Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hike Your Way to Christmas Spirit & Links

My minions and I have been hiking almost daily for the past two weeks. There's a park with hiking and rock climbing within walking distance of my house, which helps quite a bit. As soon as they're done with homework, we're off, trying to beat dusk. On our first day hiking, we discovered this little tree, all decorated for Christmas. Today, we found the number of ornaments almost doubled. We'll be taking our own up there to add tomorrow. Here's the tree when we first came across it.


Isn't it cute? It's like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree, only this one's got roots.

Now for some links.

Accepting Submissions:

Untreed Reads wants your submissions for Haystacks and Homicide: Short Tales of Farmland Crime. 1500-5000 words. Deadline December 31. Pays in royalties.

Grey Matter Press is seeking submissions for a new anthology, Monsters (working title.) 3000-7500 words. Deadline January 30. Pays $.05/word. 

Dark Regions Press has a call for submissions for Dreams From the Witch House, an anthology. Open call ends January 31. 2000-10,000 words. Lovecraftian fiction by women. Pays $.05/word. 

Great Old Ones Publishing is seeking cryptid stories for From the Corner of Your Eye, an anthology. 3000-8000 words. Deadline January 31. Pays $25 + a contributor copy.

Chicken Soup for the Soul has several topics closing soon. Inspiration for Nurses closes January 15. Stories About the Christmas Season closes January 31. Time to Thrive and Support for Mental Health Professionals close December 31. 1200 words or less. Pays $200.

Pantheon Magazine is seeking fantasy, dark fantasy, and magical realism for Gaia: Shadow and Breath. Deadline January 31. Pay not specified.

Amoeba Ink is seeking stories for The Tomato Anthology. Tomatoes must play a role. 7500 words or less. Pays $10-20, depending upon length.  

Lazy Fascist Review seeks stories that slip through the cracks. 500-12,000 words. Pays $50 per story, $10 per poem. Open submissions.

International Living is seeking expats who want to write their story. 500-600 words.

Every Day Fiction wants flash fiction up to 1000 words. All fiction genres. Pays $3 per story.

Have you seen any fun Christmasy things that brought the spirit of the holiday back for you? Any of these publications something you might try for? (I'm considering four of them.) Anything to share? Publishing news?

May you find your Muse.













27 comments:

Andrew Leon said...

We would never do anything like that because homework never ends in our house.

Chrys Fey said...

Hiking sounds like fun! I love the Christmas tree you found. I want to put a little ornament on it. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

What an adorable tree. I wish we had some good hiking trails near our house.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's cool someone has been decorating that poor Charlie Brown tree.

klahanie said...

Hey Shannon,

Ah yes, Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. What a fun hike you all had.

Untreed reads, how appropriate.

My spirit of Boxing Day Eve has seen be staring alone at a tree. Loving it!

Happy Musing, Shannon.

Gary

Shannon Lawrence said...

It feels like that sometimes for us, and they're just in elementary. I don't look forward to middle school and high school homework.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I love going hiking! I get a lot of thinking done while walking and hiking. Next year I should call for ornaments and everyone can put theirs up. :p

Shannon Lawrence said...

We're lucky on that count. I'm happy just walking around the neighborhood if it gets me outside and moving, but I do like being able to disappear from the real world sometimes.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I love it! I was afraid someone would steal the ornaments or do something nasty, but it's been up a couple weeks and they've only added to it. Good people around here.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Will you get to spend time with your son at all? I'm not usually one for much Christmas spirit, but this simple little thing did make me happy.

Shell Flower said...

It's so important to get out this time of year, even though the darkness closes in so much earlier. Good for you for hiking a lot and that tree is awesome. A lot of trees get "knit-bombed" around here this time of year. It's pretty cute. Have an awesome holiday!

Pat Hatt said...

haha that is the perfect charlie brown tree. Seems many think so to

Emily R. King said...

That is a sweet little tree! Thanks for providing the links!

Kimberly said...

Oh I love that someone decorated the tree and you and others are adding to it. That is so cool. Thank you for the links! Now that I'm officially down to part time - I'm so going to submit to one of those one day. :)

Arlee Bird said...

A good hike is something I need. The decorations would be added fun.

Lee
Tossing It Out

klahanie said...

Hi Shannon,

The usual routine is that my son spends Christmas Day with his mother and Boxing Day with me. Although, with him in his own place now, this might change. Simple things also keep me happy. Always good to embrace the beauty of the great outdoors :)

Tammy Theriault said...

man, I wish I could hike with you guys. I LOVE hiking and then seeing a decorated tree? priceless.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the links, and happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

What a cute little tree. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I've seen our trees downtown get knit bombed. In fact, one of my friends was in the habit of doing that!

Shannon Lawrence said...

It really is. They've stacked rocks around it to keep it from getting killed. Some day there will hopefully be a great big tree in its place.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm happy to!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Yay, good luck with your submissions!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm missing the hikes. I've been housebound with the kids since the surgery, and before that it was super cold. Looking forward to this Thursday when the temps will be up and the kids back in school. Hike withdrawal!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm just happy to be able to go hiking on a whim. They aren't the hardest trails, but there are a bunch of different ones to explore. And a swing rope somewhere that I've yet to find again. It's been years since I visited it.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thanks, D! Happy Holidays to you, too.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Happy New Year (and belated Merry Christmas)!