Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C is for Carnac Stones, Plus [M]WW, IWSG, Links

You can find my A-to-Z History's Mysteries post, my weekly links, and my IWSG entry below, as well.

***

Today's [Mostly] Wordless Wednesday, in keeping with the A-to-Z theme, is the Cave of the Winds, in Manitou Springs. Rather, a bit above Manitou Springs.





***

Now...

is for...

Carnac Stones









The Carnac stones are megaliths (large standing rocks) arranged in patterns near the village of Carnac in France. Thought to have been put up during the Neolithic period (9000 BCE to 3000 BCE, though the oldest stone is dated to about 4500 BCE, and the main body of the formations is dated to about 3300 BCE), the stones were cut, moved and arranged for this area. It should be noted that the Neolithic period is considered the New Stone Age, and the tools available were made of stone that was shaped and polished. No metal tools existed at this time.

Carnac Stones, Carnac, Brittany, France. Photograph by Mike Peel (www.mikepeel.net).Creative Commons CC-BY-SA-2.5. 29 June 2004.

There are several general alignments within the Carnac area: the Menec, Petit Menec, Kermario, and Kerlescan. These are made up of menhir, or standing stones. There are also tumuli, which are mounds of earth (thought to be burial mounds), and dolmens, structures made with standing rocks with a capstone or roof, also thought to be burial chambers. It is felt that the acidic soil would have destroyed any bones within.

Some of the stones are arranged in a linear fashion, while others are circular. Some claim to feel an energy around the stones. What is known is that there are over 3000 stones, making this the largest grouping of megaliths (the more famous Stonehenge is also considered a megalith, and is arranged in a circular fashion with capstones over the standing stones).

Now we come to our mystery. What were these for? Why are they here? How did they move these massive rocks?

Theories as to the reasoning behind the Carnac stones abound:

By Marek.69 talk (Own work)
[CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)
or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)],
via Wikimedia Commons
1. Some claim the stones are astronomically aligned, though research is ongoing as to whether this is true.
2. Aliens. They're everywhere. Some think they came down and educated the ancient peoples as to ways to use these rock formations to keep track of the stars, the solstices, or to control gravity.
3. As this area was seismically active, it is thought these were a warning of seismic activity. The dolmens, anyway, as the capstone could tumble if there were major activity. The menhirs are said to be arranged over fault lines. There is no proof of this, at this time.
4. Druids. Those bastards were everywhere, just like the aliens, putting up stones all over Europe. They knew a lot we didn't.
5. One article claimed the stones were in the order of the Pythagorean Theorem. This was the only article to say this, though, and it had a lot of incorrect information, so take that one with a grain of salt. Pythagorus was not yet alive when these stones were put up.
6. The neat arrangement is similar to that of modern day gravestones over burial plots, so perhaps they were giant tombstones.
7. They were signposts or a map.

What do you think is the reason behind the Carnac stones? Ever heard of them? How did they move those gigantic stones?

***

IWSG



Last month I had the most wonderful, supportive comments on my IWSG post, so instead of talking about my insecurities I wanted to make today a day of support for my fellow IWSG'ers. Whatever insecurity you hold, examine it, ponder it, and then let it go. Don't give it power over you unless that power is the inspiration you need to overcome it. What you can dream, you can do. And I hope we can all make those dreams a reality together.

***

Links

Accepting Submissions:

The University of Derby is holding their Buxton Poetry Competition. Deadline is April 8, so you have to hurry! Winners will be displayed at the Devonshire Dome during the Buxton Festival. There are some cash prizes.

Magination Press is accepting proposals for children's fiction and nonfiction books, including workbooks. They're also seeking illustrators.

Atomic Avarice is a new online Lit Mag looking for work inspired by civil disobedience and revolutionary ideology. All genres of fiction, as well as non-fiction, welcome. Different lengths and poetry also welcome. Pays $.01 per word. Pays $15 for art/photos.

Flash Fiction Online is open for submissions year-round. 500-1000 words. Pays $50 per story. Genre is whatever you like it to be.

Blog Stuff:

We've got some prizes being offered during the A-to-Z Challenge...

DL Hammons is offering a $75 Amazon Gift Card, to be awarded at the end of the A-to-Z. Each comment on his A-to-Z posts earns you an entry. Referring bloggers are entered to win a $25 Amazon Gift Card, so if you heard it here first, do me a favor and put a plug in for me!

Donna Shields will hold a drawing at the end of the A-to-Z for anyone who signed up for her newsletter during that time. $15 Gift Card for either Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Two lucky commenters on Alex J. Cavanaugh's A-to Z posts will win a copy of CassaStorm.

Other:

Project 387 is a 2-week residency for artists of all stripes: visual artists, performers, filmmakers, writers and art professionals. Living space, studio space and $800 stipend provided. Program will run August 4 to 18th, with five winners. Proposal due April 15.

May you find your Muse.

Letter C image is from clker.com, courtesy of Ted Gehring

54 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never been to that cave before, but I've been to Mammouth Caves in Kentucky and it was incredible.

Anonymous said...

Your comment about Druids gave me my first laugh of the day. And now I have to check out this insecure writer thing. Because, hello? But I don't have anything so cool to write about today--hm, I've still got most of the day to make something up, though.

Al Diaz said...

The first picture you have of those caves is amazing!
About Carnac, I would go with number 4. I like that one better.
IWSG-Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm trying to do. :D

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Love this - "Whatever insecurity you hold, examine it, ponder it, and then let it go. Don't give it power over you unless that power is the inspiration you need to overcome it." Isn't it funny how sometimes those feeling are just the impetus we need to get going and achieve? :)

Mary Aalgaard said...

You packed a lot into one post. Love the photos. I'm fascinated by carnac stones and places like The Medicine Wheel in Wyoming. I believe they are spiritual places, places of power, where you might get inspiration or direction, or flashes of other lives. I heard a voice.
Play off the Page

Misha Gerrick said...

Interesting stuff on the Carnac stones, but really, I want to thank you for your Accepting Submissions Section.

A while back, you posted a notice about a new editor at Etopia press. I checked her out and submitted... and she accepted the book!

And I definitely would not have submitted if not for you. ;-)

Elsie Amata said...

Your pictures of the caves are beautiful!

I absolutely agree with you about letting go of insecurities. It may be one of the hardest things to do but it's one of the best gifts we can give ourselves.

Visiting from IWSG

Elsie

Jeremy [Retro] said...

been in a cave as a youth, it was cool and creepy at the same time... nice captures you have...

Jeremy [Retro]
AtoZ Challenge Co-Host
Oh No, Let's Go... Crazy

miss uncertain said...

Did you take those pictures? The ones on the top? Those are really pretty! I haven't been in a cave before. Your posts are very informative. I'll be back tomorrow. :)


Sincerely,Miss Uncertain---sidetracked

Julie Flanders said...

I cracked up about the druids being everywhere LOL. Those bastards.

Thanks as always for sharing all that you do, your blog is such a great resource. :)

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Caves are popular today!

I have heard of the Carnac Stones, but never seen them.

Looking forward to what you do all month!

--
Tim Brannan
The Other Side and The Witch
Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
The Freedom of Nonbelief

Anonymous said...

Great post. Amazing stones. I like the upbeat tone to your IWSG part as well. :O)

Unknown said...

I'm really enjoying your posts as a lover of history and mysteries. My thought is that Aliens came down to teach the Druids about a man in the future named Pythagorus and his theorem. They were using the stones to show examples of it. I'm pretty sure thats 100% accurate.

Elliot
We Are Adventure

Maple Syrup Land said...

My guess would be the stones have some sort of religious/ritual significance. Maybe the druids were like ancient versions of Jehovahs Witnesses, but instead of coming to your door and bugging you, they arranged a bunch of stones in your yard to piss you off

Unknown said...

Enjoyed your pics and the info. Haven't been to the Carnac Sones.i have visited Stonehenge. It amazes me that people without modern day tools moved those stones. I am enthralled by tHe stones. Have been to several caves but they are all so different.

Unknown said...

Enjoyed your pics and the info. Haven't been to the Carnac Sones.i have visited Stonehenge. It amazes me that people without modern day tools moved those stones. I am enthralled by tHe stones. Have been to several caves but they are all so different.

Mark Means said...

I -always- blame those darned Druids!! :)

I've only been in one cave and it was an interesting experience...especially when they turned off all the lights. The darkness seemed to just swallow us.

Great info and links...thanks for sharing those. :)

KC Weldon said...

I've lived in Colorado Springs for 27 years and never been to the Cave of the Winds. Whoops.

And aliens. When in doubt, always blame the aliens. No one can prove it :D

KC @ The Occasional Adventures of a Hermit & Oh Frog It

Laura S. said...

Hi, Shannon! I'm sure they moved them with their minds. Though Aliens is always a good guess! ;)

Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

Kristen said...

This is a very interesting post, and the photos are beautiful. I am thoroughly enjoying your blog!

Jagoda said...

Both the cave and Carnac stones are so interesting. There are quite a few mysterious stones and monuments around the globe--maybe you're planning to include them too? Like the gigantic heads of Easter Island which are now turning out to be ginormous statues.

Unknown said...

I love hearing about the standing stones. I heard about the Carnac stones on a show on the History channel. Very interesting!

eN said...

Carnac Stones story was so good. Quite interesting.

Some of those could-be explanations are too hilarious :D

katie eggeman said...

I have been to Carlsbad caverns and caves are impressive. Those stone age folks have some impressive talents.

Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for mentioning my giveaway!
And good advice - just let it go, especially if it's not something you can control anyway.

Susan Kane said...

Love this line..."Druids. Those bastards were everywhere..."

I think they were the motivating force behind the stones.

Christine Rains said...

I laughed at your druids comment! I do think it was likely them, though. Aliens surely would use something better than rocks.

Marta Szemik said...

I absolutely love those cave pictures. And, thank you for the lovely IWSG words.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Definitely Druids. lol Enjoyed the post. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post for today. I'll probably never visit, so it was great to sort of go there. Thanks for the trip. MM

Sue McPeak said...

Great photos and interesting formations. The Carnac Stones...I'm going with 'Headstones for Giant Druids'...I hear those B*^%(> were everywhere. Only other Carnac I know of was Carnac the Great...that's it...Johnny Carson's Monument. Mystery solved!!!
Well done for Letter 'C'.
Sue~CollectInTexasGal
AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

Nick Wilford said...

Don't know what they're for but they're an amazing achievement. I heard recently that druidism was a fake invented only 200 years ago. Hmmm...

D.G. Hudson said...

It would be interesting to know why and how stones of this size are arranged.

Megalithic projects didn't seem to bother our ancestors. What provided the muscle power?

Andrew Leon said...

I think we can rule out earthquakes. If it was strong enough to knock the capstone off, you wouldn't need it to tell you there was an earthquake going on.

However, that anti-gravity theory is interesting...

Bill Somogyi said...

Hard to say we're talking about a period in time where people were afraid of everything.

Jak said...

Digging the pictures!

At first I wasn't sure what exactly the Carnac Stones were that you spoke of. Then I recall seeing them on some show, that I think I stumbled across randomly accidentally coincidentally right at the precise moment the Stones were mentioned called Ancient Aliens. *coughcoughokayItotallywatchitcoughcough*

I wish I could recall what they said, as it was fairly interesting — given their layout (possibly being lined up with the world grid?)— but naturally their theory was aliens.

That druid comment made me laugh pretty hard!

Also, that advice about insecurities is sound advice for all emotions. Emotions are real, and they are okay... love, anger, embarrassment. Be aware of them and go through the process you described. The key is not letting them control you.

Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

Laura Eno said...

So true about not giving power to your insecurities.

I'm fascinated by standing stones! There is so much hidden and only guessed at, ripe fodder for stories. :)

Chuck said...

Shannon, I have to go with aliens. I have read so much about these type of formations and visitors from the sky that it is possible. And the simple logic of how did these formations come about with no modern tools of any kind. It is a fascinating subject to me.

Chuck at Apocalypse Now

Nancy Hilliard Peirce said...

Tagging along behind Julie Flanders and so glad I did! Interesting post, and I'm going with the aliens! =)

Jeff Hargett said...

These types of things has always intrigued me. Sometimes though, the mystery is what makes it fun.

Rachel said...

I don't really know where anything like that came from. What I do know, is that it was proven to be possible by the people on the show Fact or Faked. They used tools from the correct time frame to prove that Stonehenge could be created by average people.

I think it might be a graveyard, though. It makes sense to me. Perhaps it was like a version of the Pyramids of Egypt.

Heidi Mannan said...

Very cool! Yet another place I now want to go.

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I wish I could travel back in time to see how ancient civilizations did certain things.

DayDreamer said...

I always though Obelix made them for those B***ard Druids.
Seriously, though, stones like these are fascinating and the mysery only enhances that.

mooderino said...

Druids! They were definitely up to something...

Dani and Jax said...

Those stones are pretty cool!
Dani & Jax @ Cover Girls

Unknown said...

I've never heard of these carnac stones before but they sure look like gravestones. Just looking at the photos alone, it looks like a graveyard.

CommonWeeder said...

I did not know about the carnac stones. In our Massachusetts hill town we have some mysterious stones. Some think it was a long ago farmer's joke. Some reply that Heath is where ley lines cross and therefore . . .

A Beer for the Shower said...

I'm assuming the person who claims they're the result of aliens is that goober from that History channel show Ancient Aliens, right? The one who said aliens are pretty much responsible for everything in the ancient world?

Laura Clipson said...

Interesting stuff! I always wonder where things like this came from and why they are there, but I think they'll always be one of the mysteries of the world.

Unknown said...

I saw a program (documentary) on the box that reckoned stonehenge was a burial ground as there were graves around the exterior of the outer ring...these had been dug up and buried again in a grave, with all the bones mixed up. The Documentary didn't further any one theory or another, so still at a loss here.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Melanie, I've never been to those caves, or to Kentucky, but I've heard of them! Would love to visit them.

MB, I need to come check it out. The topic looked funny!

Al, thank you! 4, it's a good one!

Madeline, I agree. Sometimes it takes feeling insecure or getting a rejection letter (for instance) to get you moving and accomplishing.

Mary, I would love to visit one of these places and feel it for myself.

Misha, I'm so happy to hear that! You made my day! Congratulations!

Elsie, thank you! Yes, it's definitely hard. Easy to say, not so easy to do.

Jeremy, thanks! I think I've also been to the Sea Lion Caves in Oregon, but I was too young to remember. So this is it, really.

Miss Uncertain, I did! Thank you very much.

Julie, hee hee, I'm glad! And thank you!

Tim, I bet! I haven't run across the cave posts yet, but I'm sure I will.

Madeleine, my IWSG was so down last month I felt I needed to give back in a positive way this month.

Elliot, awesome new theory! I'm digging it.

Maple, that's hysterical! Could be. Definitely a valid theory. ;)

Betty, it sounds like you have had some interesting adventures! I'd love to go to Stonehenge.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Mark, they turned off the lights on us, too! I'm not claustrophobic, but, admittedly, that's not the most pleasant thing.

KC, ha, that's true, always the aliens! And gasp! They're worth visiting. I'd like to do one of the lantern tours some day, but I haven't had the chance.

Laura, ah-ha! A theory not yet presented! Why not? It's the only way it makes sense.

Kristen, thanks so much!

Jagoda, well, now that it's E Eve I can say that I am quite possibly going to feature Easter Island. ;)

Frances, I didn't remember hearing about them before. Always just Stonehenge and Easter Island, but there are so many cool spots out there once you start looking into it.

Nandana, I thought they were all quite realistic! ;)

Katie, I'd love to visit Carlsbad!

Alex, it's so easy to say, but hard to do. I have things writing and non-writing I need to let go of.

Susan, a vote for druids!

Christine, now that is a good point. Aliens would have left something a little easier to read.

Marta, thank you! I was happy to be able to be positive this month.

Karen, I think the druids are winning! That, or the aliens.

MM, thank you! glad you enjoyed it.

Sue, ha! Never connected it to Johnny Carson! That's it!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Nick, now THAT is interesting! I'll have to look into that.

D.G., you're so right. These sorts of projects are all over the place, yet with all our technology we can't figure out how they did it.

Andrew, the gravity theory is interesting, isn't it?

Bill, that's true! But were they afraid of druids??

Jak, hahaha, suuuuure. Actually, I think that's one of the shows I have in my queue on Netflix. The world grid is an interesting one.

Laura, especially considering how long they've stood for, yet we lose modern buildings to earthquakes and other natural effects.

Chuck, what are the theories for why they do stuff like this?

Nancy, I think you and Chuck have firmly moved aliens into first place!

Jeff, true, the mystery often makes it better. If we knew exactly how they did it, we'd probably shrug and lose interest.

Rachel, Fact or Faked sounds like an interesting show! Graveyard would make sense. They are fairly neatly organized.

Heidi, me, too!

Medeia, me, too. Wouldn't that be fascinating?

DayDreamer, ha! Yes, that's it!

Mooderino, always up to something! Sneaky little dudes.

Dani & Jax, they are, aren't they?

Clarissa, they do, don't they? Especially with people scattered throughout.

Common, how cool to have your very own stone mystery!

Bryan (& Brandon), that's not where I found it, but I'm betting a lot of the people claiming it saw it there. Personally, I find druids more interesting. ;)

Laura, we could never prove anything, so they have to remain a mystery! I'm okay with that.

Wicked, I hadn't heard of the graves around Stonehenge. Now that is interesting!