Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Whoops & Links

I realized about two days after the fact that I forgot to post for IWSG last week. Whoops! February snuck up on me. I can't make that post up, but skipping it also meant skipping my January stats, which I should still report.



My January stats are underwhelming, as I'm working on building back up the number of short stories I have to submit. Plus, I spent my short story writing time working on what has turned out to be a novella instead.

In January:

I submitted 4 pieces.
I got 4 rejections (not on those same pieces)
I've got 6 submissions pending.

Time to get those numbers back up!

Link time!

Bear in mind I'm not endorsing these, merely passing them along. Always do your own due diligence before submitting anywhere.

Accepting Submissions:

Transmundane Press has extended their deadline on After the Happily Ever After, an anthology of fairy tales after the end. 100-7500 words. Pay will be between $5 and $20, plus contributor copies. Deadline February 20.

Freak Tension is accepting submissions for Hybrid Moments: A Literary Tribute to the Misfits. Write a story inspired by a Danzig-era Misfits song. Up to 5000 words. Pays $.01/word. Deadline March 1.

Contrary is reading for their April issue. Poetry and fiction. Up to 1500 words. Pays $20. Deadline March 1.

Comet Press is seeking stories for Stiff Things, an erotic horror anthology. Make it dark and twisted. Up to 9000 words. Pays $.03/word. Deadline March 1.

New English Press is seeking stories for This Book Ain't Nuthing Ta Fuck Wit: A Wu-Tang Tribute Anthology. 2000-3000 words. Pays $20, plus contributor copy. Deadline March 1.

Slice Magazine is seeking short fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. Up to 5000 words. Pays $75 for poems and $250 for stories. The theme for the upcoming issue is Distraction. Deadline March 1.

Horrified Press is seeking flash fiction and short stories for Detectives of the Fantastic Volume IV: Tales of Ghost Hunters and Paranormal Investigations. 2000-5000 words. Pays in royalties. Deadline March 13.

FunDead Publications is seeking spooky ghost stories for the anthology Shadows in Salem. 1000-6000 words. Pays $10, plus contributor copy. Deadline March 15.

Freeze Frame Fiction is seeking flash fiction, all genres. Up to 1000 words. Pays $10. Deadline for this issue is March 15.

Third Flatiron is seeking space opera and military fiction for Hyperpowers, an anthology. 1500-3000 words. Pays $.03/word. Deadline March 15.

How are your submissions going? Has this year snuck up on you, too? Any of these links of interest? Anything to share? 

May you find your Muse.

Image by OCAL at clker.com.

17 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - I think January is always a difficult for anyone ... but I'm sure these links are very useful .. and good luck with getting your stories added to - cheers Hilary

Yolanda Renée said...

This winter is passing faster than any winter in memory, not sure if that's good or bad? Busy is good, right!
Thanks for the links!

Crystal Collier said...

I'm actually not in a submissions stage. With 3 publication dates for 2016, I'm scrambling to get promotional material together and keep on track with deadlines. I sometimes wish readers could see how much work goes into a book AFTER the book is all set for publication.

Annalisa Crawford said...

6 pieces on submission isn't bad. I've got about 3 out at the moment. I planned to write more short stories, but got side tracked with a "novel(la)" - which is a story half way between novella and novel length ;-)

Good luck :-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No worries! For March, you'll have the IWSG newsletter to remind you.

Unknown said...

I think January ended up being a recuperating month for a lot of us.

Four submissions though. That's not bad at all :-)

klahanie said...

Hi Shannon,

Think of it as a January lull. Actually, you're doing fine. Besides, you have mentioned IWSG aka "I Was Seeking Gary."

Thanks for the links, methinks.

Gary :)

Pat Garcia said...

I'm glad you posted even though late. I started submitting in January and you know what it's a lot of work, but I'm going to stay with. Your posting about your submissions gave me the motivation that I needed to start at it again. Thanks.

All the best.
Shalom,
Patricia

Michelle Wallace said...

I actually had an excellent January...which is a first.
Good luck with the short-story-that-has-turned-into-a-novella!

Shannon Lawrence said...

December and January are hard months to get things done, aren't they?

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm also mixed on whether it's good or bad, but boy is it flying.

Shannon Lawrence said...

That's crazy, but awesome!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm seriously considering turning this novella into a novel, which actually froze me up for awhile. I'd like to get up to 20 things on submission at a given time.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I figure as long as I have 1, I'm still working.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I can never go wrong by mentioning I Was Seeking Gary.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm so glad to hear this! Keep going.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I finally finished it, right around where I figured it would end (once I realized it was neither a short story nor a novelette.) Glad to hear January treated you well!