Wednesday, August 7, 2019

IWSG - Summer's Almost Gone

It's the first Wednesday of August, which means it's time for another edition of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, IWSG exists to be a support to writers.

 Anyone is welcome to join. Simply add your name to the list (click on Alex's name above for access), post the first Wednesday of each month, and visit your fellow IWSG'ers.

The co-hosts this month are:

I still haven't gotten back in the saddle completely after the last couple months of insanity and negativity, but I did manage to get a bunch of short stories edited and submitted, so even though I haven't written a bunch of new words, I'm working. I did also place two short stories last month, so yay for acceptances! Now I need some more. It's been a slow year.

Now if I can just get the creative energy to power up, things will look up. I sent out some news in my newsletter about a publishing schedule for two projects, but they get the info first! (You can always sign up over to the right...hint, hint)

My husband and I are going away soon for our anniversary. A couple days in Steamboat Springs will hopefully give me a bit of a recharge. I'm not taking my laptop with me, as the plan is to relax, plain and simple. (Though I am taking paper and writing implements. What do you take me for? A monster??)

Submission stats for July:

6 submissions
4 rejections
2 acceptances (1 was an invite)

I won't be able to visit people until this weekend.

What are your insecurities? How are you coping with them? Any submissions last month? Acceptances? Rejections? 

May you find your Muse.

34 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Congrats on the acceptances! Hope your time away leaves you both rested and recharged. :)

Jan Morrison said...

Good to keep your oar in and submitting is writing in my books. I submitted a query last month but I'm being very slow to get back on the writing horse. Not sure what I'm getting ready for - but something!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just go and enjoy your anniversary!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - exactly I'd endorse Alex's comment - just go .. .you'll be ready and renewed on your return ... congratulations and have fun - cheers Hilary

Karen Baldwin said...

Two acceptances? Congratulations! And I don't blame you for leaving your laptop home. Have a fun and rejuvenating vacation.

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful anniversary. Congrats on the 2 acceptances.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Submissions I'm reading! LOL After the past few weeks, I could use some time away.

Andrew Leon said...

We just got back from going away for our anniversary.
I've been posting about it...

cleemckenzie said...

Going Laptop-less, heh? Good for you. Enjoy your time. Come back refreshed.

Loni Townsend said...

Woot on the acceptances! That's great!

I think not taking my laptop would only add to my stress if I went on vacation. :)

lostinimaginaryworlds.blogspot.com said...

Enjoy your time away together, I'm sure it will help the 'muse' when you return, Shannon 🌹

dolorah said...

Perhaps getting away will help get those creative juices flowing. Seems like you are busy even when you think you are not.

Diane Burton said...

Congrats on your acceptances. Enjoy your vacation. We all need to get away and recharge.

Juneta key said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary. Hope you recharge and have lots of fun.

Olga Godim said...

Congrats on you acceptances. Have fun at your get away.

Liza said...

Two acceptances sounds pretty darn good to me. Enjoy your vacation!

Shannon Lawrence said...

It did, thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I hope you figure it out soon, and can climb back on that horse.

Shannon Lawrence said...

We had a great time!

Shannon Lawrence said...

It was a wonderful break!

Shannon Lawrence said...

It was well worth leaving it home!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I bet you could!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!

F. Stone said...

Sounds like you are doing great from my point of view. Blessings

Shannon Lawrence said...

It definitely ended up being a good idea.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I ended up getting contacted by work, and was able to say, "Can't do anything about it until I get home!" So it ended up being a good thing. ;)

Shannon Lawrence said...

I actually started a new story on paper while there, which felt wonderful!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I think at this point I'm permanently busy, but if I'm not doing what I want to be doing, it feels like I'm not getting anything done.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Definitely!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you!

Computer Tutor said...

That is a lot of activity. I write novels so that's about one submittal a year, on a good year. Have fun on your getaway! I've never been to Steamboat Springs.

Roland Clarke said...

As you say, "yay for acceptances." And your submission count. I'm so insecure that I write a few shorts over the year, plus novel drafts, but at most I just submit to the IWSG Anthology.

Tamara Narayan said...

I haven't been writing this summer, just venting my frustrations on the weeds and sneaky trees that invade the yard in full force. Sept. 5 is the first day of school and hopefully the first day I jump back into my latest novel.