Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A View From the Reeds & Links

Happy Wednesday!

I feel like this is a good photo prompt. What do you think?


For the links, bear in mind that I am not endorsing these, merely passing them along. You should always do your own due diligence before submitting.

Accepting Submissions:

Broken River Review is accepting submissions. 3000 words or under. Pays $.05/word. Deadline December 1.

Crime Syndicate is open for submissions. Dark, dirty crime fiction stories. 1500-4500 words. Pays $25.

Poetry and Business is open for submissions. Essays and poetry. Due by the end of 2015. Pays $20.16.

The Strand Magazine is open for submissions. Mystery and horror. 2000-6000 words. Pays $25-$150.

Contests:

The Quantum Shorts Flash Fiction Competition is closing soon. Cash prizes. Deadline December 1.

Words & Brushes is holding a competition. 2000-5000 words. Fiction. Cash prizes. Deadline December 1.

Of Interest:

My Book Cave posted about Standard Vs Block Formatting in Ebooks. Passed along by DeAnna Knippling.

Liesa Malik posted 5 Tips for Using Your Business Card on the RMFW blog.

Do you see a story in the photo above? Do you have author business cards? What information do you include on them? What do you use them for? Any of these publications of interest? Anything to share? Publication news?

May you find your Muse.

27 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I do have have business cards. I have my blog links on there, my log line and links to my publisher, I hand them out at book signings and to other writers.

Crystal Collier said...

There's definitely a story in that image, or fifty. =) I have business cards, but I don't really do anything with them. Guess that's because I haven't gotten out the door much since we first learned the baby was on her way 1.5 years ago. Time to get out again, eh?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Is that a Ferris wheel in the background? Very cool!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I love B&W shots. That is gorgeous.

Shannon Lawrence said...

You've got some great things on there. Mine has my blog address, but not yet a log line or links to a publisher.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Haha, yes! Time to get out. I have business cards, but haven't actually given them out in ages. I stopped carrying them.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Yes! It's a view of Elitch's (which used to be a 6 Flags) from a nearby aquarium. There's a river between them.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I have become addicted to black and white shots, I have to say.

H. R. Sinclair said...

I see a good old-fashioned horror story in that photo! ...something stalks the fairgrounds...

I do not have author business cards. If I had them, I supposed I have my name, genre, email, and website. And if I had them, they would currently be used for those "drop in a business card" bowls at restaurant to try and win a free meal! :)

Christine Rains said...

Awesome picture! And thanks for the links. One I recently discovered is a mini contest from On the Premises. 50 words or less. I entered last month and didn't win.

Nick Wilford said...

That's a good photo. I feel like it's from the POV of someone hiding in the reeds. Or something. Thanks for the links. If I had business cards, I would probably be too shy to hand them out!

Pat Hatt said...

Much could be said about the photo as someone could be hiding there.

Sherry Ellis said...

Looks like a marsh. I bet there's a monster hiding in there.

DMS said...

I do see a story in the picture. Someone is hiding in there for sure!

I do have an author business card. I have my name, website, and book title on it. I pass it out when people ask me about my writing.
~Jess

Traci Kenworth said...

As always, thank you for providing the links!!

A Beer for the Shower said...

We do indeed have business cards. Then again, the card itself is a cartoon, and it points straight toward the blog. We hand them out to people when they ask what we do, because saying you draw cartoons and write books only sounds childish until you hand them a business card. Then it's professional.

John Wiswell said...

For people looking to publish weird SF&F, Liminal is about to open to subs on December 1st. It's a new magazine that's going to pay SFWA-qualifying pro-rates for short stories. http://liminalstoriesmag.com/submissions/

Shannon Lawrence said...

Yes!

And I've used the cards for that, too. haha.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Sounds like a fun exercise, win or no.

Shannon Lawrence said...

That's what it looks like, doesn't it? They were super tall reeds!

Shannon Lawrence said...

It's like the beginning of a creepy TV show.

Shannon Lawrence said...

The distillery is hidden behind the aquarium. Ack! That's a movie right there.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I sure hope so!

Shannon Lawrence said...

That's good. I used to hand mine out. Just need to remember to keep them on me again.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm glad to!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Ah, valid point. "What do you do?" "I create monsters." "Wha-" "Here's my card." "Oh, I see."

Professional!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Awesome, thanks!