Wednesday, June 24, 2015

What do You See? & Links

Since I'm missing my hikes right now, I figured I'd post more pictures from my previous hike in Ute Valley Park.

It's impossible to get lost when you can always find Pikes Peak from the high points.


Now, what do you see in these rocks? Prairie dogs?


How about in this one? Do you see the smiley face?


Accepting Submissions:

Ideomancer seeks speculative fiction and poetry that are unique and non-traditional. Up to 7000 words. Pays $.03/word for fiction, $6 per poem. Submissions close July 31.

New Myths is looking for speculative fiction (but no graphic horror). Up to 10,000 words. Also take non-fiction dealing with fantasy/sci-fi and writing, and poetry. Pays between $20 to $50, depending upon story type. Deadline July 31.

Red Moon Romance is seeking submissions of short cowboy romance (American west or Australian outback) for an anthology. 3000-20,000 words. Can be mixed with other genres, such as paranormal, steampunk, sci-fi, etc. Pays in profit share and paperback copy. Deadline July 31.

WolfSinger Publications is seeking speculative fiction stories about trolls, gargoyles and other bit part fantasy creatures for an anthology entitled "Misunderstood." 1000-6000 words. Pays $5, plus royalties. Deadline August 1.

Dreamspinner Press is seeking short romance stories concerning end of year holidays (Christmas, boxing day, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, etc.) Must have a happy ending. 5000-18,000 words. Pay isn't specified, but it's for an anthology, so likely royalties. Deadline August 1.

Helen Literary is open for submissions of short fiction with the theme "Animal." 500-5000 words for fiction. Lengths vary for poetry, non-fiction. Also take artwork. Pay is between $2 and $10, plus a subscription to the journal. Deadline August 1.

Contests:

The First Line is holding their quarterly contest. Use the first line provided (currently "The old neighborhood was nearly unrecognizable.") to write a story of between 300-5000 words. No entry fee. Winners are not ranked--they are published. Pays $25-50 for fiction. Pay varies for poetry and non-fiction. Deadline August 1.

Blog Stuff:

The Cover Girls started a new blog hop in May. Fast Five Friday is all about lists. Each Friday there is a new topic; you write down a list of five things in response to it. You do not have to participate every week--just pick and choose the topics that interest you.

Of Interest:

The Clarion 2015 Write-A-Thon is going on now through August 1. You can support other writers or be a participant. Participants ask folks to sponsor them in a write-a-thon.

Plasma Frequency Magazine is closing its doors after bank fraud wiped them out. There is little hope of them getting their money back. Hopefully they can do a Kickstarter or something, but I haven't seen that mentioned.

What do you see in the rocks? Do you play this game when you go for a walk or hike? Any of these links of interest to you? Experience with any of these publications? Anything to share? Publishing news?

May you find your Muse.

21 comments:

Chrys Fey said...

I didn't see the prairie dogs, but I did see the face. :)

Anonymous said...

I saw the prairie dog and smilie face :) I like taking pictures of interesting rocks and trees on hikes.
That's a bummer about Plasma Frequency! I was thinking about submitting to them, hadn't heard about this. :(

Andrew Leon said...

I see something else in the prairie dog one, but I can't say that out loud.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not commenting on Andrew's comment...

M Pax said...

The first one, I see a zombie or other creature coming to get me with its arms sticking out. The second, looks like a really jolly dude stuck in the dirt.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I did see the smiley face and I had no impure thoughts like Andrew and Alex above.

Liz Blocker said...

OMG yes! I totally saw both prairie dog and face. Not seeing the x-rated versions, alas ;)

klahanie said...

Hey Shannon,

I certainly do see the smiley face :) ROCK on, Shannon.

Gary :)

Julie Flanders said...

I'm also not seeing the x-rated versions but these comments crack me up.

shelly said...

Yes. I see prairie dogs and smiley faces. They're everywhere.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I like that face. By the time I reach that point in my hike, I'm exhausted. A friendly smile goes a long way.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I had a submission out to them when this happened. I'm sad that an entire respected magazine has to tank because of some jerk thief.

Shannon Lawrence said...

You know, it's all in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Shannon Lawrence said...

Hahaha. Does that mean you see something naughty, too?

Shannon Lawrence said...

Oh, a zombie! I can get behind that.

Shannon Lawrence said...

No impure thoughts, hahaha! That's good.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I guess we need to keep looking. :p

Shannon Lawrence said...

He's a happy little rock dude.

Shannon Lawrence said...

This was a fun comment stream.

Shannon Lawrence said...

But are they in the rocks? ;)

T.F. Walsh said...

Those rocks are so cool... I think I could a few things... depending on how hard I looked at them:) hehe