Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thursday Helpful Links: Forensic Science, Flash Fiction, PPW Conference

Today's Helpful Links:

The Pikes Peak Writer's Conference is open for registration! You can go to their site at www.pikespeakwriters.com. You can also go to that site to join, which is free!

Speaking of Pikes Peak Writers, click here for the December Write Brain, a FREE MP3 workshop, with handouts you can print up, run by Chris Mandeville, PPW's president, entitled "52 Ways to Get Unstuck." It's worth listening to, even if you're not stuck right now. Chris is a great speaker and motivator for her fellow writers.

If you enjoy writing flash fiction, there's a great blog and newsletter that updates on paying markets, contests, etc. You can find the blog here, and if you look on the left-hand side, you can see where to sign up for the free newsletter. You can also request that information be put in there, such as if you're running a contest.

Speaking of contests, don't forget the NLAPW Flash Fiction contest with the theme "Are You Devious At Heart?" More information here.

Lastly, for mystery writers, or anyone writing about police investigations, there is a great informative blog called Forensics4fiction. He posts all manner of fascinating forensic information that you might have trouble finding elsewhere. This week included obtaining ear prints at the scene of a crime, touring the crime lab, getting fingerprints from dead bodies, shoe-print overlays and recovering erased marks from a white board. I don't even write crime, but I find it all fascinating.

I hope you find one or all of these links helpful. Come back tomorrow for an official A-to-Z announcement that includes an introduction to all the hosts.

Any interesting links you'd like to share?

May you find your Muse.

7 comments:

Mark said...

Thanks for the links:) Although I may not be able to go, I still like learning about all these events:)

Christine Rains said...

Wow, interesting. Ear prints. Never thought of that. Might be fun to use somewhere in a story. Thanks for sharing!

Susan Oloier said...

I wanted to go to Pikes Peak last time with another writer/blogger friend, but just couldn't pull into together. I'd love to go, but live about six + hours away. I'll keep it on my radar, though. Thanks for the links, Shannon.

BragonDorn said...

I was thinking about doing the A to Z but I figured I would fail before I got to C.. :P

Rebecca said...

thanks for the links

Trisha said...

Those all look like excellent resources...thanks so much for sharing!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Mark, maybe some year you can make it.

Christine, I'd never thought of it, either. There are lots of things like that on the Forensics blog.

Susan, I hope you can make it some time!

BragonDorn, you can do it! You could always do a Sammy alphabet theme. That sounds like a lot of work since you illustrate it.

Becca, my pleasure!

Trisha, thank you; I hope you find them useful!