Wednesday, April 7, 2021

IWSG - Pushing Boundaries

 It's time for the April Insecure Writer's Support Group!


Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG serves to provide support to insecure writers and for writers to support each other. Anyone can participate. Click on Alex's name to view the rules.

Thank you to our co-hosts this month:  PK Hrezo, Pat Garcia, SE White, Lisa Buie Collard, and Diane Burton!

I've just finished classwork and am tiiiired and ready for bed, so today's post will be short.

Optional Question: Are you a risk-taker when writing? Do you try something radically different in style/POV/etc. or add controversial topics to your work?

I do try to stretch myself and try new things, including different styles and genres. I've written in all POVs. I've changed up my style multiple times. That's the beauty of short stories. There's more latitude to explore. And, yes, as I write horror there can be controversial topics involved. It's kind of the point of horror, other than to terrify, horrify, make uneasy, etc.

As for insecurities, I got some writing done during my week off between school terms, and I've submitted those stories. It felts amazing! I'm itching to work on projects I want to work on, but I need to focus more on school for now. I'll relax once I've gotten ahead of the schedule I need to be on, and then I'll have time and freedom to write.

Monthly submission check-in:

9 submissions

6 rejections

0 acceptances

13 stories currently on submission

I'm probably holding submissions that get rejected so I can consider what stories I might want to keep for my next collection and which ones I want to keep submitting. Some stories are, by nature, harder to find a home for, and I often know before I start submitting them that their chances of finding the right editor who loves them are low, but I often try a couple place that are possible first. After that, I keep them. The reasons for this can simply be because they have gore or another hard aspect that's a hard sell (most of the semi-pro and pro horror magazines want literary horror, which is not something I write much of), that they're horror comedy (which a lot of markets aren't interested in), or that the overall aspect of the story isn't something that will fit into niche markets. I do also check in to see if there are new markets that might be more receptive to a certain type of story, but otherwise, I hold those stories until I can put them out on my own.

I did address that I'd be changing things up in the future (when school is over), but for now I'll keep submitting what I've already got written so I don't get rusty, and because that's at least an aspect I can keep going during school. But ARGH, the new and different projects want my attention NOW!

Are you writing? Submitting? Publishing? Any personal publication news you want to share? What are your insecurities? Do you push boundaries with your writing?

May you find your Muse.

13 comments:

Liza said...

I give you credit for continuing to submit in spite of your busy schedule!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Literary horror? Is that like Frankenstein?
I like horror comedy. Don't give up on that.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's awesome that you are getting some writing and submitting done during your break from school. That's really being dedicated to your writing.

Jemi Fraser said...

It's so hard to keep those stories marinating instead of getting them down on paper. Although my brain sometimes makes them better during that process.
Keep it up - you're doing great!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - you're doing so much and obviously life is constantly changing for you - enjoy your learning and thus change ... all the best - Hilary

cleemckenzie said...

You're right about using the short story to experiment. They are perfect for trying out new ways to tell a tale.

PK HREZO said...

Hey Shannon! That's so great you write short stories. I'd love to try but I don't know if I have "short" in me. lol. But i can see that is where audience attention spans are heading. I wish you the best of luck in your sub journey!! I'm in the throes of rejections too, so I know how challenging it is.

Chrys Fey said...

It's hard to find please for stories that are different or considered "hard sells" when there's probably a lot of readers who'd like them.

Olga Godim said...

I too find the shorter format liberating. I even submitted one of my stories to a magazine recently, although I don't have much hope in their acceptance. The theme of their magazine is not the exact match to my story.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Some stories might not fit the conventional market, so keeping them for another anthology is a good idea.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

It's interesting how this question was received different from different people. I took it to mean the same as you did. Happy IWSG day, Shannon.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I wish I was as busy submitting as you are. I'll be interested to hear what you're changing up.

Diane Burton said...

I'd admire your tenacity in submitting. Good for you that you try new things.