Wednesday, July 1, 2020

IWSG - Determination

I swear, it was just the first Wednesday of June last week. Gah!

But since it's the first Wednesday of July now (one week later...for real), it's time again for the Insecure Writer's Support Group!


Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG serves to give us insecure writers a place to post about our insecurities and/or to encourage other insecure writers. Anyone can join. Simply click on Alex's name and add your blog to the linky list.

The co-hosts this month are:

This month is all about determination.

I am determined to get more writing done.

I am determined to get more submissions out there.

I am determined to get all pending stories edited.

I am determined to get podcast plans finalized.

I am determined to complete pending research.

I am determined to update all my social media/websites.

I am determined to make some life changes.

I am determined to flip this frown upside down.

I am determined.

***

Submission stats for the month of June:

1 submission
1 acceptance
3 rejections (all with a request to send something else in the future)
6 currently on submission

***

Media I've Enjoyed This Week


A Bad Day for Sunshine, by Darynda Jones


A witty mystery with some well written and intriguing characters. Small town life isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's hard to keep secrets, especially when teenagers are involved. There's mystery, romance, intrigue, and laughs (real, genuine, out loud ones). There's also heartbreak and disjointed memories that make me eager for the October 2020 release of book 2.

Hannibal (Netflix)


I don't know why I didn't watch when it first came on, but I think it was after we'd cancelled cable, but before we had Netflix. I'm watching the first season now. Dark, gritty, and a mental labyrinth. The mood is oddly calm, yet tense. There's so much going on. Hannibal is fascinating and misleading.



You know what's funny? A room full of stand up comedians, locked together and being monitored by Rebel Wilson, while they try to make the others laugh and try not to laugh themselves, so they can be the last comic standing. That's right. They're not allowed to laugh. But they have to make everyone else in the room laugh in they want to win. This one is ongoing, so if you don't want to wait for the next episode, wait until the season's over to start watching it. I'd forgotten how hard it was to wait for the next episode of something!

What media have you been enjoying this week? What are your current goals? What are you determined to do this month? What are your insecurities? Have you submitted this month?

May you find your Muse.

17 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Yay on the acceptance and the requests for more!!! So exciting!
Your determination is always awesome - you're headed for big things!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now you've let the world know so it must happen!

mshatch said...

3 rejections (all with a request to send something else in the future)

Those a good rejections imo! I sent out six queries this past week. Now I wait.

Diane Burton said...

A great list of determinations. Congrats on your acceptance and the requests for "something else." Have a great month.

Chrys Fey said...

Determination is a beautiful thing. I'm rooting for you!

Olga Godim said...

Good luck with all the things you determined to do this month. I'll cheer for you.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm determined to do all I can for my authors. Let's be determined together.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm determined to focus on my writing and treat it with respect.
I'm with you and Diane. Let's all be determined together.

cleemckenzie said...

Great list of things to be determined to accomplish. Today I'm determined to comment on a lot of blogs and re-connect with my writing community.

dolorah said...

I'm listening to audio books. My Kindle stopped working so I travel with my tablet now, which has the audible ap. Big mistake. There is this Merge Dragons game on it that takes up all my free time.

Determination rocks!!

Patsy said...

I wish you well for all the things you're determined to do.

Michelle Wallace said...

Gosh Shannon, I love your determination!
It's inspiring.

Steph W. said...

I'm enjoying the Expanse and determined to finally read the books that inspired it. I picked up the Leviathan Wakes at the library yesterday as well as a copy of The Time Travelers' Almanac. I am determined to finish my short story submission first draft and start editing so I can get back to my novel!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Being determined to do things is a good way to get things done. You may not accomplish everything on your list right away but it will get done. Hope you have a good month reaching your goals.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - being determined helps motivate oneself ... you've done well though with the acceptances and future requests ... good luck as we all continue on. Take care - Hilary

Christine Rains said...

Love seeing all this determination! Good luck. Hope you're safe and well.

DMS said...

I had not heard of Last one Laughing. Sounds like it has the potential to be hilarious!

Good luck with your writing and all the things you are determined to do. :)
~Jess