Wednesday, February 3, 2021

IWSG - Is Change in the Air?

 It's time for the February Insecure Writer's Support Group, and boy am I insecure. 


Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG exists for writers to gain support and get support. Anyone can participate by signing up at Alex's blog or the IWSG site. It's more fun if you go around and visit old friends and new alike.

Speaking of friends, the optional question for this month is: Blogging is often more than just sharing stories. It's often the start of special friendships and relationships. Have you made any friends through the blogosphere? 

Of course! When I first created my blog, it was because it was recommended for the big "P" word for writers just starting out (platform). What I didn't expect was to find these great things called blog hops (and the fun things that branched out from those), which led me to the AtoZ Challenge, which I got to co-host for a while, and then to the IWSG, which I also got to be a part of for a while. Both these led me to so many great friends, a couple who I've gotten to meet in real life at writing conferences. Hopefully there will be many more of those opportunities in the future. I was looking forward to meeting one of those bloggers at Stoker Con this year, as it's being held in Denver, but they're still holding it in person before most people have gotten vaccinations, which means I'm likely not going. We locals had sort of hoped the in-person would be delayed until next year, with an online one taking its place this year, but it doesn't look like that will happen. Hopefully next year's is somewhere I can afford to travel and a place I'm willing to go alone since I don't have a bunch of local horror friends to travel with me there as I might have for another different type of conference.

Thank you to this month's co-hosts:  Louise - Fundy Blue , Jennifer Lane, Mary Aalgaard, Patsy Collins at Womagwriter, and Nancy Gideon!

My insecurities from the last few IWSG posts have followed me into this one, and I've done a lot of thinking, with plenty more on the horizon. Some of it has involved a possible change of direction. But thanks to a surprising burst of support from editors lately, both past editors and ones I got recent rejections from, I will try to maintain my current path for a bit longer. In the meantime, I'm considering some options, including a change in genres and lengths. 

That seems like a good time to segue into my monthly stats, which I do to keep myself accountable and find the encouragement to keep submitting. In January:

10 submissions (all on the 29th and 30th when I took a night off to do some major editing and submitting to get caught back up after school took up all my time.)

0 acceptances

8 rejections

0 releases

19 stories currently on submission (this *may* be a record number of stories out at one time)

1 full MS requested and currently under review

1 novel query unanswered, but not yet at the point where I'm to consider it a no

Not much to the stats this month, but that's okay.

Because I keep squeaking my blog posts out with little time, I'm going to try to do a monthly round up of places open to submissions in the next month, so they'll all be in a single post. It just takes too much time these days to try to go through and find them each week then get all the necessary info for each post. So look for that later this month.

What are your insecurities? Have you made any friends in the blogging community? Have you been writing and submitting? What are your stats?

May you find your Muse.

25 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

Half my friends on Facebook are people I met while I had my first Blogger blog. It's been fantastic to keep in touch and see careers develop. Before that I had no friends who wrote at all, I felt very isolated.

Liza said...

I am always amazed by your stats. Good or bad, they mean you are sending out, a reminder that writing is a business too. I struggle with querying and am going to remind myself to get going. Thank you for that.

Bish Denham said...

I can't get motivated to write, much less to query and submit. I'm impressed with your continued efforts! As for blogging friends, so very many to which I am gratefully indebted.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We had fun as Challenge hosts and glad you helped with the IWSG for a while.
Just keep an eye on that conference - things will likely change by the time it rolls around.

Leigh Caron said...

Your stamina is to be admired. You could write a book on how to find motivation to submit and cast away the fear of rejection. I

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - you're doing so much with all your writing and submissions and now studying - good luck ... it's an amazing place - we can learn so much about life ... all the best - Hilary

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm always amazed at your submissions! You're prolific!
My insecurities are a bit overwhelming right now - mostly just taking one step at a time :)

Marie Andreas said...

You are getting a lot of work out there! That's great! My insecurities this month: I left the day job and went full time writer. Sooooo- I'm having a wee bit of nerves! Happy IWSG day!

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's great how you continue to submit. I think that's the key to someday getting an agent. Most of the authors I interview kept writing and submitting until they were able to get an agent and publishing contract. And it's always good to review your options and make changes in your focus if you need to.

Patsy said...

I'm not sure blogging really works as a platform from which to sell books anymore – but I suppose it doesn't hurt and it has other advantages.

Chrys Fey said...

I started blogging for the same reason, so the community I found and the friends I made was a pleasant surprise. :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Change is good when you're in charge, go for what you want!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've made a lot of friends here and met several of them in the real world.

Diana Stout said...

Congratulations on your submissions! Can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket. ;) Can't get accepted if you don't submit. Good for you for ignoring those insecurities an submitting anyway.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Way to go on your subs - getting stuff out there consistently is awesome!
I just signed up for Quarancon online - in April, and actually on the IWSG page, which I am behind on managing.

Olga Godim said...

I'm awed by your persistence in submitting. Something to learn from, surely.

Fundy Blue said...

You are persistent, Shannon! That may be the most important thing in breaking through. You are an inspiration! Stoker Con sounds scary. My Denver conferences have been CCIRA ~ Colorado Council of the International Reading Association. Children and reading are much less scary for me. Good luck with your submissions!

Steph W. said...

I have seen a lot of mention of the A to Z challenge. I need to look into that!

mshatch said...

crossing my fingers for you on the request.

J Lenni Dorner said...

19 stories in submission? *long, slow whistle* Impressive.
That's awesome that you were a co-host for A to Z. I'm currently the team captain. I hope you'll do the challenge again this year!

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

Keep submitting. Landing sales for stories is hard for everyone but it can be done if you're serious enough about it which you definitely are. I'm trying to fit in more time to work on my fiction between my story marketing/promotions and my day job.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Wow! Those are awesome stats... Great going.
The Blogosphere has been such a blessing for so many of us!

John Wiswell said...

That's great output, Shannon! Keeping the numbers up has been difficult for me lately, but I'm chugging along. Good luck on these subs!

Lidy said...

I started blogging because of the platform as well. All the bloggers/writers I've met since and through IWSG was the bonus.

Diane Burton said...

Your energy as demonstrated by your stats amazes me. Great organization. The friends I've made through blogging are so supportive and encouraging, like IWSG.