Wednesday, December 1, 2021

IWSG - Beta Reads & ShaNo Results

It's time for the December (holy cow!) Insecure Writer's Support Group post.


Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the IWSG exists so writers can get and give support about their insecurities. Anyone can join. Simply click on Alex's name and put your blog on the linky list, then hop around to visit your fellow IWSG'ers.

This month's co-hosts are PJ Colando, Diane Burton, Louise – Fundy Blue, Natalie Aguirre, and Jacqui Murray!

The optional question this month is "In your writing, what stresses you the most? What delights you?"

Editing probably stresses me out the most. Not so much line editing, but content editing and trying to tweak it to be better. I love the first draft, because I can just free flow my writing and write whatever comes out. The stress comes in reeling that in.

Speaking of which, my craft novel on the business of short stories is out to beta readers right this second, with today being the day I've asked them to get their comments back to me. As I posted on Facebook, it's nerve-wracking and exciting at the same time. The first ones that have come in have been encouraging, so that's good. 

Keeping it brief today, so I'm going directly to my submission stats for November. Doing this each month keeps me on my toes.

8 submissions

9 rejections

1 story withdrawn with an assumption that it's rejected

1 story published

18 stories on submission, with several needing to be turned around

In terms of my ShaNoShoStoWriEdSubMo goals, I met the word goals for the current craft novel and completed it. However, I was too eager to get to initial edits, so didn't bother with the short story writing goals. With two appearances scheduled in mid-January, I'm trying to figure out how realistic it would be to move up my timeline on the craft novel release. If it isn't reasonable, I'll at least need to have some shwag available to get it out there since I have a signing mixed in there.

Did you meet your NaNo or other monthly goals in November? What are your insecurities? What stresses you out about writing? Did you submit anything this month?

May you find your Muse.

31 comments:

Liza said...

Right now querying is my stress inducer. But I'm going to hold off until after the holidays in sending any more, so I get a break. Hoping you get great feedback on your craft book.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon - well done on getting your book out to beta-readers ... but how encouraging to get supportive comments back - good luck ... cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great you are getting response back today. There are so many who write short stories that your book will be such a help to those writers.

Jemi Fraser said...

Great job! I'm so impressed with your short story writing and submitting!!! Your craft book will be excellent!

Leigh Caron said...

Always sweet when the responses are positive. I admire all your efforts. Wishing you the merriest and healthiest Holiday Season ever!

cleemckenzie said...

Beta readers are essential, but it is a stressful experience: sending that manuscript to them, waiting for the reply, getting the critique.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Always the push to have something to hand out at appearances!

Loni Townsend said...

Oh yes, you can never tell what the betas are going to say. Hopefully helpful things!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm the opposite of you. The first draft stresses me, but I love revising. Hope your beta readers have good feedback for you.

Olga Godim said...

I'll second Natalie Aguirre. I love editing and rewriting. The first draft is always a challenge for me.

Nick Wilford said...

I love drafting too... when it's going well. I'm either on a hot streak or totally dried up, so it's a very up-and-down experience.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Querying is definitely stressful. Taking a break for the holidays sounds like a good idea.

Shannon Lawrence said...

The comments have been wonderful, so far, with lots of great suggestions.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I truly hope so.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I can definitely understand that. I was going to do the same, but couldn't help but open them as they started to come in.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Truth. Every word. It's hard, but vital.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Definitely! Which means I need the cover done ASAP, even if the book isn't ready.

Shannon Lawrence said...

So far, they're very helpful!

Shannon Lawrence said...

You and Alex! While I do like the simple pen and paper edit, it's those big story edits that I find rough.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I always find it so interesting how much we all differ in the same field. This and pantsing vs. plotting always make for good conversations.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I can understand that. It feels so good when the words are flowing.

Sonia Dogra said...

I like drafting. Can't say quite about editing though. You're doing a lot of writing which is great.

Diane Burton said...

I don't do NaNo, too much stress. Congrats to all who added words to their WIP. Congrats on your story acceptance.

Fundy Blue said...

You are inspiring, Shannon, because you keep at it and have lots in the works! Your craft books sound intriguing. Wishing you lots of success as you juggle everything! Take care!

Kalpana said...

I'm always impressed by how goal oriented you are. It's definitely something to emulate. Congratulations on getting your book out to beta readers.

Melissa said...

I admire people who can survive the querying process. Good luck on your craft book and your submissions. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Editing is definitely not my favorite. I'm currently avoiding it by being on here.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you! I don't do regular NaNo, but it's a good way to jump on the energy train.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Thank you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I appreciate that, thank you!