Wednesday, October 5, 2022

IWSG - Horror Commentary & Recent/Upcoming Appearances

It's time for the October Insecure Writer's Support Group!


Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG exists for writers to get and give support about their insecurities and struggles in the writing world. Anyone can join. Simply click on Alex's name and put your blog on the linky list.

The co-hosts this month are: Tonja Drecker, Victoria Marie Lees, Mary Aalgaard, and Sandra Cox.

This month's optional question is: What do you consider the best characteristics of your favorite genre?

Something people often don't realize is how horror addresses societal ills and issues. It's one of the first genres to cover current events, even though it's often doing so through a modified lens. It can be political, social commentary, or an attempt at healing, but it aims to thrill and entertain at the same time.

Keeping it brief today, but I do have a couple podcast appearances I don't think I've posted about today, and I've got some upcoming in-person appearances.

Living the Dream podcast

I was on the Living the Dream podcast in August (scrolled back, but didn't see that I'd shared it), where we talked about the business of writing, goals, and how to achieve them.

You can listen on Spotify and Apple.

Paranormal: The New Normal podcast

I was also interviewed on Paranormal: The New Normal, where we talked about ghosts, cryptids, and X-Files. The episode isn't live as a podcast yet, but you can watch the video of the interview on the Facebook page.

Neither of these are book/writer podcasts, so it was fun to do something new. I also recorded with Bookshelf Odyssey, which is scheduled to come out the week of Halloween, so I'll link to that when it comes out. This one is a writing podcast!

In addition, I'll be in-person at the following events for those who live in Colorado:

HWA: Scary Stories & a Movie

I'll be doing a short reading and selling books at Scary Stories & a Movie. Afterward, there's a viewing of Trick r' Treat. All of this is at The Lyric in Fort Collins October 6, starting at 6:30 PM. The film is $10, and there will be concessions.

PPW: Best of Both Worlds: Writing Horror Comedy

I'll be presenting a half-day (four-hour) workshop on writing comedy, horror, and horror comedy via Pikes Peak Writers on October 15, noon to 4 PM at Ruth Holley Library in the meeting room. Best of Both Worlds: Writing Horror Comedy. Cost is $10 in advance, $20 at the door.


Finally, I'll be at MileHiCon the weekend of October 21 to 23. I've got four panels: Avoiding Cultural Appropriation in Art, Monsters Tell the Truth, Creating Content for Social Media When You're the Product, and True Crime Stories: What is the Appeal? It's a nice mix, and I'm looking forward to it!

I'm curious of my fellow bloggers will be at the 20 Books to 50k conference in Las Vegas next month? Let me know, and maybe we can meet up!

Okay, time for my submission roundup. I do this each month to keep myself accountable.

In September my stats were:

13 submissions

1 acceptance (My story "A Few of His Favorites" will be in the next issue of Indecent Magazine)

10 rejections

19 stories still out on submission

1 invitation to submit to an anthology

What are your insecurities? How are you feeling about writing this month? Are you submitting? Going to MileHiCon or 20 Books to 50k?

May you find your Muse.

12 comments:

Karen Baldwin said...

Ooo, ooo...Writing horror comedy? What fun! I'd love to be there. I love writing humor. And I do love a good scary story, but I live alone and I'm too chicken to watch by myself. .

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, you've been busy! Those panels should be a lot of fun.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - you're really spreading your authorly wings ... they all sound amazing - all the best - cheers Hilary

Cathrina Constantine said...

I like horror comedy. I did 1 podcast and was a nervous wreck. Sounds like you're very busy. Good luck on your submissions!

Jemi Fraser said...

I enjoyed the podcast you did with the entrepreneur focus. I'll check out the other too.
I love that horror takes that hard look at society. I can't read it anymore because of the ensuing sleep issues but it's such a powerful genre

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

You sound productive and busy, Shannon. Horror Comedy, I love the idea because one would not generally think of being scared and humoured at the same time. I'm off to listen to your podcast.

Loni Townsend said...

Holy Cow! Busy woman! I'll have to check out those podcasts. And yeah, I can totally see how horror comments on society. It really does bring things to light.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You are so good at finding those opportunities. I don't have time to look for podcasts and events around - next to nothing!

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

That's a take on horror I'd never thought of. I admit I avoid the genre--it does bad things in my head--but I'm intrigued by the idea that horror may be political commentary.

Congrats on another acceptance :)

Liza said...

Sounds like you are really getting yourself out there. Kudos to you!

Damyanti Biswas said...

Wow, you sound so productive. Good luck with your submissions, Shannon! Great work :D

emaginette said...

I didn't know horror touched on current issues but it doesn't surprise me. I know many genres do. It adds a richness that I expect now-a-days.

Anna from elements of emaginette