Wednesday, September 6, 2017

IWSG - Juggling

Today is the first Wednesday of September. Fall's on the way!

First Wednesday of the month means it's time to air our insecurities with the Insecure Writer's Support Group, created by Alex J. Cavanaugh.


Our co-hosts today are Tyrean Martinson, Tara Tyler, Raimey Gallant, and Beverly Stowe McClure!

My insecurity today concerns juggling ALL THE THINGS! Life in general, sure, but I'm talking about the writing things. Writing and editing novels; writing and editing short stories; submitting short stories, which means tweaking formatting and such for each market; querying novels; looking into self-pubbing a collection of short stories; looking into all the business things that come with self-pubbing; putting off research into creating an LLC for that purpose; putting together workshops and researching panels for speaking gigs; judging a writing contest; so on and so forth. Some of these things are easier than others because they're something I'm comfortable with, but others are hard. Still others aren't hard, but are definitely time consuming, and if they have a deadline then that's where I have to focus, which means other things fall by the wayside.

I have a period of "calm" coming up starting in November. Then again, I guess that depends on whether I do any form of ShaNo (I don't do NaNo, as such, but I set writing related goals that month and use the communal energy from NaNo to pursue them). Anyway, it may be that the period of calm doesn't start until December, but ack, what's calm about December. January? Okay, cool, January. I can make it until then, right?

Also, I have a book signing coming up this Friday, plus my books will be in the bookstore during the Colorado Gold Conference I'm speaking at, but my Create Space order is LATE, and I may be starting to freak out. I ordered it in plenty of time, so I have no idea what the delay is, but COME ON! Luckily, I do have inventory, just not the full inventory I submitted. Tracking says it arrives today, but so far, no dice, er, books.

Okay, my stats for the month of August are as follows:

Submitted: 9 short stories
Accepted: 2 short stories, plus request for additional
Rejected: 6 short stories
Queried: 1 novel/agent
Currently on Submission: 16 short stories, 1 novel

I'm not up to my goal of 20 short stories on submission at a time, but I'm getting closer (plus, without the acceptances, I would have been up to 18!)

Since I'm posting this late, I'm not going to have time to do links to open submissions, but I should have some up next week. I'll have a post then answering questions about short stories I've been asked in blog comments in the past.

What are your insecurities? How do you manage your time? What do your submission stats look like for the month of August? Are you attending the Colorado Gold Conference? (If so, stop by and say hi at the book signing!)

May you find your Muse.

14 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I'm exhausted just reading this post! But I totally understand it because I feel similarly. Hoping to get things more under control during my blogging break next week. Fingers crossed!

Congrats on the acceptances! Good luck on the submissions!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No freaking out! Although your list of stuff makes me tired just reading it.

Andrew Leon said...

It's more than I have time for.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Your first paragraph description is pretty accurate. Yeah, I'm having a hard time keeping track of all my spreadsheets and charts let alone the actual work. LOL You seem to be doing amazingly, though. :)

Chrys Fey said...

It is tough to juggle life and writing and everything in-between. I am struggling right now with all of the problems that are cropping up for me.

I hope your books came in!

Anonymous said...

Okay, kid. Take a deep breath and...well, don't just hold it! Let it out!

And did you say gold? As in yellow rocks? And you'll have a book signing?

Hmm, maybe you'd like to sign up for an I.B. Nosey interview. May I recommend Alex J. Cavanaugh as a source to see whether I'm legitimate...that's in as experienced reporter, ya know.

Congrats on your busy writing life!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Happy Book Signing! I understand the stress of juggling. I create lists within lists and try to think of what each day can possibly hold. Then, each hour.

Olga Godim said...

You're a busy bee, Shannon. Happy juggling. It's a good state to be in. Much worse would be if there was nothing to do.

Raimey Gallant said...

Oh my goodness! Your plate is so full!

dolorah said...

I miss too many story deadlines. I need to kick myself in the butt, stop wasting my evenings on puzzles and games, and get some writing done!!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - gosh you've got lots going on ... good luck with the book signing and the speaking event ... and so many stories submitted ... well done - take care and good luck - Hilary

diedre Knight said...

You've certainly earned a respite, however brief it might be. I don't know how you do it, but it's an inspiration to observe your many accomplishments. I think of you every time I submit anything these days ;-) Last month I finished two, submitted one (accepted!) and have three WIPs coming right along. It's interesting how empowering it is just to share the journey.
Best wishes and enjoy September!

klahanie said...

Hi human, Shannon,

You have a pawesome amount of writing stuff going on. I hope you don't put too much pressure on your fine human self.

All the best with your writing endeavours. Finding that happy balance can be tough. Well done on the acceptance stuff. Something to focus on.

Pawsitive wishes,

Penny 🐶

Donna B. McNicol said...

Juggling seems to get harder and harder the older I get. Sigh...