Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Squirrel! & Links

Okay, it's not a squirrel. It's not even a ground squirrel. But I like yelling "squirrel!" Because I'm easily distracted.

My husband surprised me with a new camera before I headed up to Estes Park for a writing weekend with a friend. Believe it or not, we actually got a whole lot of writing done, so we didn't venture out to take photos much. However, during a break in writing one afternoon, I wandered around the cabin we were staying in and took some photos of the chipmunks (that were, surprisingly, the only real wildlife we saw). I also took some closeups of plants and flowers that I might share next week. We'll see.

Without further ado, meet Chuckie, the Chipmunk.



We did actually see regular gray squirrels, but no bears, moose, or elk. Someday I'll get a photo of a moose. I've got plenty of elk! This is actually the first time I've been to Estes with no sign of an elk.

I got a lot accomplished on Wendigo Nights, but I've got a long road ahead. I cut about 3000 words, then added 6000 more. Not too shabby, except for the fact that I went there knowing I needed to add about 16,000 words. My urban fantasy is currently sitting at about 52,000 words, post-weekend. Not enough. Sigh.

Accepting Submissions:

Contrary Magazine is seeking original commentary, fiction, and poetry for their next issue. Pays $20. Deadline September 1.

Emby Press is looking for scary atmospheric horror for The Monster Waiting in the Woods. 2000-8000 words. Pays $25 and an e-copy. Deadline September 1.

The Anthology of Quitters is looking for novels that never found fruition. If you started a novel, but trunked it, they might just be interested. This anthology will publish 2000-5000 words of your trunked novel. Pays $25. Deadline is given as Early September.

Sirens Call Publications is seeking short stories for Witches, Warlocks, Demons, & Evil-Doers, an anthology. 4000-8000 words. Pays $25. Deadline September 1.

Briarpatch Magazine wants writing on current issues. Profiles, essays, reviews, parting shots, feature stories, photo essays, investigative reports and articles. Pays from $50 to $150, depending upon submission type. Deadline September 4.

Cracked Eye is open for submissions of short stories. 500-6500 words. Pays professional rates.

Unsung Stories is seeking speculative fiction short stories (and novels). Up to 3000 words. Pays £25 .

Maniacal is looking for short fiction. They like weird and funny. Up to 3000 words. Pays $2, plus e-copy.

The Fiction Desk is seeking short fiction. 2000-20,000 words. Pays £15 per thousand words.

Filling Station is accepting fiction, poetry, nonfiction, creative nonfiction, and art. Paying market.

Any of these of interest to you? Anything to share? Publication news? Do you have any chipmunks or ground squirrels? Do you know what the difference between a ground squirrel and a chipmunk is? I do now! But I didn't before I looked it up (ground squirrels don't have stripes on their faces.)

May you find your Muse.


17 comments:

Yolanda Renée said...

Love little Chuckie! Sounds like writing too me, cut, write, cut some more and write some more. It's the process!
Thanks again for the links!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just keep writing.
Was Chuckie a beggar?

Andrew Leon said...

chipmunks!
I've only ever seen chipmunks in the wild once. They are super cute.

Nick Wilford said...

Great progress! Just keep going. Thanks for the links as always.

Susan Kane said...

I think chipmunks live in trees, and ground squirrels live in burrows?
Every time I read your sites accepting submissions, I say to myself "I can do that!" but don't. Sigh.

A Beer for the Shower said...

52,000 may not be enough, but it's still a lot! That's at the point that you can stand back and say, "I definitely have a novel." You can't quite say the same about 3 chapters.

The only chipmunks I ever see are so domesticated by way of people feeding them that they tend to follow you around like a dog, begging for food. It's every bit as cute as it is annoying.

klahanie said...

Hey Shannon!

Nothing like a chipmunk. Although, thanks to you, I now hear a voice in my head that sounds like Alvin!

52,000 words is a lot to count. I think that's plenty of words!

I should check out that "Maniacal" link. I wonder why.....

I have a hedgehog and a famous dog.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Shannon.

Gary

Traci Kenworth said...

Some good links here, Shannon. Thanks for them!!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Definitely the process! I'm just feeling nervous about that word count, but I'll get there. I want to be ready to query by April at the latest.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I will! Chuckie wasn't a beggar, surprisingly. He was quite engaged at one point in pulling a cotton ball out of the pine tree (he never got it). He completely ignored us, both when I was out taking photos, and when the chipmunks were on the tree outside the window where we were working. We weren't interesting to them at all!

Shannon Lawrence said...

They're definitely cute, and they're all over Estes Park.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you! Going, going.

Shannon Lawrence said...

That could be, Susan. These guys were all over the place. Do it, do it!!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I like the way you think. Yes, I've got a novel!

These guys weren't interested in us at all, so maybe the folks around there are better about not feeding them?

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm a bit sad they didn't sing to me in squeaky little voices! I didn't know you had a hedgehog.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thanks! I hope there's something useful in there for you.

Anonymous said...

Aww, chipmunks are so cute. There's not a lot where I live, but omg, there are a ton of squirrels and they like to climb up to our window and make the weirdest noises while I'm trying to write.