Wednesday, October 23, 2013

[Mostly] Wordless Wednesday - Snookie Wookie Grizzlyums & Links

For [Mostly] Wordless Wednesday, have a gander at my grizzly friend.


This was a grizzly at the Wild Animal Sanctuary. He was hurt, so was away from the other grizzlies. We watched as he limped over to this water tub and delicately climbed inside, which took a couple minutes. His sigh of relief caused all of us to relax noticeably, probably none of us having realized how tense we were watching him and willing him into that tub. He put his head down on the side and shut his eyes in relief. No idea what the injury was, but it appeared to be to his paw and/or leg. Doesn't he have a sweet face?

Now for some links.

Accepting Submissions:

Roane Publishing is taking submissions for two anthologies, both with a deadline of November 15. Winter's Sweet Kiss is about love in winter, while Bad Boys Rock is an erotic anthology. Pay unknown.

Chrome Baby is seeking submissions of flash fiction for their December issue. Pays a nickel per word. Though it is for December, they are not seeking Christmas stories. Deadline is November 15.

Garden Gnome Publications is accepting submissions for their Biblical Legends anthology series. They seek flash fiction, short fiction, poetry, essays, and nonfiction. Pays $3 per flash, $7 per short, $11 per essay, $13 per poem. Deadline for Garden of Eden theme is November 23. Sodom and Gomorrah deadline is March 23. Deluge deadline is June 23. Land of Nod deadline is September 23.

Digital SF is always accepting submissions. They take short stories, novellas and novels (for serial publication only) in the genres of hard sci-fi, space opera, and speculative sci-fi. Pays a percentage based upon word count, further based upon how much money minus fees is brought in. E-publication via Kindle only.

Contests:

Walking on Thin Ice is a short story contest with the theme of mental health and the stigma attached to it. Deadline is November 15. Cash prizes. No entry fee. Winning entries will be published in an e-anthology.

Arcadia Magazine is open to any and all genres and topics in a variety of art and writing categories. Pays with a contributor copy.

Blog Hops and Events:

Howlin' Wolf Records and Jason Comerford are putting on 13 Chills again this year. Drop by to check it out. They're presenting us with memorable moments in horror film music.

Write Away Bliss is hosting the Paranormal Palooza through Halloween. It's too late to sign up as an author, but you can visit the posts throughout the month.

The 2nd Annua Oh, How I Miss You Blogfest will be held November 8. Hosted by Andrew Leon, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and Matthew McNish, they ask that you write about bloggers you miss or would miss if they went away.

Anything to share? Anything above of interest to you? Experience with any of these publications?  Good news to share?

May you find your Muse.

23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I imagine the cool water felt good to him.
Thanks for plugging our blogfest!

Yolanda Renée said...

A teddy bear face - and so dangerous!

Thanks again for the links!

Anonymous said...

Hope the bear recovers, hate to see animals hurt. Have already signed up for Oh How I Miss You.

Yvonne.

Unknown said...

Poor boo-boo. Makes me want to kiss his nose, except I value my face. Somewhat.

Thanks for the heads-up about these various contests and submissions. I'm going to check them out!

Julie Flanders said...

Aww, I hope that bear recovers. I'd love to give him a hug but I know that wouldn't be wise on my part.
I so hate to see animals in pain!

Thanks as always for all the great links.

David P. King said...

That's a few publishers I haven't heard of before. Good to know. Thanks for these links! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for this list.

Unknown said...

Awe, poor big guy! I hate seeing animals suffer. Hope he gets mended and back to his bear ways soon...

Great roundup of links!

Good news? I just published my 4th Moonsongs story! Considering I wasn't sure if I'd make it beyond 2, I'm pretty excited about that. :)

Michelle Wallace said...

Isn't he cute?
Thanks for the links.

Randy said...

Your blog is a must stop for me every Wednesday. Thanks for posting these links. They are great.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Grizzlies are impressive animals.
Thanks for sharing the links. I really wish I had some short stories ready to submit.
On the good side, I have a novel being released on November 1st.

D.G. Hudson said...

Grizzlies are not usually snookie
wookums material. . .

Remember 'grumpy as a bear'? A friend of ours worked at the Stanley Park Zoo.

Andrew Leon said...

Thanks for the plug!

klahanie said...

Hey Shannon,

That's wonderful and yes, I can bear looking at the photo.

Of course, mental health and the unfair stigma attached, is the underlying theme on my blog.

Okay, here we go. Blog hops, blogfests, "Oh How I Wish They Would End, Blogfest!"

The good news is you got a comment from shy and humble me.

Off to go look for a Muse.

Gary :)

Rachel said...

Can I just pet him please? He kind of reminds me of my big dog. I bet he wouldn't even eat me. Probably.

A Beer for the Shower said...

That is the sweetest animal I have ever seen that could just rip me to shreds in 2 seconds flat, injured paw or not. Still... awww.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of the links.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Shannon. Love the photo of the grizzly. How cute!
Thanks for the links to writing opportunities and blogfests. Feel free to plug the WEP blogfest anytime. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. :D

Al Diaz said...

Plenty of cool stuff here, as always. Hi Shannon!! I know you are hyper busy but I would love if you could take a moment and drop by the Cave. I have a very special celebration scheduled and you happen to be in my Guest of Honor list. It would rock my world if we have your presence there on the appointed date.
In the meantime I leave you lots of dragon hugs!

Empty Nest Insider said...

The grizzly bear really is adorable. It's sad that he's in pain.
Thanks for all of the info Shannon!

Julie

shelly said...

Poor big bear.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Shannon Lawrence said...

Alex, I'm sure it did. He acted like I do slipping into a hot bath when my back hurts.

Yolanda, definitely! Such sweet faces, such terrifying ability to rend flesh.

Yvonne, I hope so, too. They were really good at having signs up at exhibits, but there wasn't a sign on what had happened to him, so hopefully it was thought to be a temporary issue.

Julie L., you made me laugh! Indeed, he looks so snuggly, but faces are good things and somewhat necessary.

Julie F., me, too, and I could tell the others standing with me felt the same. We couldn't move on until he got in that tub; he was trying so hard.

David, I love to hear that!

Melanie, glad to provide it!

E.J., that's awesome! And it also means I'm behind on the series. Boooooo.

Michelle, he is! Love that bear face!

Randy, I'm flattered to hear it! I need to stop by to visit and see how you're doing.

Susan, congratulations! Only a couple more days. I bet you're excited, giddy, and nervous. Or I would be.

D.G., haha, that's why I put it there. It amused me. Cool that he worked at the zoo. Did he enjoy it, other than the grumpy bears?

Andrew, always happy to!

Gary, and an excellent theme it is, too. It took my mom until her early fifties to FINALLY be diagnosed with bipolar disorder and PTSD, and that was after decades of her seeking help to figure out what was going on.

Rachel, probably. It might be worth it...

Bryan, ha, that's how they lure you in.

Susanne, you're welcome!

Denise, thanks, I will!

Al, of course! I've been needing to drop in and visit Father Dragon and his dwarves, anyway.

Julie, I am betting he will be okay. They really care at this place.

Shelly, agreed!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Alex, I'm sure it did. He acted like I do slipping into a hot bath when my back hurts.

Yolanda, definitely! Such sweet faces, such terrifying ability to rend flesh.

Yvonne, I hope so, too. They were really good at having signs up at exhibits, but there wasn't a sign on what had happened to him, so hopefully it was thought to be a temporary issue.

Julie L., you made me laugh! Indeed, he looks so snuggly, but faces are good things and somewhat necessary.

Julie F., me, too, and I could tell the others standing with me felt the same. We couldn't move on until he got in that tub; he was trying so hard.

David, I love to hear that!

Melanie, glad to provide it!

E.J., that's awesome! And it also means I'm behind on the series. Boooooo.

Michelle, he is! Love that bear face!

Randy, I'm flattered to hear it! I need to stop by to visit and see how you're doing.

Susan, congratulations! Only a couple more days. I bet you're excited, giddy, and nervous. Or I would be.

D.G., haha, that's why I put it there. It amused me. Cool that he worked at the zoo. Did he enjoy it, other than the grumpy bears?

Andrew, always happy to!

Gary, and an excellent theme it is, too. It took my mom until her early fifties to FINALLY be diagnosed with bipolar disorder and PTSD, and that was after decades of her seeking help to figure out what was going on.

Rachel, probably. It might be worth it...

Bryan, ha, that's how they lure you in.

Susanne, you're welcome!

Denise, thanks, I will!

Al, of course! I've been needing to drop in and visit Father Dragon and his dwarves, anyway.

Julie, I am betting he will be okay. They really care at this place.

Shelly, agreed!