Wednesday, June 7, 2023

IWSG - Taking Time for Myself

 


It's IWSG time again! Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG gives writers a place to air their insecurities and support other authors in their insecurities.

Before jumping in, I want to say a quick goodbye to "Chemist Ken," Ken Rahmoeller. I was sorry to hear of his death. He was a nice guy here in IWSG-Land and Blog-Land, and there will be a hole without him.

This month's co-hosts are Patricia Josephine, Diedre Knight, Olga Godim, J. Lenni Dorner, and Cathrina Constantine. Be sure to stop by!

This month's optional question is "If you ever did stop writing, what would you replace it with?"

I tell you what, I'm in the middle of a big writing project, but am in limbo while I wait for something back from the publishing company, and I've gotten SO. MUCH. done! So many things that I set aside repeatedly, because I don't have time between writing, podcasting, and my day job. Photo things, cleaning things, and organizational things. So, admittedly, I would probably just get more normal life things done and focus a bit more on photography and scrapbooking. I'd get more outside time. Sometimes I fantasize about just having free time to organize the pantry or read during the day. But it turns out when I've set aside all other writing projects for one that requires a quick turnaround, only to then be left waiting for over a week for something I need to move forward, my stress levels change, as does my "free time." Given, I put free time in quotations for a reason. I still fill the time, but it feels different. Normally, if I have any time, I guilt myself into writing to fill that time.

Last night, I relaxed around the firepit with my husband, because I'm also trying to keep myself to clocking out at dinner time from the day job, and to not sign back in at night. I need to draw some lines. There's only one night per week that I should be working late into the evening, and that's Thursday. All other nights I should be keeping my day job to day time. Most days, I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the computer lately, and that's not okay. We also ate at the dinner table for the first time in about two weeks, because there was stuff piled up there and I was busy working, anyway.


With the free time, though, I also went through and submitted a handful of short stories, which I was not doing for a while, as I had set aside short stories to work on my novel. Since that is also on hold, though, it was easier to submit some already written stories than to go back to novel editing only to have to stop when it's time for next steps in the current project.

Best laid plans and all that. When an opportunity drops in your lap, you drop everything else and put your all into it. Here's hoping it comes to fruition. If not, I got a peek into a different kind of writing world.

Have you done anything for yourself lately? Do you have anything you can do to give yourself more sustainable time? What would you do with extra time? What are your insecurities?

May you find your Muse.


13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

An evening around the firepit sounds nice.
Sometimes it's nice to get all of those other things done. Or just take time to relax.

Nick Wilford said...

It sounds like there's something exciting afoot. Good luck with it.

I can see how I would do other things if I stopped writing, but I don't really do anything else creative. I'd want to come back to it sooner or later.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm going to lump publishing stuff in with with writing and say when I get a lull, it's like wow - look at all the other stuff I can get done now!

Jemi Fraser said...

Crossing my fingers for your opportunity!
My writing is my Me time - but I also need to make sure I need to pay attention to the real life stuff that I tend to ignore :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

I think it's really good to draw some lines around your work and writing time to give yourself time to relax, exercise, and spend time with those you love. Your husband and others you love may be taken from you at some point and you want to know you spend as much quality time with them as possible. So I really hope you figure out how to block out more time for you.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You are so busy. Sitting around the firepit sounds nice.

emaginette said...

Self-care is a priority round here. I swear finding joy took years and now that I found it, I won't let anything mess with it.

I'm glad you're keeping busy, but I'm also worried you're going to burn out if you don't pace yourself. Keep your joy safe. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Loni Townsend said...

I hope your opportunity turns out fruitful, and I hope clocking out at dinner time brings better mental peace.

Tyrean Martinson said...

An evening around the firepit sounds relaxing. My husband and I have gone for a few bike rides in the last few weeks. I have an ebike that helps me keep up with him (mostly), and it is glorious to get outside for a while.
Best wishes with all your writing endeavors.

Eden "Kymele" Mabee said...

It does seem to be too easy to fill in those "spare" moments, even if the writing projects aren't there to demand our attention. I think spending time with your husband is perfect though. It's those moments that will make it easier to make progress when you are busy.

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

I think it's nice that you and your husband were able to spend some time together to relax. We all need that break even from our most passionate work such as writing. Good luck on both the short stories and novel!

ib said...

Shannon, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Nate. I have recently joined IWSG and am trying to make the rounds. I blogged long ago but lost touch. Life has thrown in a monkey wrench or two and I find myself finding things that I have come to miss. You can find my story at Habitual Hobbit if you feel so inclined. I am crusading now, looking for books to read. I am a sucker for a good blog name and The Warrior Muse struck my fancy. Hope to have a chance to read your work in the near future.

DMS said...

I have been trying to do more for myself lately! It feels so good to get some normal things done that I have wanted to do for ages. I am glad you are finding more time to relax and drawing the line with the day job. Great job! :)
~Jess