Monday, July 13, 2015

What's a Girl to do in an E-Pub World?

My dreams of being published have always involved holding a book or magazine in my hands to flip through the pages and see my name in print. However, the world has changed over the years, and now we're living in an e-pub world, which means most of my publications so far have been in e-form. While I'm excited to be published in any form, I've only had the opportunity to hold a book that includes my writing once, with Sunday Snaps: The Stories. That book rests on my shelf, there to be picked up whenever I want to hold it. I don't know about you, but my Kindle doesn't provide that tangible sensation a book made of paper does.



Up to this point, I have gotten a Funko Pop villain as a physical representation of my stories (I have more than in that photo now), and as a visual reward for each of my publications. However, other than reading the e-copies of the books/magazines, I've had no other interaction with my stories.

What to do?

This evening I sat down and printed up the covers of the anthologies and magazines that include my work. I haven't worked out the details yet, but I'll be putting them in a binder so I can flip through and see the covers. This is also where my contracts will be kept. Yes, I kill trees and print them up. I like to have the physical forms in front of me, and always have better reading comprehension with something on a piece of paper vs. something on a screen. So I print them up to review them before signing/agreeing, then I file them.

I'm deciding whether to print up my stories to keep in the binder behind the covers. I keep the e-books/magazines on my Kindle so I have the closest to a physical copy of the book or magazine possible.

I'd like to hear what everyone else does with their e-books. I'd love to steal your great ideas (but only the ones that involve how to best treasure your e-publications.)

How do you save your e-books/publications? Do you print up the covers? Do you display them? If so, how? Do you keep hard copies of your e-published stories? What do you do with them? Where do you keep the e-copies?

May you find your Muse.

23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a good idea. I have physical copies of my novels, but several of the anthologies I've contributed to are only in eBook form. You should print out your stories for that binder.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I print all of my online stories and keep them in clear plastic sleeves in binders. Each binder has a list of the stories, where they were published and the date. It's a huge boost to flip through the pages and see how much I really have accomplished on this writing journey so far. Sometimes I forget that and those binders are wonderful reminders. :)

Chrys Fey said...

I've only published eBooks so far and never have been published in a magazine or newspaper, so I yearn to be able to hold one of my works too. One day, we both will!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I do make a hard copy of every cover and keep a folder on each book series where I keep a hard copy of the contract and the maps I've drawn of the world I created for them and anything else that belongs to that series. Most of my books are available in print so I keep a copy of those nearby too. Go for it and print yourself a copy.
Susan Says

A Beer for the Shower said...

The only magazine we were in physically had a comically misspelled cover, it misspelled one of our names, and had artwork that looked like it was drafted up by (I'm assuming) someone's six year old. Sometimes not having a physical copy is okay.

Outside of our physical paperback books, which grace our mantles, we've printed (professionally) and framed our favorite covers.

dolorah said...

I like the idea of printing the covers as a physical reminder. I have a few anthologies I'm published in on my bookshelf, but like you, nothing for the e-books. Placing the links on the blog isn't the same as touching the pages.

Andrew Leon said...

I have not found a need to have physical manifestations of my work. I, of course, have copies of the books. Except, well, -I- don't have copies of them; my kids do. So, other than my ragged copy of House that I read from each year, I haven't bothered to make physical any of my work to keep for myself. It's just never seemed important.

cleemckenzie said...

I think printing up a copy and holding it very satisfying. The ebooks are great, but you can't hug them like you can the paper versions.

Yolanda Renée said...

I love your idea! I'm like you a physical representation is so important.

Michelle Wallace said...

I'm going to do like-wise, print copies of my online pieces, including the covers of the publications they appeared in.
At heart I'm a paper-back gal!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm leaning toward doing that. It will be cool to flip through. One of the magazines I was in sent me a PDF form in addition to the other formats, so I might be able to print up the magazine formatted version.

Shannon Lawrence said...

That's a great idea! I do have a spreadsheet on my computer of my publications (so I can track when rights revert to me, etc.), but a form in the binder would be great, too.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I hope it's soon for both of us!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I have a composition book (color coded) for the novels I have in the works, but I like the idea of the folders. I could even color code them with the composition books!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I was thinking of framing a couple of them, too. I have this great frame that has a swivel door on it so it can easily be opened to switch out photos. I may have to acquire an additional one (the one I currently have has pics of the kids, of course.)

Shannon Lawrence said...

It really isn't the same. I printed up the covers the other day, and have already looked through them a couple times. And showed them to my husband, haha.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I love the tactile experience, and it's always been important to me. I'm excited about one of the journals I have work coming out in soon, because I'll get physical copies AND they're kid-friendly (most of what I write isn't), so I'll be getting copies for each of my kiddos. Another first in this career.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Exactly!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I can't explain the why of it, but I definitely feel that way.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Me, too! I respect the digital world, but I work better with paper.

Kimberly said...

I just go some great ideas from you. :) I wish I had some ideas to share.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Ebooks are cheap and sell better than print. Although, I'm old school and like print. I purchase my print books and keep them nicely preserved on a shelf next to my Harry Potter collection...

Julie Flanders said...

I love your ideas for the binder. I wish I had some ideas to share but I am totally blank. But I think that binder will definitely be a treasure to have.
And I LOVE your Funko collection! I'm totally obsessed with those toys and I think your collection is awesome. What a great idea.