Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Year in Review: Year 4

Yay! This is the fourth year for my year in review post. I always enjoy looking back at the year to be reminded of everything that happened. It's easy to forget that so much has happened in such a short time.

Last February, I had women in horror take over my blog with guest posts about, you guessed it, horror!

J.H. Moncrieff posted about Truly Horrible Women (real life female killers).

Ashley Dioses wrote about Dark Enchantments (horror poetry).

DeAnna Knippling wrote about Zenna Henderson & Quiet Horror.



In March, I did a brief set of grammar lessons on words that frequently get mixed up.

Alright, All Right, Alrite

Are You Already All Ready?

See You Later, Alligator; After Awhile/A While, Crocodile


A friend of mine, Jason Dias, who also happens to be an existential psychologist and author, did a guest post on Existentialism and Horror.

Another friend, Jessica McDonals, did a guest post entitled Swirl: How Being Mixed Race Informs my Writing.


Then onto random topics:

Author Platform: Accessibility on Social Media

In Keeping it Real, I posted my full submission stats up to that point to show that it's not all peaches and sunshine to be an author, despite how it often looks on social media.

I broke down a Self-Publishing Business Checklist for those venturing in on their maiden voyage.

While dealing with it myself, I wrote a post about Depression in Writers and some possible coping mechanisms.

And a post about Bookstores Bouncing Back.


Now it's time for links! Bear in mind I'm not endorsing these, merely passing them along. Always do your own due diligence before submitting.

Accepting Submissions:

Ninth Letter is seeking poetry and prose. Up to 8000 words. Pays $25 per printed page. Deadline February 28.

Split Lip Magazine is seeking flash fiction, short fiction, memoir, poetry, photography, and art. Pays $50 for digital and $5/page for print. Deadline February 28.

Darkhouse Books is seeking poetry and fiction for What We Talk About When We Talk About It: Variations on the Theme of Love. They prefer literary. Up to 5000 words. Deadline February 28.

Death's Head Press is seeking horror erotica for Rope Burns. 3000 to 8000 words. Pays $10. Deadline February 28. (Must scan down through other submissions to get to this one.)

Do you ever look back on your year? Did you miss any of these when they were first posted? Are any of these submission links of interest? Anything to share?

May you find your Muse.


*Edgar Allan Poe: By Unknown; most likely George C. Gilchrest, Samuel P. Howes, James M. Pearson, or Andrew J. Simpson, all of Lowell, MA - http://www.daguerre.org/images/2008sympos/consignor4a-medium.jpg and http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/artObjectDetails?artobj=39406, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=31269051




3 comments:

mshatch said...

I did miss a couple of these and went back to read them. As for news, my puppy is getting bigger, I'm at 25k with my current wip, and it's cold as you know what here :)

Liza said...

I'm going to go back and click on a few of these posts. I do remember a few. You offer such help and wisdom to other bloggers. Thank you.

Priscilla Bettis said...

Four years! Congrats.:-)