Wednesday, January 6, 2021

IWSG - New Year, Same Me!

 It's time for the first Insecure Writer's Support Group meeting of 2021!


Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG exists to provide and receive support. Anyone can join, just click HERE to sign up. We post the first Wednesday of each month. Be sure to jump around and visit other participants, as well as stopping by to say hi to this month's co-hosts: 

Ronel Janse van Vuuren , J Lenni Dorner, Gwen Gardner Sandra Cox, and Louise - Fundy Blue!

Normally, I would have looked back at the post I did last year to see what my goals were, go over what I did and did not achieve, and set this year's goals. But I need more time to ruminate on those, so I may do a goals post next week. As far as last year's goals, I think this is one year that skipping a peep at those is better off forgotten. 

It wasn't a good writing year for me. It wasn't a good much of anything year except that I managed to put out two solo collections of horror short stories and start a podcast with my friend and co-host. Plus, I've finished several college classes since I enrolled October 1. That having been a mid-year switcheroo, priorities had to change out of necessity.

I haven't had this few acceptances from markets since I first started getting published, though a chunk of them were personal rejections, probably more than in the past, which is progress in its own right. 

Still, it's tough to look back on the last year. The last two, really, since things were significantly worse in 2019. I can trace where a lot of my issues stemmed from, so there are legitimate reasons, which really doesn't make it feel much better. I don't want to have just overcome difficulties, I want to have thrived.

The first half of this year is going to continue being about college classes, and then I'll address deeper writing goals when that's finished.

However, I did want to sum up my submission stats for the year. Blergh.

In 2020, these were the stats for my short story submissions:

56 submissions

39 rejections

2 acceptances

6 stories pulled from markets or markets that went under

1 acceptance is still pending release

3 publications came out:















For novels, I queried 3 markets, got asked for a full by 2 of those, received a lovely rejection from 1 of them, with the other still pending.

I put out 2 solo collections: Bruised Souls & Other Torments and Happy Ghoulidays:














And here are my podcast stats:



It could certainly be worse, so I'm looking ahead to a better year where I can end it feeling I did the best I could do. Here's to change, to progress, and maybe, hopefully, to being a bit kinder to myself.

I hope this year bring you only good things. Onward and upward!

What were your submissions stats this year? What goals and achievements did you track? Did you set goals for this year? What are your insecurities?

May you find your Muse.

P.S. I'm planning on studying and taking a final tonight, so visits might be delayed for a day.

20 comments:

Tony Laplume said...

Oh, pretty much rejected by everything.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Considering how crappy last year was, I'd say you did good. I'm sure school eats a lot of your writing time.

Jemi Fraser said...

Looks like a win to me!!
When life is tough and complicated, it's so important to be kind to ourselves - and so hard to do that. Take care of you and good luck with that final!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Looks like you did a lot with your writing, especially since you're also in college. Priorities sometimes have to change when you have other goals you need to pursue. That's okay.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - you're doing lots ... which is admirable considering the year, and the previous one you had. Take care and all the best for the coming one ... Hilary

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I think you did good, Shannon. But 2021 shows promise. I'm cheering for you.

Diane Burton said...

2020 was the first year I didn't release any books since 2011. I couldn't focus. But now I'm back taking tiny steps in writing. I wish you well and hope that2021 is much better.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Considering a lot of writers did next to nothing, I'd say you did quite good in 2020.

Olga Godim said...

You achieved a lot last year, despite the pandemic and all. You're my role model!

Tonja Drecker said...

You got a lot done this last year! I kind of fizzled on the writing front this last year, but that's fine with me. Good luck this year!

Liza said...

If those stats reflect a bad year, I look forward to seeing a good one!

Cathrina Constantine said...

Wow, I'm impressed!

Sounds like you've been busy. Keep it up. And good luck with those pending submissions.

Marie Andreas said...

I think 2020 was a win for you--you did move forward and starting college too! As for my submissions--none. I'm pure indie and going to full time writer in 2021 after taking an early buy out from my day job (SDSU-- so I know what college students go through ;)). I am working on building my writing business, increasing my craft, and getting more books out into the world! Good luck for 2021!

C.D. Gallant-King said...

Sounds like you a pretty productive year! I don't know what your benchmark is, but I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of. :-) You certainly did a LOT more submissions than me, I'm falling way behind, and I expect this year will be even worse (mostly because I didn't write many new short stories this year, either).

Oh and by the way I LOVED your Happy Ghoulidays collection! Top-notch stuff!!!

Andrew Leon said...

I have Bruised Souls on my Kindle, but I haven't had a chance to get to it.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Congratulations! You did great! I hope 2021 turns out be more productive and successful.

Gwen Gardner said...

Hi Shannon, it looks to me like you got a lot done! You make me look bad ;) Good luck with this year's goals!

Sandra Cox said...

Congrats on your requests and acceptances.
Here's hoping for a great writing year.

Anstice Brown said...

I agree that we should just write off last year's goals and give ourselves a pat on the back for getting through it. You have accomplished a lot though-I would be very proud of those submission stats! Congratulations on your new and upcoming publications.

Where can I find your podcast, please?

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

I like your goal of wanting to thrive and not just survive -- I hope that you have an amazing 2021.

Ronel visiting for IWSG day Why You Need Reader Reviews