system Blogger has begun using. By CAPTCHA, I mean the word verification you have to do in order to make a post on some blogs. The problem is that the new CAPTCHA can be very hard to read, especially for those of us with eye issues (for instance, macular degeneration, which I have...don't go check my avatar again, I'm only in my 30's--it was a freak incident with a really bad bout of the flu). It's not just us freaks, though, the words are hard to read.


Have you noticed that the first word is typically more easily read, but the second word is sometimes unreadable, and pretty much always hard to read? I believe, and I could not confirm that with the small amount of research I started out doing before my internet went loopy on me, that this is because Blogger may have switched everyone over to reCAPTCHA. reCAPTCHA takes the system already in place to prevent spammers and puts it to use in digitizing old books and newspapers. You see, computers can't read text that is mushed together or has some other image through it, like a line (give them time). This is why word verification programs like CAPTCHA work to keep spammers off your blog; little bots sent out to spam online cannot translate this kind of text.

This new reCAPTCHA system sticks a known word (known to the computer, that is) next to a piece of scanned text that the computer cannot read. When people enter the word verification and get the first word right, the computer gets to assume the second word was also entered correctly, and the system can now translate that word from that specific piece of writing. I am assuming, possibly incorrectly, that this same word must be translated multiple times in the same way before it is accepted as valid. One would hope, anyway.

This information can be taken one of two ways. Either you get to be happy you're helping translate old texts so they can be properly digitized, or you can be frustrated anyway and throw your keyboard out the window as I've been tempted to do many times.

As interesting as it may be to be a part of this, I'm going to have to set a personal rule that if I have to push the little "new word" button more than once, I will not be commenting on that blog. There have been a few occasions where I had to keep pushing it because every word that came along was illegible. This can be a great frustration, and can lose you readers in the long run. You may want to consider turning it off, especially during high traffic times (such as April if you're participating in the A-to-Z Challenge). I've gone ahead and disabled mine to save others the frustration. The sound playback is often not any better. I can tell you that I am getting notified of spam, but Blogger is automatically catching any anonymous comments, which is the only form it's come in, so far. So I get the email about the spam, but when I check the actual post, the spam has not been posted, nor is it waiting in my dashboard for me.

If you aren't sure whether you have CAPTCHA set up on your blog, there is a good chance you do. It appears to be set up to go automatically if you don't disable it. If you're curious as to how to do this, go to "Design" on the top right of your blog (this is for Blogger blogs only), "Settings," and look under the sub-category "Comments." If you are using the new interface, you have to change back to the old one to view that particular section.

I will still visit blogs that have CAPTCHA; I just may not be able to comment as often as I might otherwise. It can be time consuming trying to identify the CAPTCHA word, and I just don't have that kind of time!

How do you feel about the new CAPTCHA/reCAPTCHA?

May you find your Muse.

17 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Congrats on reaching 1000!

Oh, I hate captcha. I'm really struggling with it today, actually - one blog took me four tries. Argh.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes, we hit a thousand participants!
The new word verification is awful. Blogger has such a spam filter, there's really no need for it.
Addressing this in my A to Z post on Friday.

Spanj said...

It's horrendous. I have to wear reading glasses, but even my glasses don't make these words legible. I have sometimes had to try new words 4 or 5 times.

I have been guilty of giving up commenting on blogs using it, and give a groan every time I see one. Please people, turn it off.

Dani said...

I have disabled mine too. I had a follower tell me that it was very hard for her to comment on my posts because CAPTCHA was giving her a hard time.

I hate it when I come across a blog that does have it.

Great post!

Christine Rains said...

1000! That's awesome! :)

I don't like the new CAPTCHA and I do comment less on those blogs that have it.

John Teal said...

I hate captcha codes too !! As my son points out, if the computer doesn't know the scanned word you cant get that one wrong, there fore you only have to try with one and put whatever you want in the other !

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

I just found out today I have word verification. Can anyone tell me to to disarm it.
dreamweaver

Andrew Leon said...

I find it non-humorously ironic that in trying to stop spammers, blogger has it made it easier for them. I only very rarely had any spam before the new system, like once every two months, but with the new system, because it's such a pain-in-the-butt, I had to turn it off, so, now, I get spam several times a week. Way to go blogger!

M Pax said...

Yay, on 1000!

The new captcha...I wish folks would get rid of it. Blogger blocks all my spam without it.

Susan Kane said...

1000 participants!? Huzzah! Any suggestions on how to manage catching that many?
I disabled the catch ya thing. Hate it.

Unknown said...

Every time I see one of these posts I cheer! Here is how I feel:
http://sivmaria.blogspot.com/2012/02/captcha-what.html

Arlee Bird said...

The blogger Captchas are not as bad as the ones on Facebook--those are nuts. There is also an option of listening to an audio Captcha if you can't do the visual ones. Talk about spooky. The audio ones are like listening to messages from space or the world of the dead. It creeps me out to listen to those.


Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge
Blogging from A to Z

Annalisa Crawford said...

Wow, 1000 - that's quite scary!

I hate Captcha, and I've given up on a comment if I haven't been succesful the first time. Having a whole other set to type in really annoys me.

Nikki said...

I'm so glad we got 1000 participants! :)

I have a little trouble with it too, it's one of those annoying little things that would make things so much more simple if it wasn't there. I'm pretty sure I have mine turned off, at least :) It was nice to learn about it though, since I didn't even know what it was!

Chuck said...

I have to admit I have been as annoying as captcha lately. I vehemently HATE this form of torture. I have pleaded with every site I now read that has this, to turn. it. off. If I get it wrong a couple times...I just move on. I have never had one single spam or even anonymous comment in almost 3 years of blogging. It truly is NOT necessary.

Somebody should post (one of the co-hosts) on the A-Z site that all participants should consider removing this hazard to commenting. April is a month to gain readers but they will go away quick with being required to word-verify in order to comment...simply because there will be no time to toy with it.

Thanks for the post Shannon!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Talli, I've had that happen. It drives me nuts!

Alex, the spam filter really is effective, which is a huge relief!

Angeline, I hear you! It's just not worth it.

Danielle, I think that's what people are going to have to do...tell people who have it that they just can't do it anymore.

Christine, I'm getting there, for sure.

John, oh, interesting! Thanks for that info.

Debra, I'll stop by and see if you already found out since I'm behind on comments.

Andrew, exactly! I think the old way was working just fine.

M Pax, so far, it catches all mine, too.

Susan, it takes a team!

Siv, will be by shortly!

Lee, I haven't been able to get the audio to work, which is frustrating. You're right on the Facebook ones, though!

Annalisa, I feel the same way. There just isn't enough time to sit and mess with it.

Inspire, I'm glad it was at least informative!

Chuck, I believe that mentions are in the works, if I haven't already missed them in lagging behind. We definitely encourage people to turn it off, at least for the challenge, if they want to gain new readers!

Anonymous said...

Requested just lately to write about electronic cigarettes, I've to confess that I had never listened to of like a thing. Some web study later and that i found that [url=http://www.vaporultra.com/5-pack-25-cartridges/ ]cheap e cigarette refills [/url] are quite a great deal a quickly expanding concern. A Google look discovered you can find no smoke devoid of hearth as practically six million success just for the phrase "electronic cigarette" have been returned.

What is an e-cigarette?

The ecigarette continues to be in existence for almost three a long time and is particularly a clever machine targeted at supplying people who smoke that has a much healthier possibility. Evidently also beneficial in assisting to lower and indeed give up smoking completely.

Now in a fourth generation, e cigarettes became a lot more consumer helpful than earlier versions which maybe were a little bit far too big to persuade a mass industry charm. The "mini" is considered the most sensible e cigarette so far with its duration of 100mm becoming the same as a conventional cigarette.

An e-cigarette has a style of tobacco but not one of the dangerous substances discovered in standard cigarettes permitting people who smoke cravings to get satisfied with out inhaling the numerous dangerous toxic compounds. Could it be all smoke and mirrors? Or can this merchandise really be the saviour it wishes to become?

A battery, an atomiser plus a renewable nicotine chamber makes it possible for the smoker to carry and smoke the electric cigarette just as they might another cigarette, even making a "smoke" like vapour and glow at the finish because they attract. The nicotine chamber proves extremely helpful as cartridges are available in several strengths, permitting the user to cut back the amount of nicotine they intake until finally whenever they hope, can stop fully.

A nicotine cartridge typically lasts the exact same time as 15 to twenty cigarettes, consequently making a substantial preserving to normal fees. Standard, medium, lower and no nicotine in any way are classified as the various cartridge strengths.

A much healthier selection entirely it appears, although the advantages don't close there. Due to ecigarette not emitting any dangerous substances, harmful toxins or genuine smoke for that subject, they may be flawlessly authorized to smoke in community. In wintertime especially, ordinary cigarette people who smoke must brave the freezing cold along with the rain just for a fast cigarette smoking split but this different allows them to remain inside their places of work, restaurants and pubs.

None people who smoke also will reward, as their worries about inactive using tobacco are rendered null and void by the e-cigarette. A way more sociable surroundings then!

On reflection the electronic cigarette is usually a healthier, cheaper and eco-friendly option to cigarette smoking and as the recognition as well as industry grows they've terrific likely to productively swap the hazardous cigarettes we now have all come to understand and many of us have come to dread and worry.