Monday, April 6, 2015

New Release: Under the Bed Magazine

This past Saturday was the release date for the issue of Under the Bed Magazine featuring my story, Know Thy Neighbor! This is officially the first magazine I've had a short story published in (though not my first acceptance into a magazine), so I'm incredibly excited! 


A simple jog ends in a night of terror for suburban mom, Rebecca. Her tormenter is the last person she'd expect, or so she thinks. Another surprise awaits her, this one more horrifying than the first. Do you know thy neighbor? 

I thought up this story while out on a late night walk. As I peered around at the darkened houses, avoiding the deeper shadows, I wondered who lived behind each of those doorways. Who might be staring at me from the night-blackened windows? We all now have the capability to look up registered sex offenders in the area, but what of those who haven't been caught? Times have changed, and we no longer know our neighbors the way we once did. Then again, did we ever really know them?

Needless, to say, the rest of my walk was spoiled by these thoughts, putting me on edge. When I got home, I sat down and immediately wrote this story while the trepidation was fresh in my mind. John Wayne Gacy was well liked, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one.

I'll never look at my neighbors the same way again.


Under the Bed Magazine
Published by Fiction Magazines
Volume 3, Number 7

Genre: Horror
Warning: Mature, graphic content

My Story: Know Thy Neighbor


Available in e-magazine at:

(in multiple formats)



Various and sundry retailers of e-periodicals

Price: $3.99

A cool thing about this magazine is that it's peer chosen. The stories with the most votes from the team of curators are accepted by the magazine. It kind of makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know how this was chosen. Or would that be cold and scaly?

What do you think of the cover? Creepy enough? Do you sleep with your feet securely snuggled under the blankets, or do you hang them off the side? 

May you find your Muse.

21 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Shannon, congratulations!! That is awesome. Yes, the cover is wicked creepy.

A Beer for the Shower said...

As someone who loves to jog at night, I'm both thrilled and terrified to read this story. :) Congrats! Really though, can't wait to give it a read.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Very creepy cover and I'm a feet beneath the blankets person. Congrats on the story.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Congratulations, Shannon! Love the cover - so creepy! And I've had many a nice moment ruined by my wild imagination. Oh well. :)

Andrew Leon said...

Awesome job!
Was it a paying gig?

Nick Wilford said...

Congrats! The cover is delightfully creepy, and the story sounds it too.

Michelle Wallace said...

Awesome news, Shannon!
I love the fact that story submission operates on a peer-chosen system. Really cool!
Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Congrats, Shannon! So cool to see your words out in the wild. :-)

Anonymous said...

The cover looks horrifying, so I HAVE to read it.

Christine Rains said...

Congratulations! The cover is creepy, and I do like how the stories are peer chosen too.

Julie Flanders said...

Yay!! That's so exciting. Congratulations!!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Yes, I really like walking at night. Kids are in bed. I don't have to talk to anyone. It's nice and cool. And it's good for the occasional jumpy moment or story idea.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I have to have a foot out to moderate my temperature unless it's super cold in my room.

Shannon Lawrence said...

It's kind of a love/hate relationship with my imagination.

Shannon Lawrence said...

It was! And thanks!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I've only seen a couple magazines doing this, but it's an interesting way to do it.

Shannon Lawrence said...

They have some great covers!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thanks!

Spanj said...

Congratulations! That cover is absolutely terrifying.